Why do you people advertise your political affiliation?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
upload_2020-10-24_14-14-27.jpeg

I don't understand.

When I'm driving down a neighborhood I just see lawn signs, flags that read "Trump 2020" or "Biden/Harris". Hell, I've even seen a giant Donald Trump blow up doll.

My question is... why?

What do you get out of it? What is the purpose of it? Why does anyone care who you are voting for? Is it going to somehow get someone to wanna vote for your candidate? If anything, it will make someone with opposing views judge or dislike you.

I remember when people used to say "Keep politics and religion to yourself." What tf happened?

Maybe Joe Rogan is right when he's going on his high speeches about humans being tribal chimpanzees who must be part of some sort of opposing groups.

(Mods, this isn't a political post, it's an inquiry of human nature, please don't move it.)

It's our tribal nature. People love lining up on teams and then shitting on the other teams. For proof look no further than the videogame subforum, where a number of people have been embroiled in a Hatfield and McCoy style feud for years over fucking videogames.

It's our tribal nature. People love lining up on teams and then shitting on the other teams. For proof look no further than the videogame subforum, where a number of people have been embroiled in a Hatfield and McCoy style feud for years over fucking videogames.

Facts. I think the same holds true for sports teams. I mean, it's cool to have a team you're rooting for just to have fun but when people start assualting each other and rioting because their team lost the adult version of freeze tag?

<{nope}>

Facts. I think the same holds true for sports teams. I mean, it's cool to have a team you're rooting for just to have fun but when people start assualting each other and rioting because their team lost the adult version of freeze tag?

<{nope}>
It just shows that under that thin veneer of civility, deep down we're still animals

Campaigns like to have lots of signs up because it’s a cheap way of getting their name and agenda out there. There is a whole history of political signs and laws related to them that is super interesting to absolutely no one

(except me) : ]

Pride, some believe they are doing the right thing and advertise it not in an attempt for being provocative (nowadays a bit do), but kind of like showing that they're "decent folks"

The odd one was in our area a few months ago, a bunch starting having signs that say "I support our front line workers" and got iffy with those who didn't put signs on their yard. Meanwhile said people have never done jack for them but put up a cheap sign for social fluff. A more expensive version of tinting your facebook profile pic to show how much you care and shame others who don't follow the line.

I truly don’t understand this either. It’s one thing to show off being a fan of a certain sports team. That’s relatively harmless and just a display of your personality. A political affiliation is so deeply personal though and can have actual effects on those around you. It seems to do nothing but invite conflict and division especially in this election that’s is so intensely divisive. I don’t get why you would invite that into your life.

Pride, some believe they are doing the right thing and advertise it not in an attempt for being provocative (nowadays a bit do), but kind of like showing that they're "decent folks"

The odd one was in our area a few months ago, a bunch starting having signs that say "I support our front line workers" and got iffy with those who didn't put signs on their yard. Meanwhile said people have never done jack for them but put up a cheap sign for social fluff. A more expensive version of tinting your facebook profile pic to show how much you care and shame others who don't follow the line.
In my neighborhood there started to be a speckle of people replacing the lights on the front of their homes with blue bulbs to show support for the police. My neighbor across the street is a cop and I felt pressure to do the same. I didn’t but it just shows how the path we’re going on in life that you can’t even go to the sanctity of your own home without some type pressure for a political statement.

Meanwhile said people have never done jack for them but put up a cheap sign for social fluff.

Is that a huge assumption on your part or do you stalk these people?

Tell ya what, the amount of garden signs or posters in the window rarely points to that party winning. In England the left are always very public about their views so you see vote Labour signs everywhere. Conservatives tend to keep quiet but all go out and elect them in. Same as on twitter where every left winger will let you know their views but the silent majority is often against them.

From the Internet I don't think it's the same in America. Republicans are more likely to knock around with a trump sticker on their car. I guess it depends which state you are in?

Is that a huge assumption on your part or do you stalk these people?
they're not nurses, cops, EMTs, or firefighters. A few talked with said they wanted to support hence putting the signs up, when I asked if they donated or had family that worked in those careers they were quiet and tried changing the topic

View attachment 809292

I don't understand.

When I'm driving down a neighborhood I just see lawn signs, flags that read "Trump 2020" or "Biden/Harris". Hell, I've even seen a giant Donald Trump blow up doll.

My question is... why?

What do you get out of it? What is the purpose of it? Why does anyone care who you are voting for? Is it going to somehow get someone to wanna vote for your candidate? If anything, it will make someone with opposing views judge or dislike you.

I remember when people used to say "Keep politics and religion to yourself." What tf happened?

Maybe Joe Rogan is right when he's going on his high speeches about humans being tribal chimpanzees who must be part of some sort of opposing groups.

(Mods, this isn't a political post, it's an inquiry of human nature, please don't move it.)
Maybe to remind you to vote, but I doubt it. And it isn't like Trump or Biden are going to see it. Used to live in Fairfax 20 miles out of DC and strangely it was 50/50 Hilary or Trump signs. Went Shenandoaah for a few days and I saw one Hilary sign and a ton of Trump signs with the confederate flag. I wanted to bang on their door and give them a hug for having the bollocks to put it out there. But I wouldn't put one out, I would expect vandilism for a start.

View attachment 809292

I don't understand.

My question is... why?

I've often thought the same thing. In local elections, it might bring some name recognition when people nobody knows are running. Do people really think it will influence others in a national election?

Idk, I find it kind of obnoxious. Also,
I hate it when people have bumper stickers for political candidates or political movements/ causes.

People seem to think virtue signaling will garner them credibility within their community/social circle. And oftentimes it does.

In defense of people who advertise their political affiliations, we live in a particularly hyperpoliticized time, that it can become difficult to not respond to what is going on around you.

There’s a Doug Stanhope routine I like about how if he can tell whether you are gay or straight within 2 minutes of meeting you you’re probably an asshole, that pretty much sums up how I feel about peoples’ politics.

Need to "be a part of something"/belong
Pretence of having a personality/be a 'thinker'

Back