why do UFC announcers use tired old wrong boxing nomenclature (a better way to describe strikes)

As someone with a scientific education who has been involved with fight sports their entire life I have always used a very simple reliable and one hundred percent accurate naming system to describe strikes completely devoid of any reference to whether or not the athlete was leading with their left or right hand!
Just quoting this because of how ridiculous you sound

View attachment 852560
ZealousChubbyEft-small.gif

I don't hit as hard as that believe it or not

There is a such thing as a left cross and a right hook. Seems like you forgot your meds brah.
Do southpaws throw overhand lefts? Trying to remember the last time I saw an overhand left but I can't.

Do southpaws throw overhand lefts? Trying to remember the last time I saw an overhand left but I can't.
Everything a conventional fighter throws a lefty throws too.

Why is greenland icy, and iceland has lots of greenery?

They never say “right hand”? You think they only say right cross? Lol.....
yeah they occasionally say right hand as well when they mean to say right cross, I just think it's funny that they almost never say "left cross"

a cross is a cross...its the same punch, I remember back in the 80s when two "Southpaws" were fighting each other the announcers where really confused how to describe the fight and if you were listening to a radio broadcast good luck

Every once in a blue moon you'll hear someone say left cross or overhand left but it's pretty rare... I was into boxing before the UFC aired and I remember bringing this up with the boxing people who immediately looked at me as if I had completely blown their mind

I figured you martial arts characters would be a bit sharper

The simple fact is all nomenclature is based on someone leading with their left hand and in Muay Thai and MMA especially it's critical to be able to switch stances because your lead leg can get blown and you need to be able to protect it so you can walk off the pain

jab
cross
lead hook
hook
lead uppercut
uppercut
overhand

its just that simple

yeah they occasionally say right hand as well when they mean to say right cross, I just think it's funny that they almost never say "left cross"

a cross is a cross...its the same punch, I remember back in the 80s when two "Southpaws" were fighting each other the announcers where really confused how to describe the fight and if you were listening to a radio broadcast good luck

Every once in a blue moon you'll hear someone say left cross or overhand left but it's pretty rare... I was into boxing before the UFC aired and I remember bringing this up with the boxing people who immediately looked at me as if I had completely blown their mind

I figured you martial arts characters would be a bit sharper

The simple fact is all nomenclature is based on someone leading with their left hand and in Muay Thai and MMA especially it's critical to be able to switch stances because your lead leg can get blown and you need to be able to protect it so you can walk off the pain

jab
cross
lead hook
hook
lead uppercut
uppercut
overhand

its just that simple
No one is disagreeing that it’s simple. We’re disagreeing with your weird take on how it’s described.

No one is disagreeing that it’s simple. We’re disagreeing with your weird take on how it’s described.
My take is 100% scientifically accurate

what's "weird" is referring to a punch based solely on what side its thrown from like "overhand right"

When you say left hook to the boxing public everyone thinks lead hook because boxing nomenclature is 100% based on someone leading with the left hand

In modern fight Sports people switch so left hook is no longer a good way to describe a Punch coming off your lead hand

I'm burdened with a scientific mind so these things annoy me. I know it's hard to let go of your beloved traditions even when they are inaccurate descriptions

"wow he landed a great left hand there"

... how do you land a left-hand?

Back