Why do the gracies disagree with some ufc black belts?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read an article about one of the gracies believing that some of the people in the ufc like rashad evans and chris weidman. I think rashad evans and chris weidman deserve the black belt because chris weidman actually trains with one of the gracies and practices bjj but i don't know about rashad evans i don't know that much about his brazilian jiu jitsu but i do know that chris weidman and rashad evans are both elite wrestlers, why do the gracies disagree? And does anyone else disagree with this?

Wrestling isn't BJJ. Weidman's BJJ is really good, i don't know if he's black belt...but there are other black belts the Gracie can take issue with instead of The Chris. Chris has atleast competed with some of the best in the world in submission grappling.

Like Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez to name a couple....but MMA is littered with supposed black belts who would probably get worked over in a pure BJJ match with guys who actually worked for a purple and just weren't given a black belt by the BJJ instructor who is affiliated with whatever MMA team.

their idiots , the sport has passed them by

The Gracie's are still heavily influential in MMA training despite not having a relevant fighter bearing their name. Their name isn't going away ever. They will also eventually have a Gracie who will be a successful cross trainer and be a top ranked fighter, but BJJ comes first in that family.

Some Gracie's will take issue with the clear mcdojo nature of MMA gyms when it comes to belt rank....some Gracie's have shown to be part of that problem by giving black belts to guys who probably wouldn't be anything above a purple at best if they played by the same standards as pure BJJ gyms that aren't mcdojo's.

Gracie Jiu jitsu has a self defense aspect to it and judo so you technically need to be proficient in that stuff too and lots of these techniques aren't used in mma. Jiu jitsu just isn't ground fighting.

Also getting a black belt by a Gracie is not a result of how good your competition game is. Tbh you can train 3 years and be a gold medalist at the worlds if you have a decent game with good strategy. Gracie's don't usually give black belts unless you are training 10+ years and you are well rounded in all aspects of Jiu jitsu.

So much ignorance in some of the above posts.

Tell me who your belt is from and I can tell you how legit it is.

The Chris received his Black Belt from Serra/Renzo.

Rashad received his Black Belt from Rolles lol... nuff said.

I'd be really hesitant to say that this or that MMA fighter doesn't deserve a BJJ black belt based on what we have seen them do in the cage.

Rolling with the gi is just so completely different. And that's a HUGE part of BJJ.

Also, getting a black belt doesn't mean you can hang with Galvao on the mat. There is a big difference between being a black belt and being a world champ.

I didn't know Weidman got his black belt, but if he did, he got it from Serra. Nobody can question Serra's judgment on that; Serra is totally qualified to award a black belt.
Rashad's was a little questionable, because he didn't actually spend time training with a gi or going through any BJJ curriculum. He trained with Rolles Jr. at Jackson's, they rolled without a gi on many times, and Rolles just gave it to him.

I guess some of them are earned doctorate degrees and some of them are more like "honorary" doctorates...

I read an article about one of the gracies believing that some of the people in the ufc like rashad evans and chris weidman.

Yes, a lot of fans and fighters like Rashad Evans and Chris Weidman.

I think rashad evans and chris weidman deserve the black belt because chris weidman actually trains with one of the gracies and practices bjj

Flawless logic.

i don't know about rashad evans i don't know that much about his brazilian jiu jitsu but i do know that chris weidman and rashad evans are both elite wrestlers

So?

why do the gracies disagree?

Disagree with what? That Rashad and Weidman are elite wrestlers?

And does anyone else disagree with this?

See above.

I read an article about one of the gracies believing that some of the people in the ufc like rashad evans and chris weidman. I think rashad evans and chris weidman deserve the black belt because chris weidman actually trains with one of the gracies and practices bjj but i don't know about rashad evans i don't know that much about his brazilian jiu jitsu but i do know that chris weidman and rashad evans are both elite wrestlers, why do the gracies disagree? And does anyone else disagree with this?

I haven't heard anything they said about Chris but I know Rashad got shit because I believe it was Rolles who give him a black belt for no gi bjj and Royler said you can't be a gracie black belt unless you train in the gi

Cause not all black belts are created equally, which i agree and the Gracies hate having others give high level belts out without the Gracie name involved.

What a weird thread lol

For the same reason they call it Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

The problem with BJj is that belt progression is discretionary and up to each individual instructor. Some have higher standards than others.

Each instructor has different ways of promoting their students and the Gracie's follow a different system.
I personally don't agree with when fighters get promotions in the Gi when they do not train in the Gi.

Well the Gracie's feel their jj is the best in the world, superior to all others. Unfortunately, being untrained in any jj, I can neither confirm or deny. But no doubt they are certainly convinced....

Wrestling isn't BJJ. Weidman's BJJ is really good, i don't know if he's black belt...but there are other black belts the Gracie can take issue with instead of The Chris. Chris has atleast competed with some of the best in the world in submission grappling.

Like Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez to name a couple....but MMA is littered with supposed black belts who would probably get worked over in a pure BJJ match with guys who actually worked for a purple and just weren't given a black belt by the BJJ instructor who is affiliated with whatever MMA team.

Like who?

The gracies has basically become a cult that will bend the truth and pat themself and any celebrity that trains with them on their back while trying to pull everyone else down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back