Why do some sherdogers don't like prospects?

Unproven and overhyped relative to competition is the only time I wanna see someone lose. Like O'Malley and Shabazhan, the latter is clearly talented but it was too much too soon.

Gone are the days of "keep an eye on that one, in a year or 2 they'll be a problem" to "everyones ducking him he deserves a title shot". Like calling Wonderboy a ducker because he wants to fight Leon Edwards (ranked top 5) rather than Chimaev who is unranked.

I don't get it. Do you guys want all the same guys on the top fighting the same guys forever? I understand you might find annoying other sherdogers pumping this guys up on this foruns, but why do you care so much? Is it cool to be a negative person and wanting to see others lose, or is it the sensantion of telling "i told you so" after a prospect loses thats give you orgasms? Honestly i can't see how you can be a fan of this sport and at the same time be a hater of the newcomers.
It's because of the retarded trolls that post shit like GOATMIEV kinda makes me want to see him KOed just to shut them up..

I think they have some sort of trauma that some upcoming and unknown prospects in the past turned out to be for real, and had run through the division, beat their favorite fighters and the ones they rooted for years, and eventually surpassing them in terms of achievements and recognition. You gotta admit that is kinda sad to watch. In turn, they tend to dislike prospects and up-comers as they see them as a threat (in some way) to the fighters they root for.
That's actually a pretty good assessment

Most sherdoggers want to be the smartest guy in the room.

It’s easier to be right when predicting failure.

It’s also why the fans of prospects often turn in parodies.

Its the massive hype behind them what pisses people off.

I don't understand that.
When I see fans calling Khamzat the GOAT I smile (because obviously they're just having fun) and I'm glad that Khamzat, as a prospect, is getting attention and will get the chance to make money and all that. Also just makes it more interesting to watch him if he has lots of hype.

Even if it pisses you off that he has a lot of hype - it's a win-win for you because you'll have more lulz when he finally does lose and you can tell everyone HURRRR he was always a bum.
So I really don't get it.

It depends. I like who works, not only talks.

The major problem are some fans and payroll trying to hype an ant like a giant. When the fighters thinks and acts like their casual supporters, I automatically put a break and become more critic to them (including the fighter).

You can do some marketing, this is cool, but working > marketing. Show us what you are capable of before talking something. And talk with some responsibility, something funny, normal, not being a shitty person like Adesanya.

For instance, I admire Khamzat will to fight many times and against better opponents, high ranked ones, that's ok. But don't hype more than you really are, you didn't prove shit yet. You seem to be good, just keep working and talking accordingly. Particularly, I think his marketing is good, the problem is him and his casual fans - mainly the latter ones - putting the man where he doesn't belong. Payroll is no joke most of the times.

Last edited:
Depends on the fan. It ranges from complete contrarianism to genuinely wanting the sport to be built on substance. Wanting people on the top to have actually achieved getting on top. Not fighters getting accelerated just because people like them. In that fans eyes, an uproarious hype train of a following is actually a disservice to the fighter. Losing is practically an inevitability, and they want it to be a learning experience, not a derailment. They want the fans who never learn this lesson to crash off the train, hoping they'll eventually actually appreciate fighters and not shiny new toys.

Hype-backlash is real, especially in sports. It’s usually nothing the fighters are doing themselves, just the insane hype and sperging that goes on here

Its not hate bro...they just want the prospects to be tested by the already established top 10 fighters to see if the hypetrains are the real deal thats all.

We are all still waiting for this prospect to fulfill his potential and become a champion. We put our heart and soul into supporting him, but it hasn't panned out yet, so us Sherdoggers feel burned by prospects. Fortunately he's still young, so we just have to be patient

20140204113030_erick_silva.JPG
Lol was waiting for someone to throw this prospect up.

I am guessing your first language isn't english.

I think people in general like new prospects, I certainly do, but as soon as a new prospect beats a can people hype them to be the next champion. When they lose, people turn on that new prospect. I started a thread many years ago about a kid fighting in ROF...killing stomping everyone he faced and saying he would be a WW champ one day. He came to the UFC, won his first two by KO/TKO, then lost four in a row. Brandon Thatch has not fought in 4 years since.

We now have guys saying Hazmat would beat Izzy...I mean WTF. My biggest issue is guys hyping prospects then shitting on them when they lose. Before hyping a guy, if they beat a couple cans, lets see what they can do against better competition.

I think a lot of the "people hating prospects" you see is actually people hating unproven fighters' bandwagon fans. The prospect du jour is Chimaev, and he's certainly intriguing, but you have people proclaiming he's going to be a three weight champion when he hasn't even faced a legitimately good UFC fighter. That leads to people wanting to see those proclamations proven wrong, even if they don't necessarily have anything against Chimaev himself.
Serious. Its like there are these people who overhype new names, then abandon them as soon as they lose, and for some reason, think they're bigger fans of MMA than the people who told them it was gonna happen

Back