Why do some people insist on backing into parking spots?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Why do people do this? Unless you're robbing the place what is the point? Is it supposed to be safer when pulling out or something? Its annoying waiting for people to do this and they never seem to be very good at it.

It is safer to get out. It's harder to see cars coming and easier to pull out in front of a car when reversing out

Why do some people insist on backing into parking spots?
Because they are fucking idiots, and usually take up 2 spaces.
The same idiots that don't use blinkers when turning or stop when the light turns yellow.

it takes 10sec more and makes it easier/safer to get out of parking space

honestly I see no reason not to do it unless you are a really shitty driver

Safer to reverse in than reverse out. Better visibility.

I fail to see the problem... IF you take the normal time parking.

I've seen lifted trucks try to and that's annoying.

Gotta do it like this:

OrderlyTornEmu-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Because they are fucking idiots, and usually take up 2 spaces.
The same idiots that don't use blinkers when turning or stop when the light turns yellow.
Way to out yourself as a garbage driver.

Because they are fucking idiots, and usually take up 2 spaces

So....BMW owners then?

many oil and gas or mining companies have a policy that you must back into your parking spot for safety reasons i.e. easier to drive away in an emergency situation

I usually back into spaces because it's fun to see if you can do it or not. So many people avoid reversing into tight spots, they freak out because they're useless drivers. I used to operate forklift trucks for years in the past and i'm sure that's why i'm good at reversing into spots as there is a lot of reversing when operating a forklift.
Sometimes you have to back into a car spot between 2 cars as you cannot just drive forward into it.
Anyway, cars have a reverse gear, use it sometimes!

Because it's common sense to back into a spot and for the ones that don't do it good at least they try and kudos to them.

I always do it that way if possible. Can't give you a solid reason for it, it just feels natural to park that way. Some people find it difficult to do, others don't. As long as you have consideration and don't park like an asshole, do whatever suits you.

Sometimes if 2 parking spaces are open on the same column... you can just pull straight thru and people will think you backed in. Give it a try TS, I'm sure you'll appreciate it and when you get the courage and learn to drive, you too can back into parking spaces.

Backwards or forwards, you still have somewhat poor visibility pulling out from a space when you have gigantic vehicles beside you. Here in the US, we have trucks, vans, and suv's sitting 6-7ft high(or even taller) straight from the factory. Park between two of those and you'll see what I'm getting at.

I can back in better than I can go in, simply because I was taught to use my side mirrors and the two white lines as guide. I’m more accurate because I can see more and don’t have my view blocked by the bonnet. The only downside is that judging the distance behind you is a bit awkward.

Also, it’s safer when going out.

In the U.K, it’s one of the few moves that new drivers may be asked to be tested on, like reversing around a corner and parallel parking.

My girlfriend is opposite, as she can drive in better than I, but she is useless reversing in.

I always reverse park, its alot easier getting in and out with a large vehicle

Why do people do this? Unless you're robbing the place what is the point? Is it supposed to be safer when pulling out or something? Its annoying waiting for people to do this and they never seem to be very good at it.
How do you know they backed in? They could have pulled through.

Back