Why Do Some Fighters Gas Out?

I don't know much about professional combat athletes, but coming from my own experience it's mainly being nervous and not being able to relax and breathe properly, as well as not hydrating and eating enough after making weight >_<

my first two fights both myself AND my opponent were gassed by the end of the fight lol.. oh the joys of being an amateur :(

edit:

my very first fight my coach said he thought i held my breath the entire first round haha.

lol how the fuck is that awesome? :icon_conf

Oh, for the love of God, I know this terribly OT, but its awesome because Taft is the fattest president in US history. He's the one who was so fat he got stuck in his bathtub. He topped 340 at 5"11 during his presidency.
(see, my degree in history paid off, after all.)

Everyone's cardio threshold is not the same...

Most fighters would like the cardio of a marathoner, but everyone can't finish or run a marathon, but everyone should be able to push themselves to the best of their ability.

Awesome. I already jog and skip and do as many burpees as I can (which is not many), but no pad/bag work yet.

I would like to get my fight conditioning higher though as I'm looking to join a school in the next couple weeks.

Good idea, i've helped some friends and people get into better shape before joining gyms and i really think it increases how many stick with it. I see a lot of guys sign up and then by the time they are done stretching they are already out of breath and they only last a few weeks at best.

OK sometimes i wonder about these things as well but if all else fails apply logic meaning:
You are preparing for a fight which will most likely either be 3/5 minute rounds with one minute rest so:
HIIT>running>jogging>bodybuilding
Im just talking running here so bare with me
Running = longer/slow-moderate pace
Running = better because at least your heart rate is up for longer periods
HIIT = best because you simulate crazy intensity of a round and then recover period and then do it all over again

*BB can be effecitive if you put together useful exercises for set times and then set rest periods. IE: 3minute drills 1 minute rest.

*OK i generalized a lot about the running but i think for the most part it holds true.
HIIT is by far the best for fight conditioning but running is second and a jog is better than nothing.
*I almost always even if doing HIIT drills all week add on a longer jog once or twice a week because that will keep your overall endurance up.

The more i get into combat training the more I realize that.....WHEN you find a drill that really sucks and you want to take a four point position dry heaving in the grass/gym floor/mat that is the exercise you should be doing more of.

Back