Why Do Some Fans Of The Wire Like Stringer Bell? He Was A Coward SPOILERS

Exactly. Avon was just a goon that survived through the ranks. This clip shows that he wasn't even that hard, just some skinny ass kid.

People like to claim that String wasn't a good character because he got beat at his own game... that's exactly what happened to Avon. Marlow whooped his ass in the streets. He was a step ahead of him the whole way. Could have snatched his life on that lawn.

Avon fucked up and put himself in a position to die 3 different times on the show (shotgun in the SUV, on the lawn and at the payphone), and he served two bids. That's not a successful boss.

A boss stays behind the scenes and makes moves, not a old dude trying to run out there with the goons.

Exactly. Avon was just a goon that survived through the ranks. This clip shows that he wasn't even that hard, just some skinny ass kid.

People like to claim that String wasn't a good character because he got beat at his own game... that's exactly what happened to Avon. Marlow whooped his ass in the streets. He was a step ahead of him the whole way. Could have snatched his life on that lawn.

Avon fucked up and put himself in a position to die 3 different times on the show (shotgun in the SUV, on the lawn and at the payphone), and he served two bids. That's not a successful boss.

A boss stays behind the scenes and makes moves, not a old dude trying to run out there with the goons.

Barksdale people were waiting for the go to take out marlo, but the cops busted their spot because bell snitched em out, pay attention

Barksdale people were waiting for the go to take out marlo, but the cops busted their spot because bell snitched em out, pay attention

Why does it mitigate Avon's failure in your mind to have had Bell snitch oin him? Don't you think a good boss doesn't have his right hand man snitch on him?

Why does it mitigate Avon's failure in your mind to have had Bell snitch oin him? Don't you think a good boss doesn't have his right hand man snitch on him?

They grew up together. I doubt Barksdale expected Stringer to ruin his entire business and try to have him locked up.

You're talking about AFTER all of the previous failed avon attempts and his ruining of the co-op, right?

Son, don't make me take you to school on this shit. Just go sit at the kids table while grown folks are talking.

Thats fine, but I'm not really getting what the problem is with what I've said. People are trying to act as though I'm incorrect somehow.

Feels like people like the character and got mad that someone pointed out his flaws to me.

As someone who loved the show and its theme of pretty much all the characters being flawed my big issue with how you present it is that you are too one dimensional.

I will try to present your view with an example and I will be optimistic that you will get it.

If you are on a plane during 911 that is going to crash and kill you, and you and others decide to try and fight and take back the plane and in the midst of it crash and die, your view is equivalent of pointing out 'they crashed and died due to your actions' while ignoring that, yes, while it did not work it was basically the only chance of survival.

Yes, Stringer failed but his path was the only one that had a chance at long term success and escaping the trap they were already in.

As someone who loved the show and its theme of pretty much all the characters being flawed my big issue with how you present it is that you are too one dimensional.

I will try to present your view with an example and I will be optimistic that you will get it.

If you are on a plane during 911 that is going to crash and kill you, and you and others decide to try and fight and take back the plane and in the midst of it crash and die, your view is equivalent of pointing out 'they crashed and died due to your actions' while ignoring that, yes, while it did not work it was basically the only chance of survival.

Yes, Stringer failed but his path was the only one that had a chance at long term success and escaping the trap they were already in.
I don't even know how to respond to this nonsense.

Look, as I asked someone else, go back and look at my breakdown of stringer and tell me where I have it wrong. This 9/11 nonsense is a stupid analogy.

Some of you guys act like he was some friend of yours or something.

He made stupid decisions that fucked over everyone around him. Literally everyone associated with the Barksdale crew got screwed because of stringer, from the kids selling on the corner to Avon himself.

The only person to benefit was Marlo.

26.jpg

Stringer was from the Austrian school.

I don't even know how to respond to this nonsense.

Look, as I asked someone else, go back and look at my breakdown of stringer and tell me where I have it wrong. This 9/11 nonsense is a stupid analogy.

Some of you guys act like he was some friend of yours or something.

He made stupid decisions that fucked over everyone around him. Literally everyone associated with the Barksdale crew got screwed because of stringer, from the kids selling on the corner to Avon himself.

The only person to benefit was Marlo.

And it is clear you did not get my post as you keep simply repeating Stringers failure.

I repeat...

I don't think many people liked him. I sure as shit didn't since he was a snake, he was asmart dude though, no one can deny that.

I don't think many people liked him. I sure as shit didn't since he was a snake, he was asmart dude though, no one can deny that.

I agree, but i think he thought he was a lot smarter than he actually was.

And it is clear you did not get my post as you keep simply repeating Stringers failure.

I repeat...

Get off your high horse. The show was not that deep and neither are you.

Stringer was in it for himself and screwed everyone who got him to the point he was at.

My whole point has been that he's a fuck up. I never said anything about any imaginary philosophy that people made up in regards to his character. I never said ANYTHING about why he did what he did. Other people made that argument after being personally offended that someone criticized a TV character.

If Stringer were a real character, I wonder if the fact he luckily avoided prison in Season 1 would have caused enough rift to be his undoing. Wouldn't a cloud of a suspicion hang over Stringer's head by Avon and the street? The disclosure from the wiretap would have answered some questions, but it's very easy to hide Stringer being an informant. Even in Season 3, McNulty wasn't supposed to actually use Stringer's name for the warrant which brought down Avon.

I think people are overlooking the luck Stringer had to have avoided prison. I thought he was a complete pussy in his actions following to avoid it as well, trying to go legit, having D whacked, appeasing Marlo, etc.

I don't quite get the opening post. Like nearly all the gangsters, I didn't find him sympthetic, but that's not what I look for in a television character. He was a cool character played by an awesome actor, and he was a fairly good way to illustrate several themes in the series. What's not to like?

Definitely among my favorites.

Some people just appreciate a really good character. He played an scheming bastard exceptionally well.

Stringer was my homey. Trying to move in the white mans world and do big things, big dreams. Shit happens, he tried to get them out of a surefire trap that was gonna bring everybody down and he brought himself down in the process.

he was still a smart mofo.

Get off your high horse. The show was not that deep and neither are you.

Stringer was in it for himself and screwed everyone who got him to the point he was at.

My whole point has been that he's a fuck up. I never said anything about any imaginary philosophy that people made up in regards to his character. I never said ANYTHING about why he did what he did. Other people made that argument after being personally offended that someone criticized a TV character.

lol there is no high horse.

Just a pointing out of the complete and utter failure in your argument and the lack of logic therein. the Wire is not a typical shallow show so I am not surprised you missed and did not comprehend much of it.

Once again you complete fail to comprehend the point I and others are making to you.

I will repeat it again...

So you continually pointing to how he failed in what he tried to do and how that cost others money is a point without context and the context matters despite your attempts to ignore and narrow the discussion down.

The context was that the ship was sinking regardless and the model they employed doomed to jail, death and failure. Stringer through out a life line and it was a gamble and it failed and they failed, yes, and those who assess things without context will say 'your plan failed therefore you are at fault'. Others smarter than that will see it is not that black and white.

It was inevitable what happened to String. You play with fire you are going to get burned. The drug biz isn't exactly the safest business to be in. Sure he was trying to get legit, but he chose the wrong out and he stayed in for too long. He died a typical death of a drug dealer who back stabs when it's convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back