Why do some coaches yell instructions to their grapplers/fighters the entire time?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember I was watching some grappling at a judo tourney once. One of the grapplers had a coach shouting the entire time "lift his leg..." "Shrimp out!" "Get out of half-guard!"

The coach literally didn't stop talking the entire time. Our sensei looked over annoyed and said to me "what's the point of letting them fight if he's gonna play by play every move?"

This is true, I even see it during professional matches. They'll be 5 guy in the corner screaming different things. A few comments here and there help when you're losing, but the entire time?

Between all of the noise, exhaustion, getting punched, choked, etc. I can't imagine anyone can focus on what's being said to them, let alone by a multiple voices.

The job of a coach during a match is not to provide technical advice. The job is to provide strategic advice, and to motivate your fighter. Sometimes, being screamed at to do the obvious thing, can be good coaching.

How can I stop teammates and coaches from shouting advice I could not give less of a shit about and start telling me the time and points?

Danaher does it and it seems to work for his guys.

All depends on the guy. Some guys need more coaching than others. But going to lots of local fights I have heard some pretty stupid advise from corners. I guess it all comes down to knowing your guy.

One of my first BJJ tournaments, I didn't even realize I was losing by advantage points because the ref was giving them away like candy to my opponent and I could not see the board. Rather than attempt a sweep from my guard to get on top, my coach wanted me to attack a collar choke first to at least even up the advantages before sweeping. I didn't listen, ran out of time, and lost a match by advantage only that I just as easily could or should have won. Your coach should know your abilities, your weaknesses and strengths, and you should trust them. Now, trying to follow directions from all your buddies shouting what to do.... that's a different story. For me at last, after that tournament, I tried not to have such tunnel vision during a match.

Guys, I'm not saying to not give instruction. Obviously it's helpful.

I mean some corners are trying to dictate the entire fight/match. How much of what is said can one absorb during the heat of the match?

I remember in one of my first tournaments, at white belt, I was subtly trying to set up mount and trying to be all sneaky about it and my coach yelled “MOUNT MOUNT” and the guy put his fucking leg up hahaha but I like the instructions being yelled out

You think this is weird?

I spent ten years competitively swimming with a coach yelling at us during races.

Cornering is one of those weird skills like holding mits that not everyone has or even realizes is a thing.

It should be practiced.

I love my coach for it, he will only say something if you're in deep shit.

I hate it when they say obvious stuff or even when they say out loud to go for the trap you are going for...

You think this is weird?

I spent ten years competitively swimming with a coach yelling at us during races.

Must have been debilitationg with your ears in and out of water, the arms hitting water sound and the echo that you always have in big pools

I love my coach for it, he will only say something if you're

Must have been debilitationg with your ears in and out of water, the arms hitting water sound and the echo that you always have in big pools

It was the dumbest thing ever in retrospect.

It's a same. Gotta know your athlete. Some like you treating them like a Playstation. Others just want to know the score and time and very important set ups the opponent might be setting up on.

On a side note, the worst regular piece of advice I hear yelled out is "Go that way"

Back