Why do so many people dislike Cody Garbrandt?

And plus he's beating no one of relevance to be that cocky

Seems like a massive douche, to be fair. But I do enjoy watching him fight.

The way he squared up to McGregor is one of his redeeming moments if anything. He does have that douche vibe going on though, no doubt about it.

Not him saying he's gonna win - everyone does that.

More like him proclaiming himself fighter of the year.

He said he'd be fighter of the year if he dismantled Cruz, and he sure as fuck would be in the running. That'd be 4 victories in 1 year (potentially 4 (T)KOs) including a win over Cruz. That's pretty reasonable to me.

If you don't see him as being arrogant, you're not actually watching him.

Talking trash is fine. It's part of the game (especially now). He's just got a personality that's off-putting to other people. If you like him, cool. Others don't. To each their own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect people to suck his dick or anything, it just seems like it's WAY over the top. Most of the stuff I read about him is negative.

Not him saying he's gonna win - everyone does that.

More like him proclaiming himself fighter of the year.

He said that if he was to win the belt against Cruz. He would have a serious case for that title then imo.

He's a lot of fun to watch, I can't imagine people aren't interested in his career. Seems very well rounded considering his overall athleticism and wrestling capability, perfectly happy exchanging bombs. Exciting and capable.

The dude is 25, covered in tattoos and knocking people dead, he's going to attract some haters.

Even if Dom wins, its pretty clear Cody is going to be a top 5 fighter, it not champion, in the coming years.

Cause weirdo MMA fans care more about looks and personalities than fighting ability.

Mma fans are weirdos, constantly putting fighters through a microscope nitpicking for stuff to dislike.

For being a fan of a sport where two individuals are trying to beat the hell out of each other in a cage, you wouldn't expect the fans to be such divas.

I don't hate him. He's a skilled and exciting fighter.
But he's a douche, he's dumb, and it hurts to hear him speak. I have no problem with cockiness and trash talking, as I am a fan of Conor, but Cody just sounds like a REALLY dumb dudebro.
I'll always watch him fight, just like ill watch a Perry fight, but ill also always be rooting against them

he looks ridiculous trying to wear nice suits with his generic beard, haircut and tattoos. how does the old saying go? U cannot polish a turd :D

Good fighter though .

I want to be his fan. ...an exciting fighter? We all want that. Cocky douche factor over rides all for many of us.

He said that if he was to win the belt against Cruz. He would have a serious case for that title then imo.
He said he'd be fighter of the year if he dismantled Cruz, and he sure as fuck would be in the running. That'd be 4 victories in 1 year (potentially 4 (T)KOs) including a win over Cruz. That's pretty reasonable to me.

My point is, its not about whether he deserves it or not. When people start talking about them deserving this and that, it's off-putting and vain

Appearance, mixed with the fact he's facing a really likeable guy.

Cody got the shitty neck tattoo knowing full well in the US culture its usually associated with dirtbags and criminals. Same way someone with a confederate flag on their truck is a redneck asshole dispite his claims of "pride not prejudice "

I genuinely don't understand why this guy has so much vitriol directed at him on here

"He has a neck tattoo" might be funny but it's not an actual valid reason. As far as I know all he did was push McGregor once on TUF, and has been tamely trash talking Cruz (who gives as good as he gets) in the lead-up to a fight so who really gives a fuck?

I don't think I'm missing anything major either, yet in every thread people criminally underrate his skill-set or just insult him in general

pls explain
In an honest response, I think people are put off by manlets who act hardcore. Sherdog usually aint got no time for that.
giphy.gif

Mma fans are weirdos, constantly putting fighters through a microscope nitpicking for stuff to dislike.

For being a fan of a sport where two individuals are trying to beat the hell out of each other in a cage, you wouldn't expect the fans to be such divas.

There is a personality/marketing facet to this sport with fighters - if you don't want to believe that, you're kidding yourself.

Is that California "Bro" attitude that i hate. There's many "Garbrandts" in the world.

He's talented ? hell yeah he is, i wouldn't bet against him just because i dislike him, i recognize how good he is. My problem starts when they give this guy a microphone and a camera.

Garbrandt is like one of those emo kids revolted at life for no reason that throws tantrums around whenever things don't go his way and his confidence is annoying, he doesn't separate being confident from being a borderline corny asshole.

Also, neck tats.

You can extend this argument to anyone. Some people are innately more charismatic than others.
Think of school, some kids were liked more than others. For what reason?
There are people who try to use techniques to be more likable, but they come off as fake.
This is the way of the world.

Back