Why do so many high-level MMA fighters come from Hawaii?

There is a massive difference between drunk, agressive losers in UK or Russia. In fact UK has no fighting culture and people stab each other left and right and stomp on each other's heads whenever given the opportunity.

That sure is an interesting impression!

I mean, I live here and I haven't seen anyone stab someone or stomp on someone's head, but you'll see it in the news I guess.

Cooper, Cabbage, Tavares, Smolka, Kimo, Browne, Noons, Grove.

These are relatively successful MMA fighters from different eras.

Falaniko Vitale was an all-around solid fighter, a legit gatekeeper from the '00s

Ha gave tough fights to Lawler, Okami, Triggs or Lombard and beat Menne and Lindland (even if by freak KO), which ranked him top10 at MW at some point.

One of the poorest states in the USA. Poverty = desperate young men with few options to succeed.
As per Max, Hawaii did have many issues yeah

HAWAII’S ILLEGAL DRUG EPIDEMIC
Drug abuse and addiction is a large factor contributing to crime in the islands. Crimes involving illegal drugs comprised over half of the critical events in the state in 2007.

The national average for the USA is 41.2%.

Methamphetamine (crystal meth, ice) is the most commonly used illegal drug in Hawaii – besides marijuana. Of all the criminal convictions that were related to drug abuse – ice made up over half of all cases. In fact, in 2013, 90% of federally sentenced drug cases in Hawaii involved the use of meth.

Social workers expect the range of problems caused by crystal meth to eventually reach everyone in the islands. Not that everyone will be addicted, but, the effects of those using it – break ins, car accidents, friends or family using it – will touch each of us on the islands at some point.

There is no doubt it’s use is rampant. I remember in 2002 I was met at the airport by a woman I knew online, and had befriended. She was taking me to my hotel when she pulled out some white rocks and proceeded to light them up in a pipe she had.

I was aghast to say the least. I’d never been around anyone that smoked the stuff – nor did I want to start! That was the end of that brief friendship!

Apparently it is used so commonly that many locals think it’s just like smoking pot and they are open about it.

Though there are no hard numbers to point to regarding crystal meth use or addiction in Hawaii, something can be said about the extent of the problem by looking at the number of addicts that attended addiction treatment for its use. 2,730 people entered treatment facilities for the drug in 2002. That is higher than for all those that attended alcohol and marijuana treatment programs the same year.

HOMELESSNESS – A MAJOR SOCIAL PROBLEM IN HAWAII
Like everywhere in the U.S. there are homeless people living in Hawaii. Some are happy to be homeless, and some are not – but, they are here and increasing in numbers. In 2019, there were an estimated 9.4% of the state’s population living below poverty level. With regards to the number of people living on the street, there are an estimated 4,400 homeless individuals on O’ahu as of January 2020.

Homeless folks live at the beach, on the west side of Oahu near Kaena Point, in the parks, on the streets, under highways, and even underneath Hawaiian Schools portable facilities.

Some have cars, and you might see a whole family loving in one. Small tent cities pop up from one place to another, and various plans for a large tent city have been introduced over the years – but are usually shot down by neighboring communities afraid crime will increase in their neighborhood.

Across the state there are about 15,000 people that are homeless at some point during the year. On any given day there are about 7,000 homeless folks.

The number of homeless people in Hawaii has increased by more than 60 percent since 2000. However, we have seen decreases between the years from 2016-2018. U.S Census data shows that Hawaii’s increase in poverty is among the highest in the USA.

Even though Hawaii has a warm climate year-round and there could be worse places to be homeless, robbery, assault, rape, and other crimes still exist and are a threat to homeless people.

Why are there so many homeless people living in Hawaii?
1. The Welfare Reform Act, 1994. This act limits the number of years families on federal welfare can collect benefits to just 5 years. In many cases, it is literally impossible for the family to do anything else to come up with money in Hawaii’s limited economy.

2. High cost of living. Housing costs are the highest in the U.S. here in Hawaii, and there are precious few low-income homes for those that can’t afford the nearly $1 million three bedroom, two bath home.

3. Drug addiction and underfunded mental health programs.

from: https://www.livinginhawaii.com/hawaii/what-are-the-social-problems-in-hawaii/

Cooper, Cabbage, Tavares, Smolka, Kimo, Browne, Noons, Grove.

These are relatively successful MMA fighters from different eras.
Yes but these are not high level

If we are going by this list,many countries could boast the same. It doesnt make them stick out,yknow?

Lots of scrappers though.

Trust me. No Americans are ignorant to street violence. You'll get slammed on concrete and your head repeatedly stomped on just bc you passd by the wrong way

<45>

Back