Why do so many high-level MMA fighters come from Hawaii?

he's not white thats how lol

That helps but mostly it's because 1) He's actually funny, and 2) he's obviously spent time around Hawaiians and knows the deal. He's also riffed on Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. and same deal. It's not the same old trope of "all asians look the same and they all talk like Long Duk Dong."

Don’t mess with this islanders man , tough group of people

I got to live in Hawaii for a bit.

It is a fighting culture. Judo was an actual high school sport. It followed wrestling season. They fight for fun. Wrestle, box, Judo, etc.

BJ Penn learned to fight before the UFC, he was good at it. In Hawaii, fighting isn't a big deal. Scrap it out bro and be friends later on.

Native Hawaiians have that warrior spirit. They are good people and it is an enjoyable culture. They don't go around attacking people for no reason, but love to scrap, and if you like to also you can have some fun.
Agree I lived there for awhile and everything you say is spot on. And you are right about scrap now, friends after scrap. Saw that a few times.
Hawaii is poor? I always thought the opposite, more or less.
Ah a lot of parts of Hawaii would be considered poor for cost of living vs annual salary. That’s because the cost of living in Hawaii is so much higher than the majority of the u.s. lots of homeless because of this. A lot of people build on to their homes and have multiple families living in one big house (they call them ohana’s). Usuallly it’s aunties and uncles of the same family building on rooms to the same house to live together. This makes it more affordable. Not sure if you have seen the cost to buy a regular house in Hawaii, but it is much more expensive than your average house on the mainland.

What you're describing is an example of cause and effect. But that very same cause and effect has played out over centuries of combat sports. And will continue to do so. The place where "the best fighters in the world" come from will constantly change in geography, and again, always has. Making it.....*drumroll*, happenstance.
You don’t understand, in Chechnya you don’t breed if you’re not good at sports

Are there any native Hawaiians left? Even guys like BJ isn't really Hawaiian. I remember watching some surfing documentary where the locals go around beating white guys but they all had Americanized last names.

You don’t understand, in Chechnya you don’t breed if you’re not good at sports
I understand better than you know. You think you're teaching me something, you're not. You're thinking micro, me macro. There's levels to this here holmes. Sorry you misunderstood.

That helps but mostly it's because 1) He's actually funny, and 2) he's obviously spent time around Hawaiians and knows the deal. He's also riffed on Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. and same deal. It's not the same old trope of "all asians look the same and they all talk like Long Duk Dong."

Him not being a straight up white dude helps the most..that's how he gets his pass.

Secret training methods

bj-penn-underwater-training.jpg
Like this video here, where he is using a drunk and obese bar patron’s fist and asphalt pavement to condition the hardness of his skull!

Last edited:
Him not being a straight up white dude helps the most..that's how he gets his pass.

As I said, I do think that helps. But IMO his material would still be hilarious if a comedian of any other race could nail his delivery. He's able to pull it off because he's better informed being (half) asian and obviously having spent time around other asians.

And his tone is positive. He's not demeaning the culture he's bagging on, just stating his observations and embracing them.

Last edited:
google it, its no different in the uk and ireland than Hawaii, New Zealand, Samoa etc.

Yeah there are punch ups in Ireland at 2am on a Sunday morning outside the chipper.

Not sure about it being part of the Celtic fighting spirit. It's predominantly young scumbags who can't handle their booze without getting aggressive.

Those involved tend not to be friends afterwards either (or before)

Reactions: OGL
like many tourist places the hotels and resorts look great while the rest of the place is a shit hole, my home Niagara Falls being no exception
The only part you got right is Niagara Falls (NY side) is a shithole. It’s obvious that you’ve never been to Hawaii. Hawaii is a fucking paradise even off the beaten path,

Brawling is retarded though. All those "cultures" are usually third world and not among top tier nations.
All you see with these dudes are cokeheads & drunks ending up knocked out in the middle of the street or in the gutter outside a bar or something.
Russia comes to mind, Australia, parts of USA, the underclass of Britain, etc.

The way to encourage male & female athletics is through proper martial arts and dojo, like Karate, Judo, Boxing gyms, etc.
Not fighting outside bars for stupid reasons.
There is a massive difference between drunk, agressive losers in UK or Russia. In fact UK has no fighting culture and people stab each other left and right and stomp on each other's heads whenever given the opportunity.

The only part you got right is Niagara Falls (NY side) is a shithole. It’s obvious that you’ve never been to Hawaii. Hawaii is a fucking paradise even off the beaten path,
Canadian side is a shithole as well lol

Hawaiians are fighters. Their lineage is from warriors I suppose? If you have ever surfed with them at their spots (if they let you), you better be real cool and not drop in or violate etiquette in the water, even if they don't follow it. It will be a fight. Surfers fight often, it's part of the sport, but the Hawaiians fight even more so.

Sounds like a typical weekend in the UK and Ireland.

If its shocking to anyone, you are probably American.
Trust me. No Americans are ignorant to street violence. You'll get slammed on concrete and your head repeatedly stomped on just bc you passd by the wrong way

Back