Why do so many fighters spar without upper body clothing in the sparring class?

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand it. They train normally in grappling classes, with t-shirts on or gi on. But when it comes to the sparring class where we spar punches, kicks, takedowns etc. with boxing gloves on, they take off their t-shirts and spar half-naked. Why is this? It's not like they can grip with the boxing gloves on, so what is the point of it? I didnt want to ask them so ill ask here.

Maybe they are trying to show off? Seriously, are they egocentric guys that like to show off their bodybuilding physiques?

No not really in fact theres one chubby guy and one lanky guy who both spar without any upper body clothing.

TommyHearns said:
No not really in fact theres one chubby guy and one lanky guy who both spar without any upper body clothing.

Maybe for the same reason most people compete in No-gi without a rashguard... they just want to?

TheVandalz said:
Maybe for the same reason most people compete in No-gi without a rashguard... they just want to?
Yes i know they just want to, but why do they "just want to" thats the whole point of this thread.

TommyHearns said:
Yes i know they just want to, but why do they "just want to" thats the whole point of this thread.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick.

What I mean is maybe they dont have a reason. Maybe its just more comfortable to them. I wear a rashguard in competition for nothing other than the fact that I dont want to be dripping in someone elses sweat, especially if the dude im rollin with is hairy!

Maybe they dont care about that stuff. So it doesn't matter if they are topless.

more freedom in punches, you don't get hot as with clothes on

It's probably just because most people picture in their head a striker as being topless. Think about it...boxing, muay thai, Bruce Lee in his movies. Maybe everybody just thinks it would LOOK weird to spar in a shirt or rash guard.

Well for moblity and see get the feeling of ghow youd roll in competion...Thats what i usally do...and no im not showing off either its just the way some people train

IMP said:
more freedom in punches, you don't get hot as with clothes on
exactly, plus grappling with a rash guard protects you from ring worms and mat burns, so i wouldn't train without it.

If I did it, it'd be because I wouldn't get as hot so I could spar longer with less fatigue.

Also: When they get sweaty, the punches slide off like they were wearing vaseline

I spar in my bjj class withou upper body clothing to showcase my family size stomach.

TommyHearns said:
I dont understand it. They train normally in grappling classes, with t-shirts on or gi on. But when it comes to the sparring class where we spar punches, kicks, takedowns etc. with boxing gloves on, they take off their t-shirts and spar half-naked. Why is this? It's not like they can grip with the boxing gloves on, so what is the point of it? I didnt want to ask them so ill ask here.

Would u ask this question if it is female grapplers sparring without upper bodyclothings.

Hrm well when you compete people dotn wear shirts for standup and do for grappling. Practice i guess is just trying to simulate competition as close as possible.

2om30 said:
exactly, plus grappling with a rash guard protects you from ring worms and mat burns, so i wouldn't train without it.
it helps a lot with gi burns for me. as for the sweat thing, i think both yours and their sweat passes through it but it's helping more than hurting in any case.

I grapple with no shirt because i want to do it like in competition. In most mma fights people don't wear a shirt and the sweat don't let you hold you oponent very well. I want to be prepared for that.

loui_ludwig said:
Would u ask this question if it is female grapplers sparring upper bodyclothing.
Obviously not, whats your point?
http://www.ultimatesurrender.com/

Hrm well when you compete people dotn wear shirts for standup and do for grappling. Practice i guess is just trying to simulate competition as close as possible.
Yeah but ive never seen pro boxers spar topless.

TommyHearns said:

Whats the big deal?

You seem to care a lot for a guy with a gay test in his signature.

I don't know. I notice that if I spar in something like Under Armour I actually stay cooler. At least, it seems that way to me.

Back