Why do Rogan think that every sub attemt is a wrap?

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Is he not a high level grappler himself?

He just gets more excited when fighters are grappling and attempting subs because he knows he has the most to offer as a commentator in those scenarios.In his defense, guys are typically in real trouble when he says so. I wish he would stop with the 'he's done, this is over' stuff though.

He knows what he's talking about, he just gets over excited.

Classic Rogan.

"That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a wrap............ Oh no he's out."

"OH HES'S HURT!!!!.... he is HURT, Mike. He is on wobbly legs. He may still be hurt, Mike..... he looks like he's recovered."

There have been times he has been wrong but a lot of times it's just hard to see a choke. It might look in really deep from one angle but clearly not threatening from a different angle. There have also been times he said a choke was not threatening and then the fighter tapped because it actually was in deeper than it appeared (Sage recently comes to mind)

Is he not a high...

IUdm2Am.png

He doesn't.
I suppose you mean he often calls a great looking set up a wrap.
It's selection bias; you just remember it more when he turns out to be wrong.

I would enjoy seeing a ratio between the times he calls it and the times the fighter escapes the sub.
I'll bet Joe's probably right most of the time.

Well maybe because it's his job to add excitement to the fight with his commentary...

Well maybe because it's his job to add excitement to the fight with his commentary...

I guess but it's kind of like an NFL commentator yelling "TOUCHDOWN!!! Oh no he missed it" every time a pass is thrown into the end zone.

He doesn't.
I suppose you mean he often calls a great looking set up a wrap.
It's selection bias; you just remember it more when he turns out to be wrong.

I would enjoy seeing a ratio between the times he calls it and the times the fighter escapes the sub.
I'll bet Joe's probably right most of the time.

Yea, Rogan is a blackbelt in BJJ. People shit on Rogan constantly but he has devoted his life to combat sports and probably knows more about it than anyone except the high end guys like Greg Jackson and other trainers in the business.

This - and it's tough to see how tight some sub is. Sometimes a good looking sub won't finish the fight, sometimes a half assed sub gets the tap without too much effort. It's a live fight and he's just pointing out what he sees or how he feels the shit will go down. I bet people criticizing Rogan call every move just about right while it's happening in front of them.

You hear him all the time say "He doesn't have it, he needs to...." or "it's on the chin, he doesn't have it" ... god damn people here just like to bitch and complain.

He scream like crazy every time somebody tries for a sub.

Yeah, he gets a bit too eager/excited for sub attempts. I mean, it's nowhere close to his orgasmic love for leg kicks, but he does appreciate sub attempts quite a bit.

Back