Why Do Politicians Get Paid

Money bring in too much corruption and since it is a Civil Servents job, why can they live in housing like the Military do on base. Free room and board and you work for the people for life. It's seem like a better way to run a government instead of them making money from outside influence. Time for change. Write your state senator and demand that they introduce a bill that supports this idea.
Politicians have the ability set laws, regulations, etc.

Think about every regular person you know. How many of those people, who also have some kind of ability to lead, would actively and consistently act against their own self interest?

Politicians get paid because if they're not, only the people who are fucking rich and can afford it do it, to leverage the power for their families interests.

Poor politicians are more victim to the influence of money.

The whole politicians being paid too much is a propaganda movement supporting corruption, it's fucking disgusting and if you support it you are a useful idiot.

Politicians are not paid ridiculously high for what they do. They do get paid well though. Also believe it or not that some active duty military also make a pretty good income, mainly officers that are O-4 and above. Housing allowance is untaxed, most that have been in long enough to claim residency at a state with no income tax can keep it that way for the rest of their career. Even spouse can evade state income taxes as well. Tons of leave time, free healthcare and great benefits, especially their pension. I would bet a O-6 in certain career fields makes equivalent to someone like Pelosi. Top that off with being able to retire after 20 years of service and high probability of getting some amount of disability at retirement, they are pretty much set. My old boss retired as a O-5 with 25 years in. Didn't deploy once and was able to station at the same base for 8 years straight at the end. She got 100% disability too, which is untaxed. Easily brings in $10k/month from her pension/disability combined and she retired shy of being 50.

In my opinion politicians should have limited term, especially at high key positions just like the president.

Limit terms
Pay 50 to 75k max
Eliminate dynasties
Force them to reveal all incoming avenues of money monthly or they are immediately stripped of position. All decisions they made between said date and stripping are null and void.

All politicians should be required to post quality memes and trolling. shitty memes will result in immediate execution.

Term limits is all that is needed. 125k per year with pension benefits like volunteer fireman, no other income allowed until after service. The job should be a stepping stone to the private sector. Do well, get a great job. No way Biden should be a career politician. I do believe terms should be longer for Supreme Court Judges, but never lifetime.i also believe civil jobs should all be capped regardless of overtime. Cops making 200k plus per year, Sanitation making 100k plus, MTAa making 150k plus, all due to taking advantage of overtime is theft. I have buddies in all 3 fields and they all do it.

they get paid cause you vote them into office to make law. then they made a law saying they get paid, then they made a law saying what they get paid, now they vote at least every other year, usually yearly to give themselves a raise.

Money bring in too much corruption and since it is a Civil Servents job, why can they live in housing like the Military do on base. Free room and board and you work for the people for life. It's seem like a better way to run a government instead of them making money from outside influence. Time for change. Write your state senator and demand that they introduce a bill that supports this idea.
They need to make like $50,000-$80,000 if that so there isn’t corruption and have term limits.

Limit terms
Pay 50 to 75k max
Eliminate dynasties
Force them to reveal all incoming avenues of money monthly or they are immediately stripped of position. All decisions they made between said date and stripping are null and void.
And take drug tests!

I'd go the other way: I'd increase the salaries and pensions, but add restrictions on other forms of pay--no speaking fees, no book royalties, no paid news contributor jobs, etc.

They need to make like $50,000-$80,000 if that so there isn’t corruption and have term limits.

How does paying them less make them less likely to take bribes? Seems like it would have the opposite effect.

I"d pay senators and congressmen a million a year, and give them a 500k a year pension for life... under the stipulation that they forego all other sources of income for the rest of their lives. Presidents get 5 times that.

A few billion dollars a year would be a small price to pay for an honest federal government.

Same reason prostitutes get paid....

The better question is how do these politicians get all this money? It’s not in their income revenue. Look at who funds a politician and you’ll find some serious bias/corruption.

They need to be banned from going into lobbying after their terms

How does paying them less make them less likely to take bribes? Seems like it would have the opposite effect.

I"d pay senators and congressmen a million a year, and give them a 500k a year pension for life... under the stipulation that they forego all other sources of income for the rest of their lives. Presidents get 5 times that.

A few billion dollars a year would be a small price to pay for an honest federal government.
I hear ya. Some other posters added to what I said, but the point is to not let politicians think they’re going to get rich in the position.

Back