Why Do Politicians Get Paid

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Money bring in too much corruption and since it is a Civil Servents job, why can they live in housing like the Military do on base. Free room and board and you work for the people for life. It's seem like a better way to run a government instead of them making money from outside influence. Time for change. Write your state senator and demand that they introduce a bill that supports this idea.

Money bring in too much corruption and since it is a Civil Servents job, why can they live in housing like the Military do on base. Free room and board and you work for the people for life. It's seem like a better way to run a government instead of them making money from outside influence. Time for change. Write your state senator and demand that they introduce a bill that supports this idea.

I think you're a bit late to the party to make drastic changes like that, 500-600 years to be accurate, but I support you. In fact, iirc in ancient Greece public office was pro bono work. But anyways, there should be a nominal salary and, while in office and for the next 20 years, your finances should be monitored heavily to make sure you weren't on the take from someone on the outside (the industry). Public service should be uninterested.

Get rid of Career politicians, thats the best thing to do, they need term limits.
Get rid of Political dynasties as well. Make it skip 2 generations before anyone in their family can run and relatives up to 3rd degree can't run in the same state/province.

They deserve salaries for their work. The issue isn't the above board money they get from taxpayers as salary. What you don't want is them taking money under the table to grant favors through policy...not even giving them a salary won't reduce that.

They deserve salaries for their work. The issue isn't the above board money they get from taxpayers as salary. What you don't want is them taking money under the table to grant favors through policy...not even giving them a salary won't reduce that.

I get that but if it's run like the Military, their money could be watch like they do with soldiers and commanders. Some thing would get by of course but mostly everything would be monitored down to the penny. So it would be harder for them to hide money. Maybe?

There is blame to go around. People need to hold politicians and political parties accountable for GOOD RESULTS. Actual, measurable results. Pop culture made us all obsessed with rhetoric and images. "Being Presidential" is a crock of shit. Everyone blames the pols and their backers, but the populace is as much to blame as they are.

You think they'll take less bribes if we stop paying them at all?

It is the after office jobs that concern me.

I don't care about the disclosed earnings of elected officials, its spare change against their spending budgets.

Donating to a particular politician should be illegal. All donations should go to a common pot to be split 45/45/10 for the top 3 political parties that they spread how they choose. Also politicians should be audited every year

You think they'll take less bribes if we stop paying them at all?

I think the people that would take the job after removing pay would be more like Volunteers and they dont steal that often. They do it to just help others instead of personal gain.

That's neck and neck with misappropriation of public funds. The mayor of my mom's hometown is a contractor. You better believe that he's been buying bigass heavy equipment and building unnecessary shit everywhere.

I get that but if it's run like the Military, their money could be watch like they do with soldiers and commanders. Some thing would get by of course but mostly everything would be monitored down to the penny. So it would be harder for them to hide money. Maybe?

This is kind of what Plato argues ole Smokes. A ruling class that has no connection whatsoever to the merchant class and only focuses on leadership, no other business. But it’s hard to make it happen

How do some end up making millions per year and get huge speaking fees?

Politicians should be on basic salaries. People shouldn't be able to choose a career in politics because of the money.

Back