Why do Petrosyan get shit on by muaythai enthusiasts?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I didn't stick around with it long, but muay thai was the first martial arts that I trained when I was like fairly young, so it has a special place in my heart, but I don't see why people hate on Petrosyan when it comes to muay thai.

Petrosyan arguablly went head to head and held more than his own against prime buakaw. I don't know how his clinch game looks, but a lot of times in Muay thai you can win against a lot of fighters without having a good clinch game as long as you can avoid it and nullify the other guy's attacks.

I don't really see why people automatically thinks if you put Petro in a muay thai fight he will struggle automatically

I am aware people also talk shit on Buakaw's muay thai accomplishments, and in turn his muay thai skills in comparison to all time greats, but Buakaw was pretty damn good whether you like it or not.

The fight with Buakaw was in K-1 rule with no elbow no full-Thai clinch (yes, despite being for World muay thai title). If you don't even know that then I think you need to go study Petrosyan's muay thai fights more before you post silly threads like this.

The fight with Buakaw was in K-1 rule with no elbow no full-Thai clinch (yes, despite being for World muay thai title). If you don't even know that then I think you need to go study Petrosyan's muay thai fights more before you post silly threads like this.
If I'm remembering correctly, it was a modified Muay Thai rule with no elbow but full clinch. Still not FTR.

I think people just react to comments about Petro being a Muay Thai great when he's barely fought the rules.

Sand in your vegege?

What the fuk is vegege lol? Why don't you make a detailed post about Petrosyan's muay thai career on your website then?

Unlike you I have watched Petro since he was a no name in the kickboxing world, and can actually detail his fight with Nonthanun and the drama behind the reason that he stopped doing muay thai.

Well, since I was being a dick with JustOnce, I guess I will explain in shorts. Petrosyan was actually a good up and coming muay thai prospect. He was undefeated then and was hyped to be the next big thing in muay thai. However, he lost to an underdog in Nonthanun in a fight that Petrosyan claimed that he was poisoned and stopped having a meaningful fight under muay thai rule since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever i see Yodsanklai winning by decision in kickboxing rules, throughout that fight i see many opportunity that Yod could KO that person with an elbow. Kickboxer doesn't train on elbow defence.

Compared to the top best elite Muay thais, Buakaw isn't up there. Sure Petro will do alright against decent Muay thai fighters, but the top tier muay thai fighter will give him a lot of elbows and clinching which he probably doesnt train to defend for.

Clinching is very important in Muay thai, Phetmorakot and Yodwicha were only in their teens when they defeated Saenchai. By clinching

Last edited:
Because he didn't fight muay thai at a high level, it's that simple

Because he didn't fight muay thai at a high level, it's that simple
or blames the loss to Nonthanan on tainted water then when he fights good Thais in Europe he has to use special rules to win like against Kem, Naruepol, And Sudsakorn.

Giorgio Petrosyan is a Kickboxing in Muay Thai the dynamics is already another. The methods of scoring the seized fight

For what it's worth, he is one of the only kickboxers that my kru (a muay thai purist) admires.

Back