Social Why do people watch shows like "The Bachelor" ?

The only reality show I ever watched was Survivor, only season 1 and 2. That's it.

I might garner some interest for a few of the "reality" shows if they were 100% organic. Definitely not the Bachelor/Bachelorette though.

Not a single one of those reality shows is 100% unscripted though.

I've only watched 2. First season of Survivor and first season of Big Brother.

Curious why people watch shows like "The Bachelor" when it is obviously fake / scripted / contrived ?

Do people who watch such reality TV shows actually believe the controversies and drama is organic?

I assume a lot of people are watching it otherwise it wouldn't be on the air.

My broad guess would be, that sex sells - so anything dating or sex-related will get a lot of views. Also, shallowness sells - there's a lot of very basic fuckers out there who only want to switch on a TV and see someone who 'reminds them of themselves'. For someone like that, it's highly easy to digest, it's short and sweet, and there will probably be petty drama - it suits a lot of people on this planet, sadly!

The target audience is women. Theres a lot of shows that will have zero appeal to you because they're not targeting you at all.
As a guy I never watched the show and none of my male friends watch it, which is totally not surprising as it's not the type of show guys are into. But the women in my family and female friends don't watch it either, so I was genuinely curious what made people gravitate towards such obviously fake reality shows.

My broad guess would be, that sex sells - so anything dating or sex-related will get a lot of views. Also, shallowness sells - there's a lot of very basic fuckers out there who only want to switch on a TV and see someone who 'reminds them of themselves'. For someone like that, it's highly easy to digest, it's short and sweet, and there will probably be petty drama - it suits a lot of people on this planet, sadly!
I wonder if the appeal is the same appeal some people have for daytime soap operas?

I wonder if the appeal is the same appeal some people have for daytime soap operas?

Definitely. 100%.

1) Relationships / sex / breakups / emotions
2) Drama
3) The most important one......"familiarity". They feel like they've gotten to know these characters ('people') - invested in their fake lives. It's like a comfort blanket.

It's mindless entertainment for most people, something they do from 6pm - 10pm every night like clockwork, usually while trying to juggle other shit like kids' bedtimes, food etc. Serves the perfect purpose.

Definitely. 100%.

1) Relationships / sex / breakups / emotions
2) Drama
3) The most important one......"familiarity". They feel like they've gotten to know these characters ('people') - invested in their fake lives. It's like a comfort blanket.

It's mindless entertainment for most people, something they do from 6pm - 10pm every night like clockwork, usually while trying to juggle other shit like kids' bedtimes, food etc. Serves the perfect purpose.
Everyone knows a soap opera is made up, but The Bachelor is supposed to be 'real' , yet it obviously isn't, so my bewilderment is why women don't get turned off by a fake show?

Everyone knows a soap opera is made up, but The Bachelor is supposed to be 'real' , yet it obviously isn't, so my bewilderment is why women don't get turned off by a fake show?

The women that love it, most of them, are pretty fake themselves! Its a comfort blanket, they can relate with the falseness of it all.

Mental floss.

Tatiana Suarez was a guest on an episode a few seasons ago, showed the dudes how to wrestle.

I personally don't know anyone that does. I mean what kind of ratings are they really getting? I doubt there's many people watching

It gives women hope that someday they too can find a guy as amazing as the guys on the show. They can fantasize about romantic getaways to Spain and having a private concert in France. It lets them escape their real shit-lives for a few hours a week.

I was actually recently invited to casting for the national Bachelor show over here. Politely turned it down.

All you guys on here saying it’s women that watch. But my memory recalls there being survivor and big brother season threads being made and posted in every year here on the ole dog.

Curious why people watch shows like "The Bachelor" when it is obviously fake / scripted / contrived ?

Do people who watch such reality TV shows actually believe the controversies and drama is organic?

I assume a lot of people are watching it otherwise it wouldn't be on the air.

While it's not for me women folk seem to love that shit.

Also does it matter that it's fake ? Movies TV dramas pro wrestling and sports are also fake and it doesn't really stop anyone from watching them

the-bachelor-206526.jpg

For the same reason they're not turned off by any other fake show. The "reality" isn't the appeal. The drama is. It's the common denominator for all these shows.

Women watch Joe millionaire for skill building. To be able to spot the difference between a rich dudes mannerisms from a poor ones.

But before we get judging here, how many bros here used to watch ole joe rogan on fear factor back in the day telling contestants on a reality show to eat pig dicks for cash? The male eqivellant of trash reality TV

Back