Why do people think that comparing common opponents or discussing style is MMAth

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by NoBiasJustMMA, Jan 7, 2015.

1. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I don't get this, it's happened to me more than once when I compare common opponents and how each fighter did against them as well as how and why they did good or bad and gave a prediction on how I think a fight will go. Yet when i've done this, some people call it MMAth.

From my understanding of the term it doesn't consider anything about the fighters just that if you beat someone then you would beat everyone they beat which is why it doesn't work.

IMO comparing common opponents and how they have done against certain styles isn't MMAth it's called an analysis.

The reason i'm posting this is cause someone said I was using MMAth when I said Overeem should beat Roy Nelson because Frank Mir was able to beat him in the clinch and with wrestling and he's kind of known not to be good at either of those things(he normally gets out wrestled and beaten up badly in the clinch) and Overeem is actually known to be very good in those areas.

Werdum also had a lot of success in the clinch against Roy, it seems to be a weakness of his.

2. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

I've had this issue as well.

MMAth is Kimbo > Fedor because Kimbo beat somebody, who beat somebody, who beat somebody, and eventually we get to somebody beating Fedor.

Common opponents is exactly as you say, analysis.
    X fighter did well in this aspect against Y fighter
    Z fighter did poorly in this aspect against Y fighter
    Z fighter may have issue against X fighter in that aspect of fighting.

3. Holic

Holic Yeah! More Sponduli!

Its not MMAth but your prediction does have a few holes. You are correct that Roy has trouble in the clinch and that Overeem has had success in the clinch but you aren't factoring in that ITS FUCKING OVEREEM and for all we know he will drop his hands and hold his chin out at Roy for 3 rounds.

4. Loiosh

Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Provide a quote of your comment that was called MMath.

5. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

There's absolutely nothing wrong when it's done in the form of actual analysis(i.e, your noting of how Nelson has problems inside the clinch and using past fights as reference). What people refer to as MMAth, or at least what it's supposed to be, is just using a fighter's record as a prediction of how a specific matchup will go.

6. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Black Belt

Styles make fights
    Matchups make fights
    Not everyone fights the same way, this is MIXED martial arts
    You cannot exactly compare fighter A with sick jiu jitsu beating fighter B who is a wrestler but fighter A lost to the fighter C who is a striker but fighter B took down C and wrestle fucked him

That is a sloppy example and is very basic, what I'm saying is everyone's skills are different in disciplines so one person fighting someone is completely different than another person fighting that same person. There are too many variables.

7. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

[​IMG]

8. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Black Belt

HAHAHA

Damn autocorrect :(

9. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

This was one of my many posts in Moneymma's thread analyzing the Overeem vs Nelson match up.

Originally Posted by NoBiasJustMMA View Post
    I am a fan of Mir and I enjoy Overeem's fights, not really a fan though. I'm not being biased in my prediction though, I explained why Overeem should win based on a common opponent that used aspects of fighting that he's not as good at when compared to Overeem(the clinch and wrestling).

Some of my other posts went into how basically Overeem has all the same advantages Mir had over Nelson plus more.