Why do people think conor is a great boxer?

its really not lol...compare guys like mas, and peter yhan with guys like conor.

fighting from the pocket vs fightign at distance
using boxing to set up openings vs using kicks and distance to set up openings

i get its subtle difference but one that is important

then your thread should be: who fights well in the pocket vs who fights well at a distance in order to put themselves in the best position to win.

I hate Conor, but I think you're a bit off base. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. one thing conor is great at is managing distance. if you "win the fight for distance", a lot of times you'll win the fight. he's often in kicking range, true. and he "times" his shots from the outside. true as well. does this mean he's not a good boxer in mma? or does this mean his strategy is the smartest route to get a W in a mma fight?

and the fight against Floyd (the best ever) shows he's a very talented boxer (in the boxing ring) as well.
Only reason floyd carried him

If Conor was truly bad, he wouldn't have won a single round.

He has good boxing from a distance.

He has bad boxing from close range because normally he would use elbows and knees there and Mayweather exploited that in later rounds
Yeah Conor's inside game is dog shit, lol

Outside game is quite good tho

So according to the TS, the only way to be a good boxer is to stand in the pocket and bang. That's an insult to the skill of great boxers. There are so many other factors that make somebody good. I. E. timing, coordination, distance management, reflexes etc

He has kinda the same pot shot style as Till who also got exposed couple of times already

So according to the TS, the only way to be a good boxer is to stand in the pocket and bang. That's an insult to the skill of great boxers. There are so many other factors that make somebody good. I. E. timing, coordination, distance management, reflexes etc

bang? i said that? i made a list of what i wanted to see in gifs and none of the nut huggers provided them. Fighting in the pocket, head movement, combination punches, rolling with punches,footwork in boxing range and counters in boxing range... i want to see any of it.. i didnt say anything about "just banging" . However when your striking is predicated on distance from kickign range and you actually use the kicks and threat of kicks to set up your strikes THATS not boxing. thats all. Hes more of a karate fighter with power.

look at

in the first gif neither one is even close enough to land a punch at first, thats not even boxing range..the nate 2 fight was loaded with kicks to start it..his leg buckled from the damage even in the gif.

i wnt to see rolling with punches, using head movment, countering in the pocket..boxing shit... i never once doubted conor is one of the very best mma strikers ever..anyone who denies that is fooling themselves

Moves head left and counters
fsPCQnE.gif

Head movement / slipping punches into counter
e5f6ab974f714f132453ed39c7daea86.gif

Throws left, misses, then ducks under possible punch
2469r3q.jpg

This is just a nice counter left
xfc8js.gif

Conor slips the right uppercut from Eddie with head movement
24ew9a8.gif

This is just nice distance management and speed
25726f6.gif

Shoulder rolling Floyd style
haso94ju

Im an internet noob and cant post gifs yet <45> Im an old soul sorry lolol

So if someone can provide the Buchinger gif ko, that would be much appreciated. Punching range, slips jab, puts him to sleep. Hes not a great boxer (hes decent), but that's one gif you cant really deny.

fsPCQnE.gif

2469r3q.jpg

xfc8js.gif

24ew9a8.gif

25726f6.gif

haso94ju

Ha beat me too it...check out first gif drunken

gifs? talk is cheap lol.. hes not a boxer in mma, he throws a lot of kicks and fights from range. using his masterful skills of timing and distance and footwork to counter..its simply not boxing tho
youre a casual nerd. you wouldnt know a good mma boxer if he hit you in the face. Mctapper has the best hands in the UFC in first 7.5 mins of a fight. you were making fun of my thread and youre asking ppl to prove he has good hands? compared to my thread which you trashed... this thread is pure shit. Even conors opponents (eddie, dustin, max etc) and khabib who knocked him down will tell you he has great boxing. let alone all MMA coaches, and none opponent fighters. damn, truly a shit thread.

if you say so. im actually NOT a hater of conor just a realist. Floyd wasnt worried about conors power man. Again, hes never fought any other "power puncher" that way. he fought conor 100% diffeent than anyone in boxing. He toyed with him, it sucks mma fans dont see it. He walked him down WITH HIS HANDS DOWN. even in round 1 he wasnt even thowing punches...we had 49 other fights from floyd that show us, thats not how hes fought. He said twice he was going to put on a show, both times vs non boxers and he did exactly that. He could have done conor the sme way he did the asian kid...i know mma fans dont want to hear that but its just a different sport all togther. i dont really hate on anyone though honestly, my answer was provided by different responses and i get it..most people assume punching in mma is boxing, thats just not true.

Conor is one of the best strikers ever, its just a hybird style NOT boxign thats all i was getting at.

Honestly I know nothing will convince a hater.

Mayweather himself could be standing there explaining it to a hater and a sherdog hater would say 'no. I actually know better. Let me tell you how you fought and why'. There is no hyperbole in that. Haters tell you all the time the fighter and pundits are wrong but listen to me and sherdog cred as I know.

Here is Floyd's own words

“He’s a hell of a fighter standing up — he kind of shocked me,” Mayweather said during the post-fight press conference (via MMA Junkie). “Our game plan was to take our time, let him shoot all these heavy shots, keep walking him down, keep walking him down, shoot heavy shots to the body, shoot big shots upstairs.”

(this is where haters jump in and tell you why Floyd did not really mean it)

fsPCQnE.gif

2469r3q.jpg

xfc8js.gif

24ew9a8.gif

25726f6.gif

haso94ju

NOW WE ARE TALKING. thank you sir for your additon to the thread.

Pre UFC conor did box some and amazingly,.ill eat that.. vs eddie.... look at his stance, hand placement and distance in the eddie fight..hes a karate styilist with power, am i wrong? i

In and out like a karate black belt. Not cirlcing off to the side really. Either way you did delieve the goods, i knew the eddie fight was going to get thrown in my face but the lack of other gifs kinda shows my point. hes a dominant mma striker who doesnt really use boxing too often. I guess he fucking mastered karate and boxing blend, its pretty nice i must say.

THANKS SHERBRO!

bang? i said that? i made a list of what i wanted to see in gifs and none of the nut huggers provided them. Fighting in the pocket, head movement, combination punches, rolling with punches,footwork in boxing range and counters in boxing range... i want to see any of it.. i didnt say anything about "just banging" . However when your striking is predicated on distance from kickign range and you actually use the kicks and threat of kicks to set up your strikes THATS not boxing. thats all. Hes more of a karate fighter with power.
I I might have misinterpreted what you meant. I see way too many people with the idea of if you can't brawl you're not a good boxer. Which is ridiculous. I get what you're saying but I also think you're not giving Connor enough credit in terms of being able to manage distance , slip punches & counter, and his timing. As the great orator Mike Goldberg said " his precision is very precise"

He did damn well against Floyd considering Anderson Silva and Mark Hunt two of the other best boxers in MMA got stopped by journeyman.

Compared to the clownings Naseem Hamed and Roy Jones Jr used to give against actual boxers out he did damn well.

Pre UFC conor did box some and amazingly,.ill eat that.. vs eddie.... look at his stance, hand placement and distance in the eddie fight..hes a karate styilist with power, am i wrong? i

In and out like a karate black belt. Not cirlcing off to the side really. Either way you did delieve the goods, i knew the eddie fight was going to get thrown in my face but the lack of other gifs kinda shows my point. hes a dominant mma striker who doesnt really use boxing too often. I guess he fucking mastered karate and boxing blend, its pretty nice i must say.

THANKS SHERBRO!
I'll also give it to you that yes he definitely has more of a karate based style. This is not necessarily mean that he's not a decent boxer at least. He just has a more unorthodox and non-traditional style than typical boxers.

THANKS SHERBRO!

He started becoming more boxing heavy after the first Diaz fight. He stopped throwing any form of kicks outside of the teep to the stomach, leg kick, side kick, or left head kick. No spinning kicks. The Holloway fight is the one fight where he threw more kicks than punches it seemed

But that's probably why there hasn't been as many in the past even though there has been a few
https://makeagif.com/i/z0cdpH This used to be a google gif but it broke so i had to find the original source. He does show some head movement here and ducks down in the Chad Mendes fight
200.gif

And then ducks down under Jose's left hand in the first exchange

And then here against Dustin Poirier he uses some nice head / upper body movement to avoid all of the punches

Honestly I know nothing will convince a hater.

Mayweather himself could be standing there explaining it to a hater and a sherdog hater would say 'no. I actually know better. Let me tell you how you fought and why'. There is no hyperbole in that. Haters tell you all the time the fighter and pundits are wrong but listen to me and sherdog cred as I know.

Here is Floyd's own words

“He’s a hell of a fighter standing up — he kind of shocked me,” Mayweather said during the post-fight press conference (via MMA Junkie). “Our game plan was to take our time, let him shoot all these heavy shots, keep walking him down, keep walking him down, shoot heavy shots to the body, shoot big shots upstairs.”

(this is where haters jump in and tell you why Floyd did not really mean it)

look i know how sherdog works so i dont blame you for painting with a board stroke here...but im not a hater and i have and will again admit to being wrong when it happens. We can agree to disagree i suppose....what i took from that was..when did floyd EVER use a game plan based on walking down his foe? he always used movement and defense all fight. You wont catch me saying that a man didnt mean what he said either.. i just was pointing out when making this thread that its not really basic boxing that conor exels in. hes kind of a hybird style...its relevant becaue he may one day face a guy who is a good boxer in mma (like mas) and i wonder how it will work out for him if they use pressure and take away his distance and kicking game. the floyd fight was completely off topic honestly and was never really going to be what is was promoted to be, im sure we can agree on at least that right?

A conor hater wouldnt admit that none of it REALLY matters..he will still fuck up almost every mma fighter on the earth under 155 pounds with his striking. No doubting how amazing and speical he is..i wasnt at all "hating" on conor. I just see people thinking he has this amazing boxing skill set he uses in MMA. I dont see it that way

Back