Why do people think conor is a great boxer?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Druken_Vovchanchyn, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Druken_Vovchanchyn

Druken_Vovchanchyn Yellow Card Yellow Card

is this the biggest myth in the UFC right now? Conor doesnt really display anything in his mma fights that show he has fantastic boxing. IMHO he has a karate style predicated on timing and counters. We dont see him in the pocket, we dont see him throw nice combinations, we dont see him slip punches or really use good head movement. Show me some gifs of him boxing in mma...dont show me him standing 5 feet away vs eddie, or him bouncing in and out vs aldo. I WANT TO SEE BOXING, In the pocket not kicking range. im sick of people saying hes some great boxer in mma. its simply NOT TURE. I dont want to hear about floyd playing with and carrying him for a few rounds either, that was pathetic and those rabbit punches were embarrassing.

I know that conor fans will dominate this thread and thats cool lol. i just want to say..conor is absolutely one of he deadliest strikers in mma history...its just not done with boxing, its simply not true. not every punch that lands was from a boxing technique

EDIT- everyone keeps talking about floyd, im guessing they never saw him say he carried conor right? This wasnt even about that but it needs to be said...

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...-conor-mcgregor-during-oscar-de-la-hoya-rant/
    "Everybody trying to protest the Mayweather-McGregor fight but I'm going to tell you all the truth," Mayweather said. "You know I carried McGregor. You know I made it look good for y'all."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Akoo

Akoo Orange Belt

Because he got them hands baby
    [​IMG]

Nicest thing he has done in the cage, besides the left straights. Is this fast combo where he starts with a right hook to the body followed by a straight left:
    [​IMG]

3. Übermacht

Übermacht ἅπαξ λεγόμενον

He is a great MMA boxer.

4. Druken_Vovchanchyn

gifs? talk is cheap lol.. hes not a boxer in mma, he throws a lot of kicks and fights from range. using his masterful skills of timing and distance and footwork to counter..its simply not boxing tho

5. Tomas

Tomas Brown Belt

Who cares? Why are we debating if he's a good MMA boxer or striker? Lol

6. Übermacht

Übermacht ἅπαξ λεγόμενον

it's MMA boxing mah dude

7. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

in the sport of boxing someone who's style is called "boxer" is the guy who stays on the outside and moves around hitting his opponent from distance then getting away before they can counter.

RightToBareKnuckles likes this.
  8. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Maybe his boxing alone is weak but he is a damn good striker for an mma guy. Only Anderson and maybe one or two more guys out there have ok boxing, the rest of mma fighters have pisspoor pure boxing.

9. thewhiterooster

thewhiterooster dana hates sunscreen

I hate Conor, but I think you're a bit off base. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. one thing conor is great at is managing distance. if you "win the fight for distance", a lot of times you'll win the fight. he's often in kicking range, true. and he "times" his shots from the outside. true as well. does this mean he's not a good boxer in mma? or does this mean his strategy is the smartest route to get a W in a mma fight?

and the fight against Floyd (the best ever) shows he's a very talented boxer (in the boxing ring) as well.

10. Fraz

Fraz The Larry

No one on earth can take that left hand

FireKidWS, Chok Sok Te and Jopo like this.
  11. Pakman

Pakman Gold Belt

idk about great but he is good.

fortheo likes this.
  12. Akoo

Akoo Orange Belt

Easy.
    [​IMG]

13. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

In MMA he DOES gauge distance very well and is precise with his left.

14. Druken_Vovchanchyn

well i did give him credit and say he was a master at distance and timing..but its important in the conext of fighting a GOOD boxer without kicks..like MAS

mas is going to get right in his face if they fought and make conor fight in the pocket. Mas has VERY good boxing IN THE POCKET (Actual boxing) and it would then be a huge issue.. There are a few guys that have good boxing in mma. Peter Yhan is amazing to watch, Mas as i said before, rapmage had good boxing. guys like that..i just see him get credit for "boxing" hes not that.

Gamer007 and bigmacbub like this.
  15. Druken_Vovchanchyn

i had that gif in my OP and took it out because i didnt want to give the huggers the chance to hit me with "but thats the best ever"...sure it is..but that shit is still embarrassing lol. THey think floyd couldnt have finished conor in 1 round..he could have

16. Druken_Vovchanchyn

they guy in your av is a boxer in mma. He will stand in the pocket roll with your punches and counter...theres a slight difference, i said very well hes a great mma striker lol

Übermacht likes this.
  17. FWRGeorgie

FWRGeorgie OH MY GOD!!!!

I think people think that boxing in MMA is anything involving punches

18. Jopo

Jopo Gold Belt

He's a great puncher. and he didn't have 0 strikes landed against floyd. He got some in. Who they say is the best defensive boxer ever. Not really a fair example if thats youre first boxing match.

Mcgregor has some boxing skill. I don't think anyone has ever said he'd do well in the sport of boxing.

mirellale and markg171 like this.
  19. thewhiterooster

thewhiterooster dana hates sunscreen

I actually understand what you're saying. one could argue that Conor's comfort zone and (where he puts himself in the best position to win) is to put his opponent at the end of his punches/kicks. so that's where we se him attack. ie smart. but I do believe he's got really good boxing in mma as well as in the boxing ring. it's just not his primary attack and focus in the cage.

20. Jopo

Jopo Gold Belt

Which is fine. There are a lot of guys in mma who almost soley rely on their punches and not much else. I mean what else are you gonna call their style and why does it matter.

Shaungotti and cmw43 like this.