Why do people pretend that Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t have sold a lot of PPVs?

That’s what I was thinking.

When you’re a superstar, your opponent plays a much smaller part in terms of a fight’s marketability.

PRIDE was proof of that. Although it’s getting harder to remember with time, I and many others were quite content with mismatches and freakshows sprinkled in with the legitimate match-ups.

Having said that, Woodley vs. GSP would have been a perfectly legitimate match-up. It was simply a more difficult option for GSP than Bisping and he knew it.

Many here are just content to delude themselves from the realization that GSP has always been a low risk/high reward fighter.
Totally agreed. Cheers!

Strongly disagree. GSP going for another WW title after four years of retirement is nothing big. GSP fighting as a MW was a big "let's see how he does" factor.
This is it,

Woodley was coming off one of the most boring WW title fights ever,
GSP return to WW at that time everyone would have expected him to win, no big deal no real interest.

Gsp getting up off the couch and packing on weight to fight the MW champ, a former LHW title contender had some serious
“How will this welterweight survive “ hype

This forum was absolutely full of “Gsp is just too small for bisping” talk.

It had a David vs Goliath feel to it, where as against Woodley at that time would not have.

It was “well he did nothing against Maia, Rory and marquart two or George’s friends and training partners made him look stupid and George is the best WW of all time, of course he wins. I’ll watch you tube clips of the highlights later no reason to order feel to it

Gsp fans don’t want him fighting someone like Woodley who has great tdd and ko power..

Gsp fans don’t want him fighting someone like Woodley who has great tdd and ko power..
Like Hendricks and kos?

He’s been there, done that and seen his buddies pick his holes apart and murder him.

It’s not that we are scared he’ll lose, it’s we are so confident he’d win we have zero fucking interest in the fight.

Per tapology dot com official UFC PPV sales history:

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 UFC 209– 300k PPV
Tyron Woodley vs Robbie Lawler UFC 201—240k PPV

Michael Bisping vs Dan henderson 2 UFC 204– 290k PPV
Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold 2 UFC 199– 283k PPV

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?

Your OP is based on a presumption that you assert with no verifiable proof. If your entire argument is that Bisping is not a better draw than Woodley this is true.

But to state in your title that GSP vs woodley would not sell has nothing to do with Bisping. GSP sells on his own. Bisping or woodley does not change that.

The argument that GSP picked Bisping because Bisping sells is just bullshit and doesnt make sense.
GSP went after Bisping because he saw a weak champ and an easy way to add a second belt to his legacy. Now he is a champ champ and can do what he wants. He didnt need bisping to draw shit.

Your OP is based on a presumption that you assert with no verifiable proof. If your entire argument is that Bisping is not a better draw than Woodley this is true.

But to state in your title that GSP vs woodley would not sell has nothing to do with Bisping. GSP sells on his own. Bisping or woodley does not change that.

The argument that GSP picked Bisping because Bisping sells is just bullshit and doesnt make sense.
GSP went after Bisping because he saw a weak champ and an easy way to add a second belt to his legacy. Now he is a champ champ and can do what he wants. He didnt need bisping to draw shit.
Gsp at that point in his career vs any ME for the title draws more than George vs and WW for the title.

Only exception to this would be if Hendricks was still champ and was challenging gsp’s Defense record.

George got bored at WW and his performances showed near the end.

He’s even stated this, NO ONE wants to see a bored George back at WW coasting to decisions. We want to see him challenging himself in new scenarios and going out for the finish

i think GSP ducked woodley IMO .. wasnt the safest and most rewarding choice ..

i bet dana lets him fight LW tho

@Myrddin Wild
Any predictions on a GSP/Woodley?
Think it might be 1.317m buys?
I'd set the over/under at 875k. Imo the Twood-GSP clash does a million regardless of anything else on the card. Casuals will always buy gsp cards. Hardcores buy everything. And the on the fence buyers pay to see if GSP is good enough to beat the next gen ww king. Woodley would make the promotion really fun in the lead up to this also. And win via KO inside of 4

I'd set the over/under at 875k. Imo the Twood-GSP clash does a million regardless of anything else on the card. Casuals will always buy gsp cards. Hardcores buy everything. And the on the fence buyers pay to see if GSP is good enough to beat the next gen ww king. Woodley would make the promotion really fun in the lead up to this also. And win via KO inside of 4

Hey man
It was an inside joke
In a thread a week ago a member quoted a "blogger" that did a bad copy/paste from Meltzer regarding PPV buys.
He had Alvarez & both Diaz fights at 1.317m buys.
I tried telling the member the blogger was an idiot & that all 3 PPV's did not sell the exact same buys, but ....

@Myrddin Wild was in on the thread

Hey man
It was an inside joke
In a thread a week ago a member quoted a "blogger" that did a bad copy/paste from Meltzer regarding PPV buys.
He had Alvarez & both Diaz fights at 1.317m buys.
I tried telling the member the blogger was an idiot & that all 3 PPV's did not sell the exact same buys, but ....

@Myrddin Wild was in on the thread
haha.. Confirmed! @John makfresshi

We had a bit of fun with him. He's a pretty knowledgable dude but he fooked up & came in chest puffed out with his data that showed the last 3 conor events all at 1.317M buys. o_O Exactly 1.317... wow... talk about Conor bringing on the consistancy. :rolleyes:

Once we pointed out that his source was obviously estimating the second 2 based on what Nate 1 did... we had to rag him out a bit for it, & now it's a bit of an inside joke. Every fooking thing is 1.317... Exactly. Not one digit more or less :D

haha.. Confirmed! @John makfresshi

We had a bit of fun with him. He's a pretty knowledgable dude but he fooked up & came in chest puffed out with his data that showed the last 3 conor events all at 1.317M buys. o_O Exactly 1.317... wow... talk about Conor bringing on the consistancy. :rolleyes:

Once we pointed out that his source was obviously estimating the second 2 based on what Nate 1 did.
.. we had to rag him out a bit for it, & now it's a bit of an inside joke. Every fooking thing is 1.317... Exactly. Not one digit more or less :D

I don't think the bold was the reason
I just think the blogger copy/paste wrong

Last edited:
GSP sells fights. That as close to a fact as you get in this circus.

Not a single person on this planet believes that GSP vs Woodley wouldn’t do well, why are you Trumpifying Sherdog with fake news?

The question is, would Woodle vs GSP have sold better than GSP vs Bisping? Bisping is a lot better at talking smack and selling fights, Woodley usually only complains about Dana White and racism. From GSP’s perspective, Bisping was the better fight - an easier fight and the same amount of money or even more. With a win (which everyone expected), he could go on to even bigger fights.

I have absolutely no clue what it is that you want with this thread, one of the most pointless threads in a a while (and now I feel ashamed for replying).

I'm certain when you say Tyron Woodley most Sherdoggers just have the Lawler GIF on repeat in their head

I disagree.

You don't like GSP. It is quite obvious based on the threads you make and the posts you like that bash him.

Woodley can't sell shit. GSP is better than Woodley. Woodley is also the most boring WW champ of all time.
2nd thread in a row I have read that is /thread after the first reply.

I'm certain when you say Tyron Woodley most Sherdoggers just have the Lawler GIF on repeat in their head
He is known as a knockout artist while having fewer finishes from strikes than GSP, who has been labeled a point fighter for half his career.

He came at just the right time for Robbie. Lawler had finished his war tour of Rory, Condit and Hendricks twice. Those 4 fights took just about everything out of him IMO and he is just about done now.

He came at just the right time for Robbie. Lawler had finished his war tour or Rory, Condit and Hendricks twice. Those 4 fights took just about everything out of him IMO and he .is just about done now.

+Woodley sat on the bench during those fight.

you can't deny these had an effect on the outcome, his greatest single accomplishment

Marquart , Rory and Maia that’s all I think about when I hear Tyron Woodley

And him looking so fukking small next to gsp before the bisping fight.

And Gsp patting him on the back and calling him “LITTLE BUDDY “ like he was a 10 yr old fan.

He’s not scarred of that mofo one fukking bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back