Why do people pretend that Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t have sold a lot of PPVs?

I think 750k is a good guess
If Woodley steps up with the hype it could be more
Soundz reasonable.

The best thing Woodley can do is come out gunz blazing against Till & then apologize for his past 3 performances & swear to god he'z not going to do that ever again. That's the best thing he could ever do to boost interest... if this GSP fight becomes a reality.

If he puts on another sleeper sparring session then 750k might be a stretch for the GSP fight. I mean 4 in a row FFS... I doubt his stock will even be high enough for GSP to consider fighting him. Then again, maybe he wants to secure his GOAT status in that division by derailing the new lion.

What? GSP vs Anyone sells well.
So why do a lot of people claim Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t sell compared to Bisping vs GSP?

Even though woodley draws higher numbers than Bisping did.

Exactly.

GSP is what sells those fights

They will be having a few cards on PPV because they are leaving BT Sports, but as far back as I know they didn't.

That is why MayMac did so well. They did 1.1m in UK alone & they don't have PPV for UFC (at that time)

PPV is 95% N.A.
I think australia as well but not a large enough amount to change a number

Aha, yeah.....it's a pay channel, not PPV.

I definitely remember ordering PPVs on Sky Box office and Setanta back in the day. Crocop v Gonzaga 1 instantly comes to mind.

Aha, yeah.....it's a pay channel, not PPV.

I definitely remember ordering PPVs on Sky Box office and Setanta back in the day. Crocop v Gonzaga 1 instantly comes to mind.

UFC 70?

Certainly could have been
I was not following it as closely 11 yers ago

Per tapology dot com official UFC PPV sales history:

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 UFC 209– 300k PPV
Tyron Woodley vs Robbie Lawler UFC 201—240k PPV

Michael Bisping vs Dan henderson 2 UFC 204– 290k PPV
Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold 2 UFC 199– 283k PPV

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?

Because MW title> WW title.

I guess it's a way to see it.
Another way would be that Bisping match way better with GSP, promotion wise.

GSP is the ultimate Face, while Bisping is one of the best Heel to ever do it.
IMO, Bisping vs GSP would have clearly sold better than Woodley vs GSP.
Plus the novelty factor of GSP going up at 185.
This. Plus, the Bisping fight was safer. As much as I hate to admit it, Woodley possesses GSP's kryptonite. GSP tools him 999/1000. But if Tyron connects just right, GSP will think Serra's punch came from a baby and Dana loses the fortune he will make off GSP's last string of fights. It was a business decision, pure and simple.

People know that Woodley would just cover up with his back against the cage, boring the shit out of everyone while GSP jabbed away. Woodley in the fight cancels out much of the sell power of his opponent...he's the single most boring motherFer in UFC.

I like GSP. He is a master tactician and a master at picking fights.

Why do you disagree? The facts are in the OP. What’s your reasoning, on why woodley “can’t sell shit”?

Bisping “can’t sell shit” either when he’s the one carrying a headliner.
Bisping easily outdraws Woodley.

Bisping is one of the UFC's top draws and it isn't even questionable.

Yeah you sure like GSP alright. The posts that you like in which people bash GSP tell another story but nice try.

None of what you said is a counter to the fact that GSP Woodley would have outsold GSP Bisping.
No one gives a fuck about Woodley, Jesus Christ.

People hate Bisping. That means more ppl want to see him fight. Super simple.

Who cares gsp straight up ducked Woodley, he talked on the mma hour about fighting maia when ariel asked him about the Woodley fight.

All the people in here talking about how much Woodley sucks dont realise that they would be the ones driving the sales numbers up. It would be the same reason Floyd sold well...people want to see him lose.

Who is saying that? GSP is a proven draw and would sell with anyone as his costar.

Man TS you really talk about GSP a lot. Even your threads not about GSP seemed to be thinly veiled attempts to get people to argue over whether or not Anderson/Jones are better than GSP

Get a ducking hobby. Talk about some different fighters. This shit is getting pathetic

Reeks of Toner/Dozer

Reeks of Toner/Dozer
Lol it’s amazing how so many of you miss Dozer to the point of trying to argue with him vicariously through other people.

@ThunderStruck has been arguing with random white belts too

I don’t blame you guys, Dozer was a great poster and he is surely missed by myself also.

Woodley does nothing for GSP's legacy. That's why he's not fighting him.

Woodley vs GSP would be a really good fight. Many true fans would love to see that match up, but truth betold GSP doesn't like that fight. Just like he doesnt like the Silva fight. GSP only fights if he's sure he will win.

He wants Conor/Khabib winner because he's the bigger fighter and the stronger fighter. Nate Diaz would be an easy fight as well, thats why he wanted it but Nate declined. Bisping was an tailor made match up for gsp's big return. Gsp wants nothing to do with the mw division now nor entertain the idea of dangerous ww's.

Per tapology dot com official UFC PPV sales history:

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 UFC 209– 300k PPV
Tyron Woodley vs Robbie Lawler UFC 201—240k PPV

Michael Bisping vs Dan henderson 2 UFC 204– 290k PPV
Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold 2 UFC 199– 283k PPV

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?
I wouldn’t have bought that fight.

Lol it’s amazing how so many of you miss Dozer to the point of trying to argue with him vicariously through other people.

@ThunderStruck has been arguing with random white belts too

I don’t blame you guys, Dozer was a great poster and he is surely missed by myself also.

Trying to argue with him through other people?

Lol

GSP sells a fight against anyone... Dumb question TS.

That’s what I was thinking.

When you’re a superstar, your opponent plays a much smaller part in terms of a fight’s marketability.

PRIDE was proof of that. Although it’s getting harder to remember with time, I and many others were quite content with mismatches and freakshows sprinkled in with the legitimate match-ups.

Having said that, Woodley vs. GSP would have been a perfectly legitimate match-up. It was simply a more difficult option for GSP than Bisping and he knew it.

Many here are just content to delude themselves from the realization that GSP has always been a low risk/high reward fighter.

Back