Why do people pretend that Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t have sold a lot of PPVs?

It would have nothing to do with Woodley

With Woodley stalling out his last 3 fights, I think that will kill the numberz a bit. I'm a pretty hard core GSP fan & that matchup is not even close to the most exciting fight for me even though it's for the belt. I'll still be watching live, but if I feel that way, then the casualz won't likely be excited enough to make this a winfall.

That said... It's still a GSP fight though... so it will be up around 7 - 800k. (or even slightly lower) It'll definitely be at the low end of GSP's capacity imo.

I think 750k is a good guess
If Woodley steps up with the hype it could be more

GSP is an easy $50 million in ppv buys no matter who he fights

Per tapology dot com official UFC PPV sales history:

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 UFC 209– 300k PPV
Tyron Woodley vs Robbie Lawler UFC 201—240k PPV

Michael Bisping vs Dan henderson 2 UFC 204– 290k PPV
Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold 2 UFC 199– 283k PPV

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?

Strongly disagree. GSP going for another WW title after four years of retirement is nothing big. GSP fighting as a MW was a big "let's see how he does" factor.

Numbers don’t lie. The PPV sales speak for themselves.

woodley headlining outsold bisping headlining pre-gsp fight. Facts.

There is more to UFC revenue than North American PPV numbers..........

Both irrelevant to GSP. Facts
What? GSP vs Anyone sells well.
So why do a lot of people claim Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t sell compared to Bisping vs GSP?

Even though woodley draws higher numbers than Bisping did.

What? GSP vs Anyone sells well.
So why do a lot of people claim Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t sell compared to Bisping vs GSP?

Even though woodley draws higher numbers than Bisping did.

Who says?

It's like you've invented a narrative, just so you can disprove it.

So lets say equal numbers.

Does Woodley offer the opportunity to achieve something that GSP has not achieved yet? No.

Just another WW belt. GSP has 11 already.

Fighting Bisping gave him the opportunity to become a dual division champ. And the build up was much easier with Bisping's charisma.

So why on earth would he pick Woodley?

Do they not? Used to be when I lived there.

They will be having a few cards on PPV because they are leaving BT Sports, but as far back as I know they didn't.

That is why MayMac did so well. They did 1.1m in UK alone & they don't have PPV for UFC (at that time)

PPV is 95% N.A.
I think australia as well but not a large enough amount to change a number

It's mainly said by some GSP fans who try and give a reason to why he shouldn't fight him. IE GSP is looking for money fights and Woodley wouldn't sell.

IMO it will sell despite Woodley's low numbers as you pointed out OP.

But in more ways than one I do agree with GSP's approach to cherry picking his fights. Leading up to his return GSP was extremely clear with not wanting to go back to his old ways of defending. He's at a stage in his career where he wants to make money and I don't blame him. A lot of us were confident he wasn't going to defend the middle weight belt and that's exactly what happened.

So for this very reason there's no desire for him to fight Woodley. He's already been champion at WW and Woodley is a dangerous opponent who isn't a favorable style match up for him in my opinion.

GSP wants Conor/Khabib but I can't see this happening, not unless Conor/Khabib plan on retiring soon.

Man TS you really talk about GSP a lot. Even your threads not about GSP seemed to be thinly veiled attempts to get people to argue over whether or not Anderson/Jones are better than GSP

Get a ducking hobby. Talk about some different fighters. This shit is getting pathetic

Its and excuse, Woodley is a very difficult fight for GSP. If George can't dictate where the fight takes place ie have the wrestling advantage he struggles and with his injuries and inactivity Woddley likely stops him, doubt he could survive what wonderboy did.

Back