Why do people pretend that Woodley vs GSP wouldn’t have sold a lot of PPVs?

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Per tapology dot com official UFC PPV sales history:

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 UFC 209– 300k PPV
Tyron Woodley vs Robbie Lawler UFC 201—240k PPV

Michael Bisping vs Dan henderson 2 UFC 204– 290k PPV
Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold 2 UFC 199– 283k PPV

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?

I disagree.

You don't like GSP. It is quite obvious based on the threads you make and the posts you like that bash him.

Woodley can't sell shit. GSP is better than Woodley. Woodley is also the most boring WW champ of all time.

I disagree.

You don't like GSP. It is quite obvious based on the threads you make and the posts you like that bash him.

Woodley can't sell shit. GSP is better than Woodley. Woodley is also the most boring WW champ of all time.
I like GSP. He is a master tactician and a master at picking fights.

Why do you disagree? The facts are in the OP. What’s your reasoning, on why woodley “can’t sell shit”?

Bisping “can’t sell shit” either when he’s the one carrying a headliner.

Woodley fights boring, and has a boring personality.

That doesn't sell PPVs.

I disagree.

None of what you said is a counter to the fact that GSP Woodley would have outsold GSP Bisping.

Ufc 209 300k people got robbed.

It is hard to say in these times just how much it would sell. With some of the newer UFC fans they aren't into GSP. So the feeling would be his long time fans will once again support him. Woodley on other hand has his critics who would love to see GSP dethrone him and would pay to see it. I think it would do more than the upcoming Woodley/Dill fight. Bottom line they would have to build the card. Very few of these fights alone are going to sell a lot of ppvs.

Because everyone suspects that match-up would be incredibly boring.

GSP-Woodley wouldn't do too well cause Woodley is that damn boring. You'd have to stack the PPV card and host it in Canada for it to be a success.

Nobody cares about Woodley.. He is desperately trying to talk his way into some great legacy but nobody is paying attention. Somebody will take that strap off him soon enough and he will be completely forgotten about.

I disagree. Bisping is an excellent heel and did well to build hype for the fight. Win or lose he's out there to fight.

Woodley can barely talk, and his fights are boring as fuck. No one gives a shit about him whereas Americans almost universally dislike Bisping and want to see him beat.

No fucking way. Bisping can talk and is big. Woodley couldn’t sell crack in a Queens crackhouse at the National Crackhead Emergency Convention during the Great Crack Crisis of 1987.

giphy.webp

GSP sells a fight against anyone... Dumb question TS.

Majority of people on this site said that GSP chose to fight Bisping over Woodley because he was some kind of huge draw. However, these PPV sales^^^ do not support that theory.

It’s a safe assumption to say UFC 217 Woodley vs GSP would have sold equal to or even more than the 850k PPVs that bisping vs GSP sold.

Bisping is not anymore of a draw than Woodley would have been facing GSP. Agree or disagree?

He is a bigger name in general, just not by any large margin. But the reason GSP chose him was because he wanted to become a two weight world champion, not just win back his old title. He probably also thought he was an easier opponent to beat than Woodley would have been.

Woodley fight would have sold well, I don't know anyone who says it wouldn't. Those that do probably just hate Woodley and don't want to see him get his money fight.

I guess it's a way to see it.
Another way would be that Bisping match way better with GSP, promotion wise.

GSP is the ultimate Face, while Bisping is one of the best Heel to ever do it.
IMO, Bisping vs GSP would have clearly sold better than Woodley vs GSP.
Plus the novelty factor of GSP going up at 185.

Only GSP fans would make such claim, and that's because THEY don't want to see Woodley beat GSP.

@Myrddin Wild
Any predictions on a GSP/Woodley?
Think it might be 1.317m buys?
Wow, that's fooking spooky. I waz just about to say the same thing!!! :eek:<Eek2.0>:eek: (Inside joke :p)

Haha... no seriously though... that's Conor's number. GSP typically rolls between 700k to just under the mill mark.

11/18/06 UFC 65 Hughes v. GSP II 500,000
04/07/07 UFC 69 GSP v. Serra 400,000
08/25/07 UFC 74 Couture v. Gonzaga 520,000
12/29/07 UFC 79 GSP v. Hughes III 650,000
04/19/08 UFC 83 GSP v. Serra 530,000
08/09/08 UFC 87 GSP / Fitch 625,000
01/31/09 UFC 94 GSP v. Penn II 920,000
07/11/09 UFC 100 Lesnar v. Mir 1,300,000
03/27/10 UFC 111 GSP vs. Hardy 770,000
12/11/10 UFC 124 GSP vs. Koscheck 785,000
04/30/11 UFC 129 GSP vs. Shields 800,000
11/17/12 UFC 154 GSP vs. Condit 700,000
03/16/13 UFC 158 GSP vs Diaz 950,000
11/16/13 UFC 167 GSP vs Hendricks 630,000
11/04/17 UFC 217 GSP vs Bisping 875,000

With Woodley stalling out his last 3 fights, I think that will kill the numberz a bit. I'm a pretty hard core GSP fan & that matchup is not even close to the most exciting fight for me even though it's for the belt. I'll still be watching live, but if I feel that way, then the casualz won't likely be excited enough to make this a winfall.

That said... It's still a GSP fight though... so it will be up around 7 - 800k. (or even slightly lower) It'll definitely be at the low end of GSP's capacity imo.

Back