Why do people like a fighter so much more when they win a lot?

Shit, all my original favourites are out of the game. Right now I just like exciting fighters, win or lose.

I agree but I would say Jon Jones is a bad example. Jon Jones has destroyed some of my favorite fighters and I hate him for it but you can't deny his brilliance inside the ring against other equally good opponents.

I don't think anyone denies his greatness as a fighter. But I can't cheer for him because I don't wish success on people who are trying to pass off a fake persona as a real one, and do awful shit that is against my values.

Some are more willing to look past those gaping imperfections just so they can bask in it. Some people don't put up with it no matter how great an athlete is.

Mike Tyson was a huge fan favorite and still seems to be loved, and he's a fucking rapist and a woman beater among other bad things.

Different strokes for different folks, some will be happy as long as they keep getting that fictional glory by association they think they are getting by standing by a douche who keeps on winning. Some people (me included) can recognize the dominance but still wish those people to go away because they can't cheer for someone like that.

I don't think anyone denies his greatness as a fighter. But I can't cheer for him because I don't wish success on people who are trying to pass off a fake persona as a real one, and do awful shit that is against my values.

Some are more willing to look past those gaping imperfections just so they can bask in it. Some people don't put up with it no matter how great an athlete is.

Mike Tyson was a huge fan favorite and still seems to be loved, and he's a fucking rapist and a woman beater among other bad things.

Different strokes for different folks, some will be happy as long as they keep getting that fictional glory by association they think they are getting by standing by a douche who keeps on winning. Some people (me included) can recognize the dominance but still wish those people to go away because they can't cheer for someone like that.

To be fair to Tyson, he was exploited by Don King and his entourage, and had no one in his life providing him with any self-control or restraint. Given that Tyson has a below-average IQ and documented mental illness, and was living within an insane bubble populated solely by people leeching off of his fame and success, it is little wonder that he became a terrible human being.

Doesn't mean he isn't responsible for what he chose to do, naturally.

The like the dominant champion because it feels good to have someone you root for win. The feeling of rooting for someone and just have that guy destroyed sucks.

Back