Why do people consider Penn/GSP 1 a robbery?

I watched the USA vs Canada card live in high school and remember being nervous about how close it was. Penn really deserved the beating he received in the rematch at least.

I'm the biggest GSP-maniac here and EVEN I SAY that BJ was robbed.

Less than a minute, twice in a row, with a few leg kicks in between. All total, about 2 minutes. Or, 1.5 minutes, and 20 seconds of GSP kicking a downed BJ. But I summarized all that the first time by saying "2 minutes". And about a minute of crowding BJ against the fence.

Cmon man, I posted the video, more than once. It's right there.

Look, my goal here is not to justify the scoring system. Pointing out that he won the round the way he did isn't the same thing as celebrating that particular set of rules.

But there is no rational way to claim that BJ won either round 2 or 3 using the Unified Rules of then, nor, or any time in between.

EDIT: I just realized you just read my first sentence, not the post, the thread, or the context.
Crowding him against the fence and kicking him a couple of times in the legs was enough to win the round in your eyes? Ok. I rewatched the fight already. Disagree is all. Was a close round but I thought BJ did more

At the time, And years after, there were many discussion, And several fans (maybe even the majority) that felt mma was going in the wrong direction. It was becoming more of a sport focusing on points than a fight. Many felt that the fights should be judged as a whole, And damage should be the main criteria.

That is why many felt that, And still remember it as a robbery (as well as many other fights where points was the criteria).

I havent seen it in years, but I also remember that BJ should have won. No matter what, It was a very good, close fight Between two of the best fighters of all time. BJ 1+2 is GSPs two most Impressive wins in my opinion. Very few could beat him at that time.

Last edited:
Crowding him against the fence and kicking him a couple of times in the legs was enough to win the round in your eyes? Ok. I rewatched the fight already. Disagree is all. Was a close round but I thought BJ did more
Fair enough. Cheers.

Because Matt Lindland at the end of the fight said "Look at his face!" and all the casuals agreed. Aside from a really bad eyepoke and a grazing uppercut to the tip of GSP's nose in the first round, BJ did nothing in that fight.

For those of us who were around for this might remember this fight was and still is always called a robbery for GSP but going back and watching it again 14 years later GSP pretty clearly won the last 2 rounds easily (except in the eyes of the redoubtable Cecil Peoples)

At the time alot of people made a big deal about how GSP looked after the fight vs. how BJ looked but most of that damage came in the 1st round which Penn won anyway. Not to mention the swollen eye was the result of an illegal thumb poke.

GSP landed more strikes, landed at a higher clip, controlled Penn against the fence, and landed multiple takedowns in the final 2 rounds.

I think maybe this was a case of alot of new fans from the TUF era not understanding MMA enough

View attachment 787408

It was a clear 29-28 GSP

Cecil fucking Peoples scored it 29-28 for BJ, that's all you need to know

Anyone else calling it a robbery is more than likely a salty BJ fan or a GSP hater

The only reason why its a 'split decision' is because of Cecil Peoples.

Back then Penn had a huge fanbase and what few fans remain don't realize the only reason there was any 'controversy' is because of Cecil Peoples.

I've never bought the Penn hype, though I do give him his respect for systematically picking apart Sanchez and Florian, and after that Penn was exposed and went on a losing streak against everyone not named Matt Hughes (far past his prime) and the draw with Jon Fitch.

Maybe Penn supporters/ fans used the " r" word. Alot of people thought bj edged pierre in 1st fight. A super close fight- robbery no. Also , again, keep in mind all these on paper numbers dont give alot of fights the justice it deserves..... as I segway into ,lol, pierre Hendricks flat out pure unadulterated ROBBERY.
The 2 fighters COLLEAGUES got it right around capeside as THEY ALL stood doing the SMH shuffle upon hearing the scores. Good G- ......

There is no controversy, except by people who have brain damage or are too biased to see things clearly. The first round was Penn's, the second and third were clearly GSPs.

The only reason why its a 'split decision' is because of Cecil Peoples.

Back then Penn had a huge fanbase and what few fans remain don't realize the only reason there was any 'controversy' is because of Cecil Peoples.

I've never bought the Penn hype, though I do give him his respect for systematically picking apart Sanchez and Florian, and after that Penn was exposed and went on a losing streak against everyone not named Matt Hughes (far past his prime) and the draw with Jon Fitch.
The 1st part of your assessment is a moot point, while the 2nd part is a complete contradiction.

It iz what it iz.

People were mad because they felt like BJ did more damage in the one round he won than GSP did in the two he won. Back then, there was a big debate about how MMA should be scored.

The thing I never understood is: if BJ did so much damage in round 1, why was GSP able to rally and win the next two rounds? Intuitively, you would think that the fighter that takes more damage early on is going to be disadvantaged for the rest of the fight. Truth is just that GSP has paper skin and takes a lot of superficial damage when he fights.

This exactly. If the damage was really that significant, why did GSP clearly win the last two rounds? His face got marked up, but he was never dropped or even rocked. And again, the eye swelling was a direct result of the thumb in the eye

Good fight. Not a robbery at all, but certainly a very close fight. I think Penn's success may be slightly exaggerated as a talking point for his legacy. As time passed and GSP's legacy grew, Penn's fanbase clung more and more to the "GSP went to the hospital, Penn went to the bar" sentiment, acting like there is no way GSP should win the decision.

You bring up a good point. I could understand if Penn fans said it was a close fight and they think Penn won, but calling it a robbery means that Penn did substantially more than GSP did, and that just objectively isn't the case. If you think Penn won, that's fine, but calling it a robbery is delusional

Back