Why do people consider Penn/GSP 1 a robbery?

Because BJ Penn had 1 good round where he bloodied up GSP’s face before getting outstruck and outgrappled in the next 2 rounds

How can you score round 2 for GSP? He did almost no damage while BJ was landing a lot of punches. GSP got a late take down (15 seconds left into the round) and preceded to do no damage as usual. I like how just getting a takedown is worth more “points” than punching someone in the face

How can you score round 2 for GSP? He did almost no damage while BJ was landing a lot of punches. GSP got a late take down (15 seconds left into the round) and preceded to do no damage as usual. I like how just getting a takedown is worth more “points” than punching someone in the face
If top control didn't count for anything, BJ probably won this round. GSP landed a variety of shots, BJ landed some decent jabs, neither hurt the other much, both blocked a lot. BJ blocked every low kick.

But this sentence:

He did almost no damage while BJ was landing a lot of punches.

Does not hold water. At best, BJ probably did slightly better (landed some solid jabs) than GSP...if top control didn't count for anything.

But we know top control (and clinching at the fence) does count for something, and counted even more then. GSP rode him for 2 minutes, pushed him against the cage another minute, and got a takedown in the last 15 seconds.

That's how.

I linked to the fight a few posts ago, you should watch it again. Round 2 starts around minute 12. Cheers.

Same reason people think GSP vs Hendricks was a robbery, just go back and look at most fights and you’ll see the judges got it right pretty much all the time.

Nah, Hendricks arguably won and the fight was razor close, the BJ fight is an easy 29-28 for GSP.
Nice try though.

Same reason people think GSP vs Hendricks was a robbery, just go back and look at most fights and you’ll see the judges got it right pretty much all the time.
100% correct. Gsp won the first round and hendricks phoned in the last round. And bj lost because he didn't want it . Ppl who think otherwise have no business even sniffing an mma bout

then conor came. as a bj fan anyone saying he should have won the fight should be insta banned. how conor fans surpassed bj's in forms of delusion is beyond me. bj fans were crazy. i tihnk a mod was banned at one point too
Positivebalance

BJ Penn by far had the dumbest most delusional nuthuggers in Sherdog history.

That fight was one of the worst robberies in the history of the sport.

ZdyFb6w.gif

If top control didn't count for anything, BJ probably won this round. GSP landed a variety of shots, BJ landed some decent jabs, neither hurt the other much, both blocked a lot. BJ blocked every low kick.

But this sentence:

Does not hold water. At best, BJ probably did slightly better (landed some solid jabs) than GSP...if top control didn't count for anything.

But we know top control (and clinching at the fence) does count for something, and counted even more then. GSP rode him for 2 minutes, pushed him against the cage another minute, and got a takedown in the last 15 seconds.

That's how.

I linked to the fight a few posts ago, you should watch it again. Round 2 starts around minute 12. Cheers.
Top control. He had him on the ground for less than a minute and didn’t do any damage while there

Top control. He had him on the ground for less than a minute and didn’t do any damage while there
Less than a minute, twice in a row, with a few leg kicks in between. All total, about 2 minutes. Or, 1.5 minutes, and 20 seconds of GSP kicking a downed BJ. But I summarized all that the first time by saying "2 minutes". And about a minute of crowding BJ against the fence.

Cmon man, I posted the video, more than once. It's right there.

Look, my goal here is not to justify the scoring system. Pointing out that he won the round the way he did isn't the same thing as celebrating that particular set of rules.

But there is no rational way to claim that BJ won either round 2 or 3 using the Unified Rules of then, nor, or any time in between.

EDIT: I just realized you just read my first sentence, not the post, the thread, or the context.

Last edited:
Because PRIDE fans were used to judges favoring smaller fighters in cross weight class fights.

ShinyFrequentElkhound-size_restricted.gif

These are the strikes that Strikemetric are counting.
this is why my head explodes when people start citing the significant strikes tally. there is no science to it, it is as bullshit as the judging itself.

BJ Penn by far had the dumbest most delusional nuthuggers in Sherdog history.

Their leader was this idiot poster, Positivebalance, who kept bumping this GSP vs Penn thread for months and months which instigated a lot of friction / arguments between the two sides.

I think it was just hours after the second Frankie Edgar loss that Positivebalance was finally put down by a fellow mod after throwing a tantrum.

OH man the glory days of sherdog.

'hobbery' is an inaccurate term here, jus´like this eye poke narrative used by the No Rush fanbase to deflect No Rush´s limited skill set at the time.

Nuff´Said.

So what is your assessment of this fight how did you score it?

Cause BJ did more damage in the fight and people like to forget that fights are scored by round when it suits the argument they want to make.

But most of the damage was caused following an eye poke. The reason GSP was in the hospital was because he had an actual cut on the eyeball.

Last edited:
Maybe just if viewed with Pride rules.

GSP controlled BJ Penn for two rounds and did basically no damage.

BJ Penn lit up GSP in that first round.

GSP DID go to the hospital post fight.
BJ Penn went out clubbing post fight.

But no ... its not a robbery. GSP won the "fight"/contest based on the rules of the UFC.

But all the damage caused by Penn was initiated with an eye poke. A foul.

It's been a really long time since I saw the fight but the night of the fight I recall thinking BJ won the last two rounds. In today's UFC blocking or checking a strike doesn't count as a strike. 15 years ago those strikes would count. We just have different judging criteria now and, imo, it's vastly better now than how it was in the past.

ROFL heres one of these delusionnal BJ fanboi everyone is referring to.

Back