Why do people consider Penn/GSP 1 a robbery?

For the same reason people think Max v Holloway was a robbery - because BJ did more damage in the round he won, than GSP did in the rounds he won.

There are 2 types of people who think this way:
  1. Those that, in the quiet times before going to sleep, they admit to themselves that they are not basing it on the 10 point must system, and that it's more emotional than rational.
  2. Those that score it based on how they think scoring SHOULD BE, instead of how it IS.
But mostly it's just a "Diaz 245" sort of sheeple mentality. Don't ake these folks too seriously - they're not worth the energy.
no point in having 10 point scoring if you just use the numbers 10 and 9. might as well just make it 1 point scoring.

ShinyFrequentElkhound-size_restricted.gif

These are the strikes that Strikemetric are counting.

ShinyFrequentElkhound-size_restricted.gif

These are the strikes that Strikemetric are counting.
But surely you didn't score either round 2 or 3 for BJ, did you?

I'm a big BJ fan. I don't think anyone scored round 2 for him. Or round 3. Including those that think he "won" or "should have won".

Point is, no one is claiming he won 2/3 rounds. They're only claiming he "won the fight". So they're side stepping minor details, like "how did he win the fight, using the scoring criteria they agreed on?"

GSP didn't do all that much, I grant you. He certainly never hurt BJ. He just did more than BJ, for 2 rounds.

EDIT: One last thing. The exception to the rule of "no one scored round 2 or 3 for BJ" is...that's right, Cecil Peoples. But IMO that only strengthens my argument ;)

Last edited:
people dont grasp that because its a stupid way to score three and five round fights.
I understand that. But that is how the fights are scored. You can’t argue someone won a fight based on a system that doesn’t exist.

But surely you didn't score either round 2 or 3 for BJ, did you?

I'm a big BJ fan. I don't think anyone scored round 2 for him. Or round 3. Including those that think he "won" or "should have won".

Point is, no one is claiming he won 2/3 rounds. They're only claiming he "won the fight". So they're side stepping minor details, like "how did he win the fight, using the scoring criteria they agreed on?"

GSP didn't do all that much, I grant you. He certainly never hurt BJ. He just did more than BJ, for 2 rounds.
It's been a really long time since I saw the fight but the night of the fight I recall thinking BJ won the last two rounds. In today's UFC blocking or checking a strike doesn't count as a strike. 15 years ago those strikes would count. We just have different judging criteria now and, imo, it's vastly better now than how it was in the past.

It's been a really long time since I saw the fight but the night of the fight I recall thinking BJ won the last two rounds. In today's UFC blocking or checking a strike doesn't count as a strike. 15 years ago those strikes would count. We just have different judging criteria now and, imo, it's vastly better now than how it was in the past.
Heh, it has been a long time.

BJ won round 1 easily. GSP won rounds 2 and 3 easily...just not as strongly as BJ won round 1.

Round 1 was not a 10-8, then or now. GSP won rounds 2 and 3, then and now. It was a crystal clear decision, then and now. The 2018 Unified Rules liberalized 10-8's for sure, but they didn't change the scoring that much.

And this is coming from someone who think BJ was robbed in Edgar I. I'm a big BJ fan. I just don't let my fannation status get in the way of critical thinking.

Cheers.

The 2018 Unified Rules liberalized 10-8's for sure, but they didn't change the scoring that much.
They've drastically changed how we view strikes and grappling. The power or damage of a strike is actually accounted for in today's judging criteria and what you do with a takedown is also now accounted for in todays' judging criteria... It wasn't before. It wasn't in the old judging criteria in any way, shape, or form. If you don't think that's drastically different I'm not sure what to say.

They've drastically changed how we view strikes and grappling. The power or damage of the strike is actually accounted for in today's judging criteria and what you do with a takedown is also now accounted for in todays' judging criteria... It wasn't before. If you don't think that's drastically different I'm not sure what to say.
But BJ barely landed anything in rounds 2 and 3. So that point is N/A.

What you remember is BJ landing in round 1. Even hurting GSP for a second. Certainly bloodying him.

Round one was 10-8 BJ, round two was 10-9 Pierre (laynpray), round 3 was 10-9 Penn (almost gogo'd Pierre).

But BJ barely landed anything in rounds 2 and 3. So that point is N/A.

What you remember is BJ landing in round 1. Even hurting GSP for a second. Certainly bloodying him.
I'm not arguing who won or not, I honestly don't care. I'm simply pointing out that looking at fightmetric from 15 years ago is a flawed system with how we and judges now view strikes and grappling.

I'm not arguing who won or not, I honestly don't care. I'm simply pointing out that looking at fightmetric from 15 years ago is a flawed system with how we and judges now view strikes and grappling.
Fair enough. I was confused, considering this is a thread about....who won or not ;)

I've said enough. I'm out. Enjoy this fights tomorrow.

They've drastically changed how we view strikes and grappling. The power or damage of a strike is actually accounted for in today's judging criteria and what you do with a takedown is also now accounted for in todays' judging criteria... It wasn't before. It wasn't in the old judging criteria in any way, shape, or form. If you don't think that's drastically different I'm not sure what to say.

I don't really think the rules on judging a fight have changed that much. They basically just clarified the rules because shitty judges didn't understand that effective striking meant damage>volume and that takedowns don't count for much unless there is a big impact or you do something after the takedown. The new judging criteria is basically the same old criteria just reworded for people that don't understand MMA.

The only major change that happened is they are more liberal with 10-8 rounds. It seemed like the only thing that was drastically different is that judges now better understand how they were supposed to be scoring fights(cause most of them came from boxing and didn't understand MMA).

because he did a considerable amount more damage against a much bigger man who was greased up and cheating

OK, I have an answer.

Here's the fight.

Go to 16:55 in the video. Rogan says "GSP knows he'd better do something...just from looks alone, he looks all busted up" and Goldie (I think) says "although we have it at 1-1".

So there you go. BJ won round 1, busted GSP up, and Rogan's words convinced the masses that it mattered more than the fact it was 1-1 going into the 3rd.

And the masses listened.

Feel free to watch the next - or prior - 5 minutes to actually watch GSP win rounds 2 and 3.

So that's the answer - some people think BJ won because GSP was bloodied and BJ wasn't. The fact they have to ignore the 10 point must system to maintain that opinion doesn't matter to them.

Last edited:
Round one was 10-8 BJ, round two was 10-9 Pierre (laynpray), round 3 was 10-9 Penn (almost gogo'd Pierre).
Almost? That's a stretch. He certainly attempted one. But it's pretty far fetched to say he almost sunk one.

GSP continued GnP'ing BJ unphased all the way through the attempt, escaped, and continued GnP'ing. Watch minute 20-21 of this video

Because Penn fans were legit crazy people back in the day. They acted like a mix of Diaz and Conor fans, but maybe worse

Back