Why do people complain about dragon age II?

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Rod1, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

I just recently picked the games on steam, i played origins and awakenings and they were pretty good games, i loved the game but there were so many exploits the game became kind of dull, even on nightmare.

So far im liking dragon age 2 more, more main character interaction, more differences between characters and less exploitable spells it seems (although im just past the first act).

Seriously dragon age origins combat was just bad, it was pretty awesome in the first levels, but once you get enough spells and items, the game just doesnt scales up, i played the last parts on nightmare and the only thing i had to select was the opening spells, nuke the enemy casters with mana clash then sit and watch.

2. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

Because the entire game takes place in one location with a ridiculous amount of re-used dungeons. The companions are mostly forgettable and the scope of the plot is pretty minimal.

It's also one of the most obvious rush jobs of all time. I, personally, do not fault Bioware at all for that game. I believe they did what they could with the time they had.

3. Scouseknight

Scouseknight Blue Belt

The restrictions on where you could go was annoying - so many invisible walls and re-use of the same areas for the 'filler' sections.

That being said, I enjoyed the game - just not as much as Origins - although I did like the combat more in 2 I enjoyed the open world more in Origins.

Glad to say Inquisition has managed to combine the best of both games.

Very satisfied Dragon Age fan here.

4. VicariousVice

VicariousVice Brown Belt

One because the entire game takes place in ONE city and the surrounding area. Also, the combat was more action oriented over strategy. Also, the story and final battle weren't that great. Finally, the fact that you couldn't customize your parties armor was a nuisance.

In truth, everyone compared it too DAO, and in these categories it just paled in comparison.

It's a good game as a stand-alone. But for a Dragon Age game, it's not that good.

5. vorpalraddish

vorpalraddish ★ Diamond Dog ★

I was DA II's biggest defender during the first 2 weeks after its release, but it is seriously a train wreck of a game. It's still fresh and exciting to you now OP, but about half way through you realize how monotonous and hollow it is. The final act being especially heinous. The most unforgivable thing for me was a game breaking bug that permanently lowered by main character's attack speed to 1 (yes, I said 1), forcing me to restart my entire first playthrough.

To answer your question in depth, DA II has far less gameplay depth than Origins (less character customization, smaller skill trees, limited dialogue options, etc.), confined game world with massively recycled content (same interiors reused over and over again for different dungeons, constant backtracking, an end-boss is directly copy and pasted from an Origins DLC despite making zero sense canonically), a highly forgettable cast, a weak and inconsequential plot, illogical character decisions & actions, tedious quests, retconning, shoestring budget, and an absurdly short development time.

While originally I, like you, was very critical of Origins's combat, after numerous playthroughs and countless hours spent experimenting with the metagame (I coincidentally just finished my 10th or so nightmare run through Origins and Awakenings about 2 weeks ago) I realized combat is not the issue, it's the Dragon Age team's inability to design interesting encounters.

Every enemy engagement in every Dragon Age title is essentially the same: melee combatants run at you and spam attack until one of you dies, ranged fighters sit back and plink at you, sometimes there'll be waves and every once in awhile you'll encounter a big dude that may or may not do some kind of AoE. That's it. The only strategy required is when you encounter an occasional trap (which are now non-existent) or an enemy mage, but, like you mentioned, the spell Mana Clash trivializes those enemy mages to the point of virtual exploding red barrels. To this day every enemy follows the same script without variation. Inquisition has tried to remedy this by introducing a few new enemies with unique movesets (like Terror Demons), but not by much. Hell, elemental weakness and resistances are still rarely implemented in this series.

DA II's action-oriented shift may feel more engaging, but you actually have less gameplay and character build options than in Origins and are forced even more into using a handful of useful talents. Essentially you just end up pressing more buttons to do less actions.

DA II did some things right, like allowing more tactic slots and not tying them to skill points, but for the most part it was a sloppy hatchet job rushed out in less than a year after Awakening to cash in on Origins's success. I'm usually very critical of BioWare's modern development team but even I feel sorry for them here. The entire game feels like it was made at gunpoint by EA executives.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015