Why do people bash Khabib's preformance against Al?

LLD2008

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The fight was on very short notice and Khabib kept having his opponent changed after Tony pulled out, then Max, until Al had to step in to save the card. Plus Al isn't exacty a scrub and is pretty underrated , he also has a wrestling background. Its pretty impressive Khabib beat Al on very short notice.

Stupidity. Lack of knowledge of stylistic matchups.

I actually put a couple hundred down on Iaquinta before that fight because, while I expected Khabib to win, I knew Al was a bad matchup with high level TDD (stuffed Kevin Lee 7/8 times) and dynamite in his fists coming off 5 straight wins. The odds were way too skewed in Khabib's favor so I could have made a KILLING. At the very least I knew Al would make Khabib look less invincible.

Conor on the other hand has great striking but weak TDD so I think Khabib is just going to walk right through him.

If McGregor and Iaquinta fought on the other hand, it would be a bad matchup for Al.

Styles make fights.

Last edited:

"Khabib looked awful"

Yeah that's true. It just proved that when neither Khabib or Al can gameplan adequately, Khabib was the better fighter. In my opinion with gameplanning around certain tendencies I see an even worse beating from Khabib.

It was his least impressive win for sure. Tops the Tibau win on least impressive wins because Gleison was so fucking jacked and has unbelievable TDD stats.

Of course this list is 2 fights long out of like 26 so it doesn't hold much weight in my eyes when looking at Khabibs career.

It is quite funny how people talk about that fight. Khabib's opponent changed a bunch of times and he accepted them all, and there was a lot of random shit going on that most fighters would have been annoyed with. Dude handled it well and then beat the tar out of Al who is always a game opponent.

The fight was on very short notice and Khabib kept having his opponent changed after Tony pulled out, then Max, until Al had to step in to save the card. Plus Al isn't exacty a scrub and is pretty underrated , he also has a wrestling background. Its pretty impressive Khabib beat Al on very short notice.

easy cause conor fan boys are stupid.

Because Al is a second rate fighter and Khabib showed gaping holes in his striking that better fighters could exploit.

1. It was a very good performance
2. It wasn't a flawless performance that is above being critiqued

I guess winning 50-43 is a bad thing in the minds of conor fan boys eyes.

Because Al is a second rate fighter and Khabib showed gaping holes in his striking that better fighters could exploit.

so 50-43 is meaningless.

Good question.

Kahbib's short notice performance against Al was far better than Conor's short notice performance against Nate Diaz.

Only people who know shit about MMA didn't see those holes in Khabib's striking his entire career, or know that they would become a lot more pronounced against someone with TDD. I think he's better than he looks, particularly his defense, but he's no striker and never has been.

I couldn't believe Rogan was even surprised. For all the fights he's seen he's not a very good read of fighters and stylistic matchups.

Last edited:
it was the 11th ranked opponent fighting the number 1 lw in the world arguably.

can you imagine if the patriots won the superbowl vs the browns?

Conor will be an easier fight for Khabib since he compared to Al has:
- worse TD defence
- worse wrestling
- worse KO power
- worse cardio
- worse heart

Because Al is an overrated fighter to give Khabib false credit, and Khabib couldn't do anything impressive against him. Same reason Jon gets flack for his performance against OSP. Winning a fight doesn't tell the whole story. It's how you win.

1. Ragin Al is very underrated.

2. People inexplicably expected Khabib to finish the fight easily, when the overwhelming evidence demonstrates that Khabib's fights go the distance (albeit one-sided beatings).

3. People inexplicably failed to realize that Al is a bad stylistic matchup for Khabib. A power-punching striker with good TDD would seem to be the path toward beating Khabib.

4. Haters gonna hate.

for a #1 to not be able to finish a #11 is pretty weak to me. GSP rarely finished guys either, but he wasn't fighting #11's when he was champ.

it was the 11th ranked opponent fighting the number 1 lw in the world arguably.

can you imagine if the patriots won the superbowl vs the browns?
no because they're both in the AFC

Al had won 7 of his last 8 and 5 straight (4 by KO/TKO) heading into that fight. Not exactly a scrub who they found at the last minute. Khabib had it in the bag and managed to stand and jab his face to a pulp when striking isn't exactly his thing.

Khabib went off on his own and played around for a couple rounds because he was that confident in the win.

It was a dominating performance but Al's been finished on the ground in all three of his losses by complete nobodies, yet Khabib, supposedly the most devastating combatant on the ground, couldn't come close to finishing him.

Al is not that great and Khabib couldn't put him away. Al was competitive on the feet in the final rounds a position in which Conor could probably KO him.

Back