Why do people act like there is a major difference between HWs and LHWs?

Weight wise, yes. All those HWs might weigh in at 235 but put on size as fight night comes. A guy like Overeem may weight in at 240lbs, but could probably add 15lbs on fight night. These guys are training and shredding fat and weight up to the weigh-ins. It's not like they come into camp at 240lbs and remain that weight up until the fight. I'm pretty sure JDS walks around higher than 239lbs.

So you think JDS, Werdum, Cain, etc are all cutting weight for no reason prior to the fight?

uhhhh what?

I think the major difference between HWs and LHWs is a lot of HWs have a lot lower ceilings.

I act that way because I saw what a beating Fabio Maldonado took from Glover Teixeira and how many punches he was able to absorb from Stipe Miocic.

He seems smaller than Overeem but not much smaller than the other guys.

Jones is probably a bit smaller than Overeem, but not to the point where you would think that "omg, they should be in different weight classes" or anything. Especially if he didn't work on keeping his weight down to make LHW.

Jones at 228 lbs with next to no body fat at all:

Screen-Shot-2015-11-17-at-6.19.59-PM.png

Just for comparison sake:

fedoraa.jpg

2eajtzs_medium.jpg

I act that way because I saw what a beating Fabio Maldonado took from Glover Teixeira and how many punches he was able to absorb from Stipe Miocic.
Stipe is one specific guy though.

Do you think there is a major innate difference between 6'1 240 lb Cain or 235 lb Werdum and a typical modern LHW?

What about 220 something HWs in striking sports, would you consider them legit HWs or not if they came to MMA while being lighter than MMA LHWs?

So you think JDS, Werdum, Cain, etc are all cutting weight for no reason prior to the fight?

uhhhh what?
You think everyone comes into the start of their camp at the weight that they weigh in at? You think all those guys walk around at the weight they weigh in at? Uhhhhhhh what?

You think everyone comes into the start of their camp at the weight that they weigh in at? You think all those guys walk around at the weight they weigh in at? Uhhhhhhh what?

Of course their off-season weight is probably higher than their fight weight. It is for everybody. I have no idea what your point is.

Weight wise, yes. All those HWs might weigh in at 235 but put on size as fight night comes. A guy like Overeem may weight in at 240lbs, but could probably add 15lbs on fight night. These guys are training and shredding fat and weight up to the weigh-ins. It's not like they come into camp at 240lbs and remain that weight up until the fight. I'm pretty sure JDS walks around higher than 239lbs.

And you didnt say anything about their off-season weight.....

You pointedly said that a guy like Overeem can weigh in at 240 lbs... and then go up to 255 lbs the next night for the fight.... which implies you think they are cutting weight for absolutely no reason at all.

And no, they don't GAIN weight throughout their camp. They lose it.

Fedor is a good example.

It's different in striking sports where a 220 HW has the combination of size & speed to work most slow bodybuilder types. But in MMA giving up 20 pounds at 220 is a different ball game.

Sure Fedor was 230 in his prime and CC as light as just below 220, but those guys were strong enough to mostly get the job done despite being taken down every now and then and had the speed & skill edge standing. DC's undersized and overweight as a HW, but has the wrestling to not get BF killed when that dude gets on top. So you need to be much more skilled or have Manhoef power and play the matador if you give up size.

Those 3 guys are exceptions, while Chuck, Randy, Rumble, Gus, Jones, Glover, Davis, Rampage, Tito and Rogerio are the rule.
Randy struggled with big grapplers.
Rumble barely got past AA, who at the time and now isn't a great HW, while Rumble's a great LHW.
Rampage didn't want to fight Sergei because of size and Barnett did what he wanted to him when sparring. Took him down and kept him there.
Jones has still not fought at HW despite years of talking about it. He agrees that the bigger guys could give him trouble.

Size makes a difference in wrestling and grappling more so than in striking (using reach or negating it being a main thing with it), and bigger framed guys take a better punch on average.

Did you not watch PRIDE FC? We saw all kinds of smaller dudes get savagely murdered by larger men.

Jon Jones could tool someone like Bigfoot, Hunt etc...but JDS absolutely sends him to the ER

Did you not watch PRIDE FC? We saw all kinds of smaller dudes get savagely murdered by larger men.
I was specifically asking how there is some kind of magical significant difference between 235 lb LHWs like Rumble and Glover and 235-240 lb HWs like Werdum and Cain.

Back