why do people act like the first match between JDS and Cain V never happened

Anderson was a sizeable favorite.

not the point.

point is that history has shown us the first fight is hardly ever relevant to the rematch.

Something is constantly being overlooked, and maybe it's because people feel it hasn't been tested enough, but I feel it has:

JDS is the darkhorse of GOAT chins.

Not only has he taken flush shots from Crocop, Yvel, Carwin, Nelson, but he's barely winced at them. Not only has his chin been tested, but it's been tested at HEAVYWEIGHT. Where the laws of physics has you even more likely to get knocked out by a single punch. It's really bananas when you put it into that perspective.

You know the chin Silva is notorious for? Penn? Cote? Henderson? Well that same caliber of chin exists on the HW that is Junior Dos Santos. He runs circles around people standing, defends takedowns like a boss, and gets back up before you can blink if you do get him down. You take all that into consideration and it's the reason why he'll beat people like Overeem. Or anyone who wants to stand with him for that matter.

I will concede that wrestlers like Cain and Cormier potentially have his number. But they have to withstand bombs and be okay with their own bombs not doing shit in order for that to happen.

Don't bet the house on JDS. Cain definitely has a chance, and I hope their 2nd meeting is the war that should have been the first, but JDS is a safe bet. I'd put JDS ahead of Cain probably 7 out of 10 fights.

not the point.

point is that history has shown us the first fight is hardly ever relevant to the rematch.

Penn/GSP
Penn/Edgar
Edgar/Bendo
Edgar/Maynard
Franklin/Silva
Silva/Sonnen

..all looked pretty similar

''Point is that history has shown us the first fight isn't always relevant to the rematch''***

Penn/GSP
Penn/Edgar
Edgar/Bendo
Edgar/Maynard
Franklin/Silva
Silva/Sonnen

''Point is that history has shown us the first fight isn't always relevant to the rematch''***

penn/gsp rematch was similar? a tko is similar to a close decision?

edgar lost the first time, then a draw, then a knockout. not very similar at all.

regardless, we are splitting hairs here. we will just agree that the first fight does not guarantee the outcome of the rematch.

Cain is a monster, and he is a hard fight for anyone.

Yes he got KO'd in the first fight, and that could easily happen again. Thats the name of the game in MMA, and the HW division especially.

However thinking Cain has no shot against JDS would be silly. Even if he got KO'd quick again, id still give him a chance.

JDS can beat Cain with one punch. Cain can't.

That's the difference. Cain's only chances of winning are via wrestlef*cking for 5 rounds or getting a cut, but in those 5 rounds, JDS has a very good chance of connecting with one punch.

penn/gsp rematch was similar? a tko is similar to a close decision?

edgar lost the first time, then a draw, then a knockout. not very similar at all.

Penn was outworked by the better athlete in both GSP fights. You and I both know he was not TKO'd, so no need to play the semantics game in order to prove a point.
I did omit Edgar/Maynard I because it was four years ago, but if you can't say the second and third fights were similar, then you've done too much OT trolling to handle the heavies..

Jds was better last time, lets see who will be better in next fight. if jds wins then it wasnt a fluke.
cain in last fight was great, dominated bigfoot, now hes motivated and train hard for this one. i still give this fight 70/30 to jds, but it wont be so easy as jds.

but i wont be surprized if cain will win, imo hes great fighter. if jds only need 1 punch to win a fight then same think cain only needs 1 takedown to win this.

cant wait :)

JDS earned a great victory the first time, but even in total mismatches, it rarely ever goes that smooth.

Cain has also looked near unstoppable in every other fight of his career, and once he pressures guys pretty much at all, they've never fended him off.

I favor JDS here, but if Cain can back him against the cage in this fight, it could be a night and day difference from the first. If anyone disagrees and thinks he's going to KO him again in a minute 9 seconds, then you're more than welcome to feel that way.

Can he do it again?

I have no clue if he will or not, but it answered the question that he could. I was only replying to a comment that stated ''the first fight didn't answer anything''. My remark was mostly made in jest, as well.

I do believe he can, though. Although Cain recovers very well, he has been wobbled quite a few times by some heavy hitters. JDS has some of the fastest and most powerful punches at HW, so I would have to assume that it's possible, even if I did ''act like the first fight never happened''.

I'm definitely not banking on another flash KD early in the second fight. I think JDS will be on his back at some point, and I can't wait to see how he reacts to it.

Penn was outworked by the better athlete in both GSP fights. You and I both know he was not TKO'd, so no need to play the semantics game in order to prove a point.
I did omit Edgar/Maynard I because it was four years ago, but if you can't say the second and third fights were similar, then you've done too much OT trolling to handle the heavies..

how the hell was he not tko'd? the dude got mauled and couldnt get off of his stool to answer the bell. that is a tko stoppage.

I am still very interested in a rematch. Cain is a very well rounded guy and is the best fight out there for JDS, and poses a threat with his wrestling. If JDS blows through him again, then JDS is an all time great.

Penn/GSP
Penn/Edgar
Edgar/Bendo
Edgar/Maynard
Franklin/Silva
Silva/Sonnen

Penn/Edgar wasn't similar at all. Most people think BJ won the first fight, and Edgar outclassed him in the rematch.
Edgar/Maynard was very different all three times. Maynard wins. Draw. Frankie KO's him.
Edgar/Benson was similar in that it was close, but Edgar gave a much better showing.
Silva/Sonnen pretty much couldn't have been more different.

Then look at Shogun/Machida. Chuck/Couture. Brock/Mir. Shogun/Forrest. The tides all turned completely in those fights.

I really don't think the Kongo fight is very indicative of Cain's current striking skills. Cain is relatively young to the sport and thus is improving leaps and bounds between every fight.

I will be rooting hard for Cain but I have a feeling this fight will look a lot like Couture/Liddell III, where Cain will hang in there longer and probably score a couple takedowns but will eventually be put to sleep.

If you don't think Cain is gonna be gun shy about getting beat upside the head again by that sledgehammer, you're nuts. My guess is he's aggressve with his TD's and tentative if they don't come easily. JDS connects again, TKO.

Back