Why do Muay Thai fighters "wait their turn"?

If you don't believe in the ability of thai fighters, watch buakaw chew through the early K1 max.
Good picture of the whole MMA shtick... hero worship, imaging yur Mike Tyson in reincarnation.

MMA doesn't want content that conflicts with the $$$$making status quo. So intolerant of harmless comments, pulling yur leg a little bit.<NightKingBringIt>

you can also see people develop the bad habit of my turn your turn, which is also what is described by you. It should be my turn, my turn, optimally.

that foowork in MT will get your legs taken out

that headmovement in MT will get your head taken out

It's the philosophy of the style. Muay Thai has the concept of being hard physically, able to dish out severe physical punishment,,, and take it. See below.

I've noticed this, but I wouldn't call it, "composure." I'd call it Muay Thai composure. It's more like having the single minded determination to bang the palm tree until breaks... while demonstrating that you won't break from the same kind of striking fuselage.

Can't speak to the rules. Will definitely say there are / have been quite a number of outstanding Muay Thai demos here @ TSF.

OTOH, a most excellent example of Quote 1, is teeny, tiny, skinny Rose Namajunas putting the knockdown on Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Muay Thai, with 303-Trevor Whitman's boxing.<YayKpop>
Lol.

Good initial observation by TS. Then these trolls / autists turned the thread into shit.

Good picture of the whole MMA shtick... hero worship, imaging yur Mike Tyson in reincarnation.

MMA doesn't want content that conflicts with the $$$$making status quo. So intolerant of harmless comments, pulling yur leg a little bit.<NightKingBringIt>

You sound very familiar, I'm thinking you're an alt account yourself..........

<{1-10}>
Ya got plenty of talky, talky here. Why expect me to be like them?
<{1-10}>Why is it that MMA boards always set themselves up as THE judge, the like-minded. How many accounts do you have, anyhow?
<{1-1}>
Boring. Less boring that alt. account self talk, I presume.

Vice president 2020 next ,huh?<Kpop775>
<Aug3>
My boxing s*cks. I began to get into the foot work... that kind of thing is too boring for talky, talk.

<Kpop01>Don't let me stop the talky, talk.

Definitely something familiar about the way you reply..........

you can also see people develop the bad habit of my turn your turn, which is also what is described by you. It should be my turn, my turn, optimally.

that foowork in MT will get your legs taken out

that headmovement in MT will get your head taken out
A lot of amateur boxers take turns, this is one of the main differences between good pros and amateurs.

its more of a pissing contest they do same thing in the film blood sport when van damme fights paco towards the end with the body round house kicks

ahh muay thai.. the only striking style from asia that isnt weeby

A lot of amateur boxers take turns, this is one of the main differences between good pros and amateurs.
It’s a hard thing to get through their thick skulls- stop just circling and ramming into each other like elk in the rut and try to apply a little craft to your fighting.

it’s funny if you go and watch an amateur boxing event you’ll see a gymnasium full of kids all warming up and I swear to Christ I’ve never seen such clean, polished, dynamic shadow boxing and pad work. Then these little warriors step into the ring and it’s a full on game of rock’em sock’em robots

Scoring seems to have been watered down over the years. Now it's more a game of counting clean kicks, clinch/knee dominance and seeing who has the best poker face and doesn't get swept off their feet. Still amazing talents, just a different focus, less violent and less crowd pleasing.

Now it's I kick, you kick, i kick back, oh no it's the 4th round i better get in the clinch and score some high value knees to pull ahead on the cards.

In the past fighters who used all weapons, angles, fought backwards, were elusive, crafty and technically dominated their opponents could win and were respected

A lot of golden era fighters fought like that. There were just as many technicians as barbarians back then.

I feel like things like K-1/GLORY really put pressure on Muay Thai to take the IQ out of the art to survive with a few exceptions.

If there's anything that's pretty shitty and "shell up and wait your turn" it has to be K-1 and majority of Dutch kickboxing, not Muay Thai.

Scoring seems to have been watered down over the years. Now it's more a game of counting clean kicks, clinch/knee dominance and seeing who has the best poker face and doesn't get swept off their feet. Still amazing talents, just a different focus, less violent and less crowd pleasing.

Now it's I kick, you kick, i kick back, oh no it's the 4th round i better get in the clinch and score some high value knees to pull ahead on the cards.

In the past fighters who used all weapons, angles, fought backwards, were elusive, crafty and technically dominated their opponents could win and were respected

A lot of golden era fighters fought like that. There were just as many technicians as barbarians back then.

I feel like things like K-1/GLORY really put pressure on Muay Thai to take the IQ out of the art to survive with a few exceptions.

If there's anything that's pretty shitty and "shell up and wait your turn" it has to be K-1 and majority of Dutch kickboxing, not Muay Thai.

Yeah the whole "I shell up and block your 1-2-3-2-5 low kick then you shell up an block my 1-2-3-2-5 low kick" rinse and repeat for the whole fight is not better than "I kick you kick I kick you kick" rinse and repeat.

Golden age MT was the GOAT stand up art.

I think at a basic level a lot of it has to do with conditioning, most of these guys aren’t thinking “his turn” but rather pacing themselves to throw another combo.

And because being an effective counter striker is hard.

It’s a hard thing to get through their thick skulls- stop just circling and ramming into each other like elk in the rut and try to apply a little craft to your fighting.

it’s funny if you go and watch an amateur boxing event you’ll see a gymnasium full of kids all warming up and I swear to Christ I’ve never seen such clean, polished, dynamic shadow boxing and pad work. Then these little warriors step into the ring and it’s a full on game of rock’em sock’em robots
That's how it is with novice fighters, there's just not enough time to drill the absolute essentials in which is why when I see coaches going over long intrinsic combinations, I always scratch my head. It's like teaching a monkey advanced calculus, it has to be simple. 1 or 2 combinations at most, and the tools to keep a person protected. In nerd talk, I'd be giving them a shield and a machete. Too many try to give them nunchakus paired with a spear and it ends up being a disaster. 20 string Combinations where half of it is reacting off double bob & weaves do not go well.

Stress, nerves, anxiousness, it all affects upstairs significantly. Cognitive thinking is the first to go. Those who can keep it, are a rare minority or someone who has close to a decade of gym war experience. and is taking their first fight on paper against a 0-0 who never did competitive sports growing up and 1 yr of combat sports experience. Those who think they're special and unique to keep "high level thinking", are the first ones to go deer in headlights and end up shelling up in the corner for most of the fight.

I was trained that way, and I coach the same as well (when I do). Both sides having success by keeping it extremely simple (at that stage). Novices are trained differently than intermediates, and intermediates different from advanced; Where the experience and composure will leave room to think and formulate plans.

It's the philosophy of the style. Muay Thai has the concept of being hard physically, able to dish out severe physical punishment,,, and take it. See below.

I've noticed this, but I wouldn't call it, "composure." I'd call it Muay Thai composure. It's more like having the single minded determination to bang the palm tree until breaks... while demonstrating that you won't break from the same kind of striking fuselage.

Can't speak to the rules. Will definitely say there are / have been quite a number of outstanding Muay Thai demos here @ TSF.

OTOH, a most excellent example of Quote 1, is teeny, tiny, skinny Rose Namajunas putting the knockdown on Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Muay Thai, with 303-Trevor Whitman's boxing.<YayKpop>

1. I think you're half right, but i dont think there's really a philosophy about being able to take punishment, it's more being about being calm and relaxed overall. Muay Thai guys would rather not take punishment if they can avoid it, there's just a handful of fighters with big egos and not so good defense is all.

2. We're definitely NOT banging palm trees, you know how hard those are?

3. MMA is MMA, and Joanna is a european kickboxer not a Muay Thai stylist, not the greatest example

It's understandable though. I do understand where these impressions come from especially in the MMA-born-and-raised crowd. Chuteboxe always repped "Muay Thai" and were hyper aggressive fighters, Joe Rogan uses the word Muay Thai in reference to dutch kickboxers and fighters like Bas Rutten and trainers like Duane Ludwig/Duke Roufus (cringe). So i get it.

Maybe i sound like a snobby hipster elitist, but to me the true Muay Thai will always have a direct connection/lineage with Thai fighters/trainers and their direct students or anyone who has spent years training and/or fighting in Thailand.

Last edited:
1. I think you're half right, but i dont think there's really a philosophy about being able to take punishment, it's more being about being calm and relaxed overall. Muay Thai guys would rather not take punishment if they can avoid it, there's just a handful of fighters with big egos and not so good defense is all.

2. We're definitely NOT banging palm trees, you know how hard those are?

3. MMA is MMA, and Joanna is a european kickboxer not a Muay Thai stylist, not the greatest example

It's understandable though. I do understand where these impressions come from especially in the MMA-born-and-raised crowd. Chuteboxe always repped "Muay Thai" and were hyper aggressive fighters, Joe Rogan uses the word Muay Thai in reference to dutch kickboxers and fighters like Bas Rutten and trainers like Duane Ludwig/Duke Roufus (cringe). So i get it.

Maybe i sound like a snobby hipster elitist, but to me the true Muay Thai will always have a direct connection/lineage with Thai fighters/trainers and their direct students or anyone who has spent years training and/or fighting in Thailand.
Sounds like a Muay Thai idealist plug. Knowledgeable too.

On these issues... media MMA goes with it and then someone goes against it... continuing the discussion in an endless loop.
Muay Thai has great strengths & applicability in MMA, hope we can agree.<EdgyBrah>

one of my favorite fighters (inside and outside cage). would never want to 'wait my turn' if fighting him

ThornyYearlyBurro-size_restricted.gif
Most beautiful elbow ko ever. I mark out every time I see it.

Back