Why do Muay Thai fighters "wait their turn"?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of Liam Harrison and the such, and one thing I have noticed is that Thai fighters have a Rhythm. One fighter will throw a strike/combo, briefly pause then the other fighter does the same thing. Its completely different from say an outside boxer who goes in and out, but tries not to trade shots.

Its entertaining to watch, but it is like watching a video game. Doesnt seem so defensively sound compared to a tighter guard with footwork and head movement. Its more offensively based imo.

Why is this the case? Kind of similar in k-1 rules kickboxing too.

Part of it is the scoring, part of it is there's also a performance aspect to Muay Thai where fighters need to show strength, balance, and composure. There's been changes in the rules & scoring over the years so the modern game tends to favour fighters standing in front of each other trading strikes then tying up in the clinch for a reset. There's not as much extended clinch work or free-flowing sequences as there were in the past.

Also depends on which fighters you're watching... I don't know much about Liam but I suggest you take some time to watch some stadium fights from the top dogs, fimeu style

Like Sangmanee, Superlek, Nong-O, Saenchai

You'll see a lot of crafty footwork, disruption, feints, fakes, counter strikes, etc

Been watching a lot of Liam Harrison and the such, and one thing I have noticed is that Thai fighters have a Rhythm. One fighter will throw a strike/combo, briefly pause then the other fighter does the same thing. Its completely different from say an outside boxer who goes in and out, but tries not to trade shots.

Its entertaining to watch, but it is like watching a video game. Doesnt seem so defensively sound compared to a tighter guard with footwork and head movement. Its more offensively based imo.

Why is this the case?....
It's the philosophy of the style. Muay Thai has the concept of being hard physically, able to dish out severe physical punishment,,, and take it. See below.

Part of it is the scoring, part of it is there's also a performance aspect to Muay Thai where fighters need to show strength, balance, and composure.
I've noticed this, but I wouldn't call it, "composure." I'd call it Muay Thai composure. It's more like having the single minded determination to bang the palm tree until breaks... while demonstrating that you won't break from the same kind of striking fuselage.

There's been changes in the rules & scoring over the years so the modern game tends to favour fighters standing in front of each other trading strikes then tying up in the clinch for a reset. There's not as much extended clinch work or free-flowing sequences as there were in the past.
Can't speak to the rules. Will definitely say there are / have been quite a number of outstanding Muay Thai demos here @ TSF.

OTOH, a most excellent example of Quote 1, is teeny, tiny, skinny Rose Namajunas putting the knockdown on Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Muay Thai, with 303-Trevor Whitman's boxing.<YayKpop>

It's the philosophy of the style. Muay Thai has the concept of being hard physically, able to dish out severe physical punishment,,, and take it. See below.

I've noticed this, but I wouldn't call it, "composure." I'd call it Muay Thai composure. It's more like having the single minded determination to bang the palm tree until breaks... while demonstrating that you won't break from the same kind of striking fuselage.

Can't speak to the rules. Will definitely say there are / have been quite a number of outstanding Muay Thai demos here @ TSF.

OTOH, a most excellent example of Quote 1, is teeny, tiny, skinny Rose Namajunas putting the knockdown on Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Muay Thai, with 303-Trevor Whitman's boxing.<YayKpop>

Matt Brown has probably displayed more pure Muay Thai in the UFC than Joanna.

<Fedor23>

I notice this as well when I was training at Sinbi. But again that place was more of a touristy gym, so the level of skills wasn’t that high.

<Fedor23>
<This7>
Matt Brown pounding the heck outta Wonderboy... another fav fight of mine. Brown, another underappreciated UFC contributor.

Sounds like your talking about things you don't understand. This is on par with the clowns that say Thai fighters don't know how to punch (samart much).

The water in Thailand is dirty and that "destroys" the connection between your brain and gut, which makes you react slower.

<Fedor23>
one of my favorite fighters (inside and outside cage). would never want to 'wait my turn' if fighting him

ThornyYearlyBurro-size_restricted.gif

It's because they all pop a couple of Yaba before a fight......... Makes them real ting tong.......... Bang all night long ............

It's because they all pop a couple of Yaba before a fight......... Makes them real ting tong.......... Bang all night long ............
Your not wrong...... I just prefer a bong...... and slappin' 'em with my dong...... is that so very wrong.....

<Kpop775>
Right,,, MMA knows everything-troll.
Fuck you can be a nob biter at times. I'm just saying that you talk about muay thai like someone that doesn't understand what they are watching. Have you even watched decent Thai fighters. People have trouble admitting that thai's are the best standup fighters on the planet.
Also I'm more of a boxer than a mma fighter, I have boxed for twenty years and was state champ in TKD as a kid. Don't be such a tool all the time, you don't can boxing so much, now you have learnt a bit, don't do it with the thai's (who are fighting at a higher standard than modern boxing)

Sounds like your talking about things you don't understand. This is on par with the clowns that say Thai fighters don't know how to punch (samart much).
And chitachai(def spelling that wrong) but he was also a boxing champ only losing toP Pacquiao.... Or samart stay in the corner slipping shots then stepping toward and getting the knockout

Fuck you can be a nob biter at times.
<{1-10}>
Ya got plenty of talky, talky here. Why expect me to be like them?
I'm just saying that you talk about muay thai like someone that doesn't understand what they are watching.
<{1-10}>Why is it that MMA boards always set themselves up as THE judge, the like-minded. How many accounts do you have, anyhow?
Have you even watched decent Thai fighters. People have trouble admitting that thai's are the best standup fighters on the planet.
<{1-1}>
Boring. Less boring that alt. account self talk, I presume.
Also I'm more of a boxer than a mma fighter, I have boxed for twenty years and was state champ in TKD as a kid.
Vice president 2020 next ,huh?<Kpop775>
Don't be such a tool all the time, you don't can boxing so much, now you have learnt a bit, don't do it with the thai's (who are fighting at a higher standard than modern boxing)
<Aug3>
My boxing s*cks. I began to get into the foot work... that kind of thing is too boring for talky, talk.

<Kpop01>Don't let me stop the talky, talk.

Back