Why do MMA reporters use uncommon words when asking questions to foreign fighters?

Fiestar

Sean McCorkle
@purple
Reaction score
Ariel does that all the time. Now i was just watching an interview with Rustam Khabilov and a reporter asked him 'is it true that you had a violent skirmish with Bagautinov?' Rustam didn't understand that word and had to ask his translator, had the reporter used the word 'fight' instead of skirmish, Rustam would've understood. Are MMA reporters just not that bright? Isn't it common sense to use simple words when speaking to non-english speakers?

I suppose they feel the need to justify their education/degree etc.

Because MMA reporters are morons.

Look, I went to school for journalism. Sports journalists are always the biggest bozos in the major. And MMA journalists are an even lower form of bozo.

It doesn't have to be that way, but that's the situation we're in right now.

Cause they know it pisses you off.

I suppose they feel the need to justify their education/degree etc.

Somehow I find it funny that using a word like skirmish is meant to give of the connotation of being educated.

Its allways fascinating the reasons people bitch about

Ariel does that all the time. Now i was just watching an interview with Rustam Khabilov and a reporter asked him 'is it true that you had a violent skirmish with Bagautinov?' Rustam didn't understand that word and had to ask his translator, had the reporter used the word 'fight' instead of skirmish, Rustam would've understood. Are MMA reporters just not that bright? Isn't it common sense to use simple words when speaking to non-english speakers?

How did Rustam reply?

Because they're standing in front of a bunch of people with lights on them and sometimes the wrong words come out.

I've always noticed this, it's really annoying.

At the same time, I bet the foreigners do understand most of the time, much easier to understand complicated terms than to speakem

No, they are not bright. Seriously these interviewers and the people who get to ask questions are so annoying. I mean do they even prep for these events? Cringe worthy, almost as bad as watching Larry Merchant struggle through an interview.

I've always noticed this, it's really annoying.

At the same time, I bet the foreigners do understand most of the time, much easier to understand complicated terms than to speakem

I am not sure how many languages you use but obscure words are not easier to understand, even with context.

It's almost as if talking to someone who speaks a different language is a bit difficult... hmmm....

If a journalist speaks like this all the time, they might not realize they need to use words a little simpler or not so obscure.
But then again, if talking to someone who's language is not their own, use common words most would understand. I'm sure most of these fighters from other countries understand English very well.
My friend from Japan doesn't speak English very well, but it is good enough to communicate. Sometimes, she uses big words that most Americans don't use or can't even pronounce.

No, they are not bright. Seriously these interviewers and the people who get to ask questions are so annoying. I mean do they even prep for these events? Cringe worthy, almost as bad as watching Larry Merchant struggle through an interview.

How dare you insult the Jack of Daniels.

Call me crazy but it's probably because they have a translator right there for this exact reason.

Can't you figure out skirmish from the context? It wasn't a violent tea party.

Back