Why do many BJJ schools bother with sit ups?

miscend

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I swear there are too many BJJ instructors who make students do hundreds of sit ups every week during classes .

There are a lot of articles based on research showing that sit ups are not as effective as most other exercises such as planks in building strong core muscles. There are a waste of time.

Because having a BJJ blackbelt doesn't magically grant you a degree in kinesiology or exercise science. Or nutrition for that matter.

Because having a BJJ blackbelt doesn't magically grant you a degree in kinesiology or exercise science. Or nutrition for that matter.
Pretty much this.

I do agree though, crunches aren't that great (ab roller, hanging leg raises, and planks are better options)

It's a movement you'll be doing a lot when fighting from the bottom.

I guess my question to you is: if they replaced them with hundreds of a more efficient exercise would you be happy or complain about them too?

I ask this because I hear plenty of complaints about bjj warmups, when in fact they are 10x easier than the wrestling and Judo warmups I've done over the past 10 years.

I guess my question to you is: if they replaced them with hundreds of a more efficient exercise would you be happy or complain about them too?

I ask this because I hear plenty of complaints about bjj warmups, when in fact they are 10x easier than the wrestling and Judo warmups I've done over the past 10 years.
I think the question here is not the hardness but the utility/efectiveness

Obviously you've not trained in this tech.

9317%20-%20cm_punk%20gif%20undertaker%20wrestlemania%20wwe.gif

Its crazy. When I have someone in guard and I go for a kimura or hip bump I find myself doing more of a sit-up motion versus a plank. Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I would like to properly train my muscle memory and if I'm wasting my time then I should fix my technique. Thanks!

Its crazy. When I have someone in guard and I go for a kimura or hip bump I find myself doing more of a sit-up motion versus a plank. Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I would like to properly train my muscle memory and if I'm wasting my time then I should fix my technique. Thanks!
The factor limiting your guard attack is that you can't quite go for that 117th kimura in a match?

If it is sunny people will bitch that it's too hot. If its cloudy they will whine about not enough sun. If it doesn't rain they will complain that we are in a drought. If it rains they will moan about it being wet.

It's a warmup/conditioning exercise that will give you some physical benefit. Do it and shut up. If you are a S&C expert you can take your instructor to the side and show him more efficient things to do. If not do your preferred S&C stuff outside of class, but in class do what the team does. Or go start your own school.

Of course I would complain,. I don't have degree in kinesiology either.

I swear there are too many BJJ instructors who make students do hundreds of sit ups every week during classes .

There are a lot of articles based on research showing that sit ups are not as effective as most other exercises such as planks in building strong core muscles. There are a waste of time.

I look at warm-up as what they are... warm-ups.

situps as warmups are not a waste of time because they are better than nothing. I like crunches better than situps.

Now, for general fitness outside of bjj, sure, do planks, etc.

Just my opinion.

-T

A lot of people are stupid an when leading a class they don't really think why something is done, they just blindly repeat things they have seen somewhere else.

Most people are retards and don't have the emotional ability to improve as human beings and in what they do. Get used to it, it won't change any time soon.

A lot of people are stupid an when leading a class they don't really think why something is done, they just blindly repeat things they have seen somewhere else.

Sacasm? Could not tell.

Most people are retards and don't have the emotional ability to improve as human beings and in what they do. Get used to it, it won't change any time soon.

So, most instructors (most are black bets I believe) leading a class are "R" words?

-T

I always force my back way more than my abs doing sit ups.

I'm a brown belt in BJJ and have been training for competitions and teaching for a while. I also have Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and have interned in S & C clinics that work with top collegiate and professional athletes.

I think a reasonable amount of situps for a WARMUP is okay. I think an excessive amount of situps for CONDITIONING purposes is retarded.

With that being said, there are much better ways to warm up and more efficient and useful movements that situps and crunches to warm up. I personally never use them but if someone uses them a little as part of their warm up routine, I won't condemn them as being a retard or lazy

I don't bother with sit-ups in my warm-ups, but not because I dislike the exercise. The problem for me is that it isn't BJJ specific enough. Much better IMO to do something that works the same muscles, but is something you would actually do in BJJ. E.g., I get people to drill sit-up/hip bump sweeps instead.

Back