Why do lower middle class whites vote Republican?

A whole factory's worth of people who are dependent on him for their jobs. Always the most neutral group to poll, those who can't afford to piss you off because it might affect their career.

What a dickhead thing to say and 100% inaccurate as well. There’s nothing to that comment but resentment and spite

You'd think their own economic interests would be top priority for a group like that. For this question let's forget Trump and focus just on Dem/Repub parties.

In a strong economy, I understand that conservatives place a high value on independence and freedom from onerous regulation. Their sense of self reliance and entrepreneurship would thrive in such an environment.

But the economy is actually getting worse over time. And it's turning into an economy for highly skilled workers (tech, engineering, finance) exclusively; low skill well paying jobs are gone. And you have monopolies pretty much running the show (Amazon for one). Its a tough climate for opening your own business and/or surviving by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Even hard work is rewarded far less than it used to be.

These lower middle class whites could GREATLY benefit from a jobs bill and MORE benefits (healthcare for one) and public goods and antitrust regulation.

The Republican party is pretty honest about trying to get rid of benefits for workers and protections for them, i.e. it's their platform to do the opposite of what is needed to uplift this demographic economically. And Republicans are not against globalism and trade bills - that's an exclusively Trump phenomenon (if he's serious about it, which with Trump is doubtful).

Democrats are pretty much on the same page but they have to pretend to be for workers, so they're a less bad choice, technically. At the very least, they'll strip worker benefits and protections more slowly, and they're more likely to pass a jobs bill.

So what say you ? Why vote Republican if you're a lower middle class white? What part of Republican economic policy appeals to you?

I am very sympathetic to the argument that they are both horrible parties that are terrible for this lower middle class white demographic. In that case, I'd still be curious why you think Republican is a marginally better choice.

If you're a rich asshole feel free to participate but remember : I'm interested in getting to know how the poor whites are thinking on this, I don't want your personal opinion.

Also, let's keep this about economics for the most part. We all know socially why they vote Republican.

UPDATE: / EDIT:

Here's what I've gleaned from the answers in tl:dr format:

Dems and Repubs in practice aren't that different in the economic dimension (both in practice have failed to deliver anything that increased the prosperity of the middle class) so lower middle class whites instead vote Republican on the basis of social issues.

Immigration may undercut LMC earnings.

Benefits passed by Democrats have gone historically to the poor while lower middle class whites don't see a dime of benefits and see their taxes go up.

Republicans are probably slightly better for small business owners on regulation. (Though both parties honestly couldn't give a damn if the small guys get crushed in favor of the big companies, in my view).

LMC whites have fallen for corporate talking points on self-reliance, individualism, and aversion to "handouts". This is obviously propaganda since rich people have no such aversion to handouts for themselves.

So, it's a mix of social issues, some valid economic concerns, some misguided beliefs conditioned by propaganda.
Because they don't want to be impoverished whites.

Who do you think is impacted by illegal immigrants and cheap labor? Rich white people? @DivineMind

I forgot about all of those white people lining up to pick strawberries.

We had 3% unemployment at one point. Where are you going to find enough people to fill the void that illegal immigrants fill?

I would be considered in this bracket. I can only speak for myself, but my support has never been about helping my individual situation, it's about what is best for everyone and the country. I'm not American but I would for Trump over Biden.

I have no allegiance to Donald Trump, despite most left leaning posters under the impression that Trump supporters have some cult like obsession with him. I thought Andrew Yang was a great candidate that you guys should have chosen, and I like Yangs mindset. I would support a guy like Yang. However, you guys chose a senile Biden instead.

So, I'm considered a Trump supporter here because I like to point out the ridiculous hit pieces against him and the obfuscation of events he's involved in to portray the situation negatively, in pretty much everything he's involved in. At the same time, I would gladly vote for a guy like Yang if the democrats actually got behind him as the candidate.

Am I a Republican or a Democrat? I don't really consider myself either. I support good innovative ideas and people who don't make you feel like they're playing a role in a movie (Hilary). Am I a republican because I currently support Trump? What If I turned around and supported a democratic candidate next election cycle (hypothetically)? What does that make me?

I would be considered in this bracket. I can only speak for myself, but my support has never been about helping my individual situation, it's about what is best for everyone and the country. I'm not American but I would for Trump over Biden.

I have no allegiance to Donald Trump, despite most left leaning posters under the impression that Trump supporters have some cult like obsession with him. I thought Andrew Yang was a great candidate that you guys should have chosen, and I like Yangs mindset. I would support a guy like Yang. However, you guys chose a senile Biden instead.

So, I'm considered a Trump supporter here because I like to point out the ridiculous hit pieces against him and the obfuscation of events he's involved in to portray the situation negatively, in pretty much everything he's involved in. At the same time, I would gladly vote for a guy like Yang if the democrats actually got behind him as the candidate.

Am I a Republican or a Democrat? I don't really consider myself either. I support good innovative ideas and people who don't make you feel like they're playing a role in a movie (Hilary). Am I a republican because I currently support Trump? What If I turned around and supported a democratic candidate next election cycle (hypothetically)? What does that make me?

I am a democrat but anyone who can be perceived as chinese would not win the election. I think he was a good candidate with good ideas. I think more people would be comfortable with him if he had prior government experience. Not just for the chinese aspect but also to have a better idea of how government works and how to build and run coalitions. If you have ever worked in a large organization, there often is no shortage of good ideas but it is often very difficult to get them executed.

you're just inventing demographics to support some idea you have in your head. You couldn't even define lower middle class if you wanted to

I forgot about all of those white people lining up to pick strawberries.

We had 3% unemployment at one point. Where are you going to find enough people to fill the void that illegal immigrants fill?

Racist.
I don't know if we can have a discussion if you're going to start off by assuming every illegal immigrant is picking vegetables.

What a dickhead thing to say and 100% inaccurate as well. There’s nothing to that comment but resentment and spite
Neither resentment nor spite. It's just the reality. You've been an employer long enough to know that. Very few people will openly argue politics with their boss.

You're sitting around pointing to your staff as being largely in agreement with your political position, as if you're out there taking anonymous polls of their political position. I highly doubt that. I'd gamble money that you're referencing personal conversations and, in those conversations, you're still their boss. And in those circumstances, very few people are going to openly argue politics with their boss.

I also doubt that your employees are randomly approaching you to discuss politics so that you're getting a random cross section of your employee population. I have no doubt that the employees that you regularly speak to or that you have randomly discussed politics with have shown positive support for the same political positions that you support. There's just something naive in believing that employees will piss off the hand that feeds them by arguing politics in the workplace with the guy who signs their checks.

Like I said, you've been an employer long enough to know this. I've been an employer and a business attorney long enough to know this as well.

Racist.
I don't know if we can have a discussion if you're going to start off by assuming every illegal immigrant is picking vegetables.

Haha. I guess we can't if you are going to jump to the conclusion I said every illegal immigrant when I didn't. If you are just going to make stuff up this is going to be a pointless conversation.

Neither resentment nor spite. It's just the reality. You've been an employer long enough to know that. Very few people will openly argue politics with their boss.

You're sitting around pointing to your staff as being largely in agreement with your political position, as if you're out there taking anonymous polls of their political position. I highly doubt that. I'd gamble money that you're referencing personal conversations and, in those conversations, you're still their boss. And in those circumstances, very few people are going to openly argue politics with their boss.

I also doubt that your employees are randomly approaching you to discuss politics so that you're getting a random cross section of your employee population. I have no doubt that the employees that you regularly speak to or that you have randomly discussed politics with have shown positive support for the same political positions that you support. There's just something naive in believing that employees will piss off the hand that feeds them by arguing politics in the workplace with the guy who signs their checks.

Like I said, you've been an employer long enough to know this. I've been an employer and a business attorney long enough to know this as well.

SMH. You’re not paying any attention. The politics of our work force are well to the right of the entirety of factory management including my own but particularly right of the COO who does the hiring and firing. If they were remotely concerned with repercussions for their politics they’d be sporting Biden stickers on their bumpers. Your imaginings here are simply not a part of the culture of our company. Sorry but you’re flat out wrong.

SMH. You’re not paying any attention. The politics of our work force are well to the right of the entirety of factory management including my own but particularly right of the COO who does the hiring and firing. If they were remotely concerned with repercussions for their politics they’d be sporting Biden stickers on their bumpers. Your imaginings here are simply not a part of the culture of our company. Sorry but you’re flat out wrong.
Sure, ok.

I'm not in your factory so I can't speak to it. At this point, I'm more curious about how you conducted your anonymous polling to ensure a decent cross section of your employees were consulted. If you can share that information, what was the participation rate?

Sure, ok.

I'm not in your factory so I can't speak to it. At this point, I'm more curious about how you conducted your anonymous polling to ensure a decent cross section of your employees were consulted. If you can share that information, what was the participation rate?

I already explained that in a post above.

I already explained that in a post above.
No, you didn't. You referenced Biden bumper stickers and your COO's position. But you're also referencing your conversations.

You'd think their own economic interests would be top priority for a group like that. For this question let's forget Trump and focus just on Dem/Repub parties.

In a strong economy, I understand that conservatives place a high value on independence and freedom from onerous regulation. Their sense of self reliance and entrepreneurship would thrive in such an environment.

But the economy is actually getting worse over time. And it's turning into an economy for highly skilled workers (tech, engineering, finance) exclusively; low skill well paying jobs are gone. And you have monopolies pretty much running the show (Amazon for one). Its a tough climate for opening your own business and/or surviving by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Even hard work is rewarded far less than it used to be.

These lower middle class whites could GREATLY benefit from a jobs bill and MORE benefits (healthcare for one) and public goods and antitrust regulation.

The Republican party is pretty honest about trying to get rid of benefits for workers and protections for them, i.e. it's their platform to do the opposite of what is needed to uplift this demographic economically. And Republicans are not against globalism and trade bills - that's an exclusively Trump phenomenon (if he's serious about it, which with Trump is doubtful).

Democrats are pretty much on the same page but they have to pretend to be for workers, so they're a less bad choice, technically. At the very least, they'll strip worker benefits and protections more slowly, and they're more likely to pass a jobs bill.

So what say you ? Why vote Republican if you're a lower middle class white? What part of Republican economic policy appeals to you?

I am very sympathetic to the argument that they are both horrible parties that are terrible for this lower middle class white demographic. In that case, I'd still be curious why you think Republican is a marginally better choice.

If you're a rich asshole feel free to participate but remember : I'm interested in getting to know how the poor whites are thinking on this, I don't want your personal opinion.

Also, let's keep this about economics for the most part. We all know socially why they vote Republican.

UPDATE: / EDIT:

Here's what I've gleaned from the answers in tl:dr format:

Dems and Repubs in practice aren't that different in the economic dimension (both in practice have failed to deliver anything that increased the prosperity of the middle class) so lower middle class whites instead vote Republican on the basis of social issues.

Immigration may undercut LMC earnings.

Benefits passed by Democrats have gone historically to the poor while lower middle class whites don't see a dime of benefits and see their taxes go up.

Republicans are probably slightly better for small business owners on regulation. (Though both parties honestly couldn't give a damn if the small guys get crushed in favor of the big companies, in my view).

LMC whites have fallen for corporate talking points on self-reliance, individualism, and aversion to "handouts". This is obviously propaganda since rich people have no such aversion to handouts for themselves.

So, it's a mix of social issues, some valid economic concerns, some misguided beliefs conditioned by propaganda.

There are 2 pathologies driving this behavior.

1) The persons racism, sexism, and homophobia overpower all their other senses. This is not entirely their fault. Human brains were not designed to cope with the chemical deluge social media is dropping on them.

2) Stockholm Syndrome. They identify with their oppressor. There are millions upon millions of poor white trash knuckleheads out there advocating for lowering taxes- even though they don't pay income tax themselves, and are depositing welfare checks. But when they look in the mirror, they do not see a person that has been on welfare most of their life. They see a successful business person that is merely in a period of transition due to the God Damn illegal immigrants.

Last edited:
Prime example...

Californians pay almost double per gallon for gas than Texans.

This type of tax has minimal impact on Rich White Liberals.... but’s it’s devastating to lower income earners, especially blue collar workers who need to drive daily from job to job.

I’m more blown away that Cali residents actively vote these asshats into office.

As someone who lives in California I find this baffling as well. You would think that the failure of the high speed railroad and the fact that California is on fire due to their environment policies would make people open their eyes to how terrible the government and politicians are here in this state.

I think if Californians really want true change it's not gonna be a republican that leads the way. It's gonna have to be a centrist Democrat that has the ability to appeal to both conservatives and liberals in this state.

I'm not even going to read the thread before responding, but I'll read it in a second.

I'll still answer it.

Just look at what the democrats and their supporters look like.

If I were American and had a choice between democrat and democrat, I wouldn't vote.

As someone who lives in California I find this baffling as well. You would think that the failure of the high speed railroad and the fact that California is on fire due to their environment policies would make people open their eyes to how terrible the government and politicians are here in this state.

I think if Californians really want true change it's not gonna be a republican that leads the way. It's gonna have to be a centrist Democrat that has the ability to appeal to both conservatives and liberals in this state.

Left elites in Cali have grown so bold they believe they can pass any extreme tax or environmentalist policy because there's no chance of them getting voted out for it. They're blind to the damage being done in their communities and how they're slowly eroding the business machine that powers their GDP.

Their solution? Raise taxes... again. It's going to eventually hit a negative feedback loop where they won't be able to escape. It's such a gorgeous state with everything most people want in nature... beaches, mountains, etc.... It's seems to be only only thing holding it together.

I think there’s an income line between lower and lower middle class earners where government actions make a bigger difference than you might think. Someone making 40k a year might get nothing from the state, while being taxed significantly. Meanwhile, somebody on the government tit is living a near comparable lifestyle without the work. Note the high rate government support in deep red areas and the lower cost of living and average incomes. In those areas, cutting government benefits and lowering taxes puts a real gap between the two classes. Higher taxes and increased benefits all but erases it.

It’s not about whether the government helps them individually, it’s whether the government improved their station relative to some lesser than group that’s easily defineable.

This not accurate. A person making 40K per year, after exemptions and deductions, will pay little if any income tax. A family making 40K is almost certainly getting money from the government.

Lmao at naming yourself Divine Mind, and spitting out a pile of rubbish sentences with no dept and RANDOM capitalized words here and THERE to emphasize your POINT.

Almost as if your mind is shit tier and NOT divine.

Almost as if you received an average of SIXTY percent in high school and that made you feel your MIND was DIVINE.

WHEN will OPs learn that you can write entire PARAGRAPHS instead of just one sentence explanations on extremely complex issues before moving on to the next point?

Back