Why do lower middle class whites vote Republican?

DivineMind

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You'd think their own economic interests would be top priority for a group like that. For this question let's forget Trump and focus just on Dem/Repub parties.

In a strong economy, I understand that conservatives place a high value on independence and freedom from onerous regulation. Their sense of self reliance and entrepreneurship would thrive in such an environment.

But the economy is actually getting worse over time. And it's turning into an economy for highly skilled workers (tech, engineering, finance) exclusively; low skill well paying jobs are gone. And you have monopolies pretty much running the show (Amazon for one). Its a tough climate for opening your own business and/or surviving by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Even hard work is rewarded far less than it used to be.

These lower middle class whites could GREATLY benefit from a jobs bill and MORE benefits (healthcare for one) and public goods and antitrust regulation.

The Republican party is pretty honest about trying to get rid of benefits for workers and protections for them, i.e. it's their platform to do the opposite of what is needed to uplift this demographic economically. And Republicans are not against globalism and trade bills - that's an exclusively Trump phenomenon (if he's serious about it, which with Trump is doubtful).

Democrats are pretty much on the same page but they have to pretend to be for workers, so they're a less bad choice, technically. At the very least, they'll strip worker benefits and protections more slowly, and they're more likely to pass a jobs bill.

So what say you ? Why vote Republican if you're a lower middle class white? What part of Republican economic policy appeals to you?

I am very sympathetic to the argument that they are both horrible parties that are terrible for this lower middle class white demographic. In that case, I'd still be curious why you think Republican is a marginally better choice.

If you're a rich asshole feel free to participate but remember : I'm interested in getting to know how the poor whites are thinking on this, I don't want your personal opinion.

Also, let's keep this about economics for the most part. We all know socially why they vote Republican.

UPDATE: / EDIT:

Here's what I've gleaned from the answers in tl:dr format:

Dems and Repubs in practice aren't that different in the economic dimension (both in practice have failed to deliver anything that increased the prosperity of the middle class) so lower middle class whites instead vote Republican on the basis of social issues.

Immigration may undercut LMC earnings.

Benefits passed by Democrats have gone historically to the poor while lower middle class whites don't see a dime of benefits and see their taxes go up.

Republicans are probably slightly better for small business owners on regulation. (Though both parties honestly couldn't give a damn if the small guys get crushed in favor of the big companies, in my view).

LMC whites have fallen for corporate talking points on self-reliance, individualism, and aversion to "handouts". This is obviously propaganda since rich people have no such aversion to handouts for themselves.

So, it's a mix of social issues, some valid economic concerns, some misguided beliefs conditioned by propaganda.

Last edited:
Once LBJ signed the civil rights act in 1964 many of the lower class Whites switched over to the Republican side as an act of defiance towards the Democrats for appealing to Blacks. Most of the lower middle class Whites today vote out of the tradition because of the southern strategy, not because they like any of they’re economic plans which in fact do more harm to them than good. This should be common knowledge to you all by now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Last edited:
I think there’s an income line between lower and lower middle class earners where government actions make a bigger difference than you might think. Someone making 40k a year might get nothing from the state, while being taxed significantly. Meanwhile, somebody on the government tit is living a near comparable lifestyle without the work. Note the high rate government support in deep red areas and the lower cost of living and average incomes. In those areas, cutting government benefits and lowering taxes puts a real gap between the two classes. Higher taxes and increased benefits all but erases it.

It’s not about whether the government helps them individually, it’s whether the government improved their station relative to some lesser than group that’s easily defineable.

You can't really separate the 2 - social and economics. They vote republican because since the 1960s, the GOP has been claiming that greater diversity in the work place was going to come at the expense of their jobs.

It's paradoxical of course but it was the message. If you don't vote GOP, your boss is going to give your job to a black guy to meet a diversity quota. The absurdity is that then they turn around and say "Give tax breaks to the rich so that the wealth can trickle down." But if the working class white guy's job is going to some unqualified black guy then isn't that where the wealth would trickle down to? The black worker, not the white one.

But you can't expect the voting population to see how those 2 messages should contradict each other because they're never presented at the same time or space. One is fear-mongering, the other is selling a pipe dream. It's emotional manipulation. The working class voter keeps getting sucked in by it because his/her problems are real problems and he/she is looking for someone to tell them how to solve it.

Alright but if you read my original post, I acknowledge the social dimension and I'm trying to understand the economic dimension.

Most of them don’t really care about the Republicans economic plan because they will still vote for them out of a tradition (because they’re dad or granddad voted Republican) regardless of how harmful any laws the Republicans put forth are.

Because they are threatened by racial identity politics. It challenges me as well. I don’t want to do anything nice for people who contend that all white people are racist and evil, and this entitles them to be racially radicalized against them. There are awful smug white elite racists for sure, but these middle class white people like myself largely are not in any sense against blacks, poc or legal immigrants, but instead are the primary target of accusations of racism.

I think there’s an income line between lower and lower middle class earners where government actions make a bigger difference than you might think. Someone making 40k a year might get nothing from the state, while being taxed significantly. Meanwhile, somebody on the government tit is living a near comparable lifestyle without the work. Note the high rate government support in deep red areas and the lower cost of living and average incomes. In those areas, cutting government benefits and lowering taxes puts a real gap between the two classes. Higher taxes and increased benefits all but erases it.

It’s not about whether the government helps them individually, it’s whether the government improved their station relative to some lesser than group that’s easily defineable.

That's a great point. Historically lower middle class workers haven't seen many government benefits at all, they've all gone to the poor. So it's no surprise they would have been conditioned against government assistance programs.

But I will say that's no reason why they should be against programs that directly benefit their own income class.

That's a great point. Historically lower middle class workers haven't seen many government benefits at all, they've all gone to the poor. So it's no surprise they would have been conditioned against government assistance programs.

But I will say that's no reason why they should be against programs that directly benefit their own income class.

They feel the benefit more in terms of relative achievement when they get things that others don’t. So, level playing field on health care might actually give them better coverage and treatment, but it also means sharing the same local resources with the poor people they despise.

Why would you follow a party like the democrats where you don’t matter and your life didn’t matter.
Since when did american lives matter to republicans? Didn’t they find a paper passport in the ruins of a fire that melted steel belonging to a guy from Afghanistan and determine that that meant we need to go to war with Iraq? Isn’t bin laden a friend of the bush family? Aren’t they now denying monetary assistance to people out of work for over 6 months during a pandemic that they claim is largely a hoax while not allowing small businesses to operate at all or in only very limited capacities while Home Depot, liquor stores, Walmart and target are seemlessly unaffected essentially consolidating the economy to multinational corporations and interests?

You can't really separate the 2 - social and economics. They vote republican because since the 1960s, the GOP has been claiming that greater diversity in the work place was going to come at the expense of their jobs.

It's paradoxical of course but it was the message. If you don't vote GOP, your boss is going to give your job to a black guy to meet a diversity quota. The absurdity is that then they turn around and say "Give tax breaks to the rich so that the wealth can trickle down." But if the working class white guy's job is going to some unqualified black guy then isn't that where the wealth would trickle down to? The black worker, not the white one.

But you can't expect the voting population to see how those 2 messages should contradict each other because they're never presented at the same time or space. One is fear-mongering, the other is selling a pipe dream. It's emotional manipulation. The working class voter keeps getting sucked in by it because his/her problems are real problems and he/she is looking for someone to tell them how to solve it.

Right yea I get this, just wanted to know if there was something to the Republican economic agenda for middle class whites.

So far we've established that most of the time, most of the government benefits in the past have gone to the poor- the lower middle class whites get higher taxes and no benefits. Under a republican admin, at least they get lower taxes.

It's an interesting point.

I'm wondering whether benefits targeted TO the lower middle class would be enough to entice them away from the Republican party.

Back