Why do judges always pick sides these days ?

SirKratos

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If the round looks very close,just give it a 10-10 ffs

Its not like the MMA judges are good enough to determine who got the slight nod...They usually mess it up,so why not give 10-10 when unsure ? If the majority of the judges agree on 10-10 scores(very close rounds),the fight rightfully ends in a draw.

I mean very close fights should be declared draw anyway,regardless of which side was slightly better.

well draws always leave a bad taste. Like nothing really happens, nobody really won, so honestly i think a draw is worse than giving someone the edge in a close fight.

Because fans complain about draws. I don't kind draws, just reshuffle the matchups. I only care about thE CHAMP

The 10-point system is just bad for MMA. There isn't enough rounds so judges are afraid to award 10-10 or 10-8, and refs are afraid to deduct points.

well draws always leave a bad taste. Like nothing really happens, nobody really won, so honestly i think a draw is worse than giving someone the edge in a close fight.

Well IMO thats a terrible point of view.

Why can't both guys do a fantastic job inside the octagon but their hard work cancel each other out so the fight ends in a draw ?

I'd be in favour of 10-10s if there were more 10-8s.

In what other sports are draws so frowned upon? Non combat sports

It's like if a fight ends in a draw it pretty much doesn't count.
I mean, you talk about a fighters record, you say 17-2, nobody mentions the extra digits with the asterisk.

Any other sports like this?

Some sports the draws are classic games/matches

In what other sports are draws so frowned upon? Non combat sports

It's like if a fight ends in a draw it pretty much doesn't count.
I mean, you talk about a fighters record, you say 17-2, nobody mentions the extra digits with the asterisk.

Any other sports like this?

Some sports the draws are classic games/matches

NHL. Ties are part of the past.

Giving away 10-10's easily won't change anything. Maybe makes it worse. You're more comfortable coasting. 10-9 must means somebody is gonna win, and you better go take it.

Its not like the MMA judges are good enough to determine who got the slight nod...They usually mess it up,so why not give 10-10 when unsure ? If the majority of the judges agree on 10-10 scores(very close rounds),the fight rightfully ends in a draw.

I mean very close fights should be declared draw anyway,regardless of which side was slightly better.

I know judging will NEVER change, but they need to add more criteria at the end of the fight. Once fight is over, judges should reward 1 point to the guy that inflicted the most damage and 1 point to the guy who was the more aggressive fighter. That would solve a lot of the questionable decisions imo. Then if one guy only slightly better, declare a draw.

Sudden death.

I actually wouldn't be against this if done right in a 3 round fight

Judges don't score that way so it would rarely ever happen but I would be down for something like a 2-3 minute sudden death round

I've heard that judges, at least in CA, are told to not use 10-10s. "If you can't decide who won the round, you can't be a judge"

No, if one fighter was slightly better he deserves the win, imo. Draws are for situations where you can't say that either fighter was at least slightly better.

If you can say "Fighter X was slightly better" means that it's not a draw.

Because they literally can't. The rules state a winner of a round must get 10 points, and his opponent 9 or less. There are no 10-10 rounds allowed in mma

Picking a side is fine, it's just that "fuck it, I'll go with that guy by the width of a hair" counts as much as "that beatdown wasn't quite severe enough to be a 10-8".

MMA judging needs more granularity, both for judging and penalties.

Start awarding rounds all the way down to 10-6, start giving out 10-9.5/8.5s, or just a completely new system. I don't give a fuck, just give them more options when scoring.

The simple answer is that its called the 10 point MUST system. The word MUST is interpreted in MMA that there MUST be a winner in each round, with the winner awarded 10 points and the loser 9 points or less. They can award a 10-10 round but in MMA with only 3 or 5 rounds it makes it highly likely that there is a draw and in prizefighting that is not a desirable outcome. I would like to see them adopt the TUF style "Sudden Victory" when there is a draw and for judges to be a little more liberal in issuing 10-10 rounds for razor thin rounds.

Imagine how exciting Shogun vs Machida 1 would have been going to the 6th round.
Gray Maynard vs Frankie Edgar 2
Frankie Benson 1 & 2
Hunt vs Bigfoot
etc

The most widely used scoring system since the mid-twentieth century is the "10-point must system", so named because a judge "must" award ten points to at least one fighter each round (before deductions for fouls).

NHL. Ties are part of the past.

Giving away 10-10's easily won't change anything. Maybe makes it worse. You're more comfortable coasting. 10-9 must means somebody is gonna win, and you better go take it.

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesnt typically happen, which is the cause for the thread.

If there were more 10-10s handled out, there would be alot more draws. Like kissing your 1st cousins.

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesnt typically happen, which is the cause for the thread.

Exactly. You think taking the incentive away is going to help the situation?

I agree. IMO this is the single biggest problem with the judging in MMA. They almost never hand out a 10-10 round, therefore they "pick" the winner of a round, or multiple rounds, using basically bias. If the round is razor thin and you really don't know who won, just score it a draw. A guy should only win a round if he actually WINS a round. If it's even, it should be called even.

Back