1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Why do I pop my pec doing flat & decline presses, but never incline???

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by IkkussSpikkuss, Jul 28, 2010.

1. IkkussSpikkuss

IkkussSpikkuss Amateur Fighter

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to why my pec pops (pulls, strains, tears) when I'm doing flat and decline presses, but never incline???

Over the last 4 years I've strained, pulled or partially torn my left pec 4 times and strained my right pec twice. Its been hell. But I only injur it doing flat or decline dumbell or barbell presses, I have never even gotten close to injuring it doing incline dumbell or barbell?

Its not a form or warm-up problem, trust me. I have spot on form and warm up forever. Its gotten so bad that I almost only do incline presses now. My incline working weights are about the same as my flat and decline weights now because my upper chest has grown so much.

So is it just gentically weak middle and lower pec tie-ins? Is it easier for all people to pop a pec doing flat and decline work and I am just getting older so I'm getting injured more and its normal if you lift hard? I understand I may be contributing to the problem by not giving te injuries enough time to heal as I usually like to get back into the gym training (kickboxing and BJJ) asap, but I do do my best to give the injuries a good amount of time to heal. What do you think?

Any info or injury avoiding suggestions would be really appreciated. Its gotten so bad that I can feel the guitar strings getting tuned when I do simple pushups sometimes. Its bad. Thanks.

2. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

If you've strained/pulled/partially torn that many times, why in the world would you continue to bench in that manner?

3. zx

zx adventurer

Do you bench press barebell or dumbbels?

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Since this is a serious and ongoing issue, seeing a physiotherapist or a doctor of sports medicine would be a good idea.

5. 89vision

89vision White Belt

You've strained your pec 4 times in 4 years and you think your form is perfect? Does that mean bench pressing is bad for humans, or you suck at benching? Hmmm.... Though it is possible that you do have some physical issue, just unlikely because incline pressing is no problem. Do you overhead press?
    Here is the Dave Tate benching thread, read all of it. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/bench-press-series-dave-tate-updated-1270595/ Posting a form video and a detailed honest routine will get you alot more help.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

This. I know we have a few real experts on Sherdog, but it's still better to see a sports doc for something like this.

7. IkkussSpikkuss

I have changed the way I bench many times. And I've changed the way I lift (pretty much only do incline work now). I don't know what to do.

8. IkkussSpikkuss

I press both barbell and/or bumbell. I switch it up from time to time to keep the workout fresh.

9. IkkussSpikkuss

I've seen and spoken with my sports doctor and my chiropractor. They say I have developed some pretty serious tendonitis (sp?) and its just age. They also say that my height makes leverage an issue with movements like benchpress, making it a tough excecise for me and something I should steer clear of as I get older. The chiropractor tells me to stop lifting all together (not an option) and the doc says I need to basically lift baby weights at high reps from now on. I don't like either response. Getting old is a bitch.

10. IkkussSpikkuss

LOL...my form is solid bro. Slow and smooth with full range of motion after a long stretching and warm-up ruitine. Sometimes things like this just happen to us when we get older. You can suck at benching? Really? LOL. In any case, I have seen my doctor, I've gotten therapy, I'm lifting and eating right and still its bothering me. So I figured I'd make a thread here and see what you guys think. Thanks.

I will admit my form and warmup was shit-balls when I was young and dumb. But when you hardly ever get injured and bounce right back when you do get injured, its hard to think of the future. I wish I had. I'm sure my current problems stem from the pounding my muscles, joints and tendons have endured during my youth.

11. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

So what's the problem?

I can't bench for shit either, so I just don't do it. Do you need a strong bench for whatever reason? I don't, so I'd rather do OH press.

12. IkkussSpikkuss

I actually can bench a decent weight for reps. I also love the excercise, consider it one of my favorites. And I love the pump I get from it. I honestly just don't want to give it up.

13. YetiFeet

YetiFeet Guest

You need to post a video of your bench press. You claim that your form is solid but we can't help you determine if that's true unless you post a video. You may think that your form is all good but you'd be a fool not to post a video so that you can be sure.

You claim to love the bench press so you should do everything you can to make it safe for you to do... post a video and with our collective knowledge we can maybe help.

14. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Yeah, I'd think that solid form would remove some of the load from your pecs, so I can't stop imagining you with the bar at throat level and your elbows at 90 degrees to your body.

15. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

Sounds like you formed scar tissue from your first couple of injuries which made you more prone to reinjury thereafter. I would google scar tissue as it will give you hundreds of leads to look through. Generally a good idea is to focus on massage, stretching, and if you prefer alternative treatments like acupuncture or cupping therapy.

16. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Would SMR help in that regard?

17. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Its all about the pump brah!!

18. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Slow... so you bench slow on purpose because?
    and yes you can suck at benching which im guessing you do.

Edit: You sound like one of them guys who thinks they no it all when infact they dont no shit.

19. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

Yes it would. This fits in under massage.

20. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

What's your bench pressing frequency/volume like?

You can get away with benching once a week or even once every two weeks in your routine without significant strength loss, most likely. This would allow for a lot more recovery time.