Why do fighters run so early in the morning?

El-Supremo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WHEN FIGHTERS Do their long distance running, why do they do it so early in the morning? e.g 5-6am?

I understand that if you do it on an empty stomach your body uses it fat stores as fuel, but It will do this if you get up at 8am, and are out running for 8.30am

Is it to do with mental toughness getting out of bed so early? or is it lack of traffic? or another reason?

you ever consider that they may have other things to do with their day? Family, job, other training...

early in the morning will get your metabolism going early in the morning and I think that Urban raises a great point as well.

Usually it is because the earlier that they get up and get their running done, the more time they are allowing their body to recover and repair itself for their evening trip to the gym. For example, if you get up at 6am to run, then have to be in the boxing gym by 6pm, you're giving yourself 12 hours to recover and "get your legs back" from that run. You don't have to worry about having no legs during sparring. If you show up at the gym fatigued, it will be hard to learn new skills and infact you may learn bad habbits (i.e. dropping your hands because you're tired, remaining stationary after punching because your legs are shot, etc).

Not to mention it gives you a new bit of motivation knowing you're up at the break of dawn busting your ass while the rest of the world is still asleep.

discipline and getting it out of the way

The time of the day when you train doesn't matter. if you decide to wake at 5am and workout or if you sleep til 1pm and then go workout, will yeild the all the same results.

Speeds up the matabloism for the rest of the day. Get it out of the way early. Let your power recover for later.

And while some logic might dictate a guy with gets up at 10am has plenty of time left in the day and just as many hours to train if he's just a night owl, the world has shown otherwise. It's like I agree with Rockstar that it's possible, time doesn't matter. The discipline point of JTRipper also comes into play. So many of the world's best at anything are waking with the roosters.

^^^^^^^All that and plus there's less people out,so you don't have to dodge people,worry about assholes bugging you because your exercising and you can focus.

Sometimes I get up at 3:45am to run, and that's because I run before I go to work sometimes. Also, it's a lot cooler that early.

majmun said:
Sometimes I get up at 3:45am to run, and that's because I run before I go to work sometimes. Also, it's a lot cooler that early.

I was about to say the same thing. In the summer, running early will let you get exhausted from running not from the heat.

Heat is why I run early. If I run too late, I can't get to sleep. I can throw a baseball out my back door and hit the Mojave desert so running past 9am is like running in a fuckin hair dryer. It's either run early or hit the treadmill and I hate hampster wheels.

Not all of them run early in the morning. Ricky Hatton does his roadwork at 7pm. Like the others said, many fighters do it to get it done before other training.

bacon said:
Heat is why I run early. If I run too late, I can't get to sleep. I can throw a baseball out my back door and hit the Mojave desert so running past 9am is like running in a fuckin hair dryer. It's either run early or hit the treadmill and I hate hampster wheels.

you live in the mojave too?

Rosamond "Home of the fat girl" California.

Tito Ortiz said he gets up at 1:00 P.M. Then he drinks something because it's easier on his stomache then runs. Now how true this is I have no idea. He said he gets up so late because he want's to be at his peak performance at 9:30 because thats when he fights.

Fighter4Life88 said:
Tito Ortiz said he gets up at 1:00 P.M. Then he drinks something because it's easier on his stomache then runs. Now how true this is I have no idea. He said he gets up so late because he want's to be at his peak performance at 9:30 because thats when he fights.

Matt Hughes also says he does his heavy sparing and rolling around that time as his fight draws closer so his body is ready at that time frame when the fight comes around.

yeah i always wondered about that when im watching a live pay-per-view at 11pm. always seemed weird to me that they require their fighters to fight so late at night, but apparently you just have to work your sleep schedule around it.

Rich Franklin said on that All-Access show that he doesn't like to wake up to an alarm clock, and he just gets out of bed whenever his body wants to.

I used to run first thing in the morning, but now that I'm 35 and riddled with aches and pains from old injuries and general wear and tear, I find I have a better run later in the day because I need time to really loosen up and get my game on.

Back