why do fighters retire without a loss?

mposhtkouhi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im not asking this like fighters Like Khabib or any other well known undefeated fighter. Im asking about fighters who are like 3-0 4-0 shit like that? like I wonder if they possibly regret it later on Like dam I could of been the best and shit like that.

Maybe they decided getting punched in the face for a living isn't the way to go. They could be shying away from harder competition.

Makes me wonder who the biggest mental midgets are. Alot of fighters seem to hold themselves back due to psychological reasons. A few come to mind Kevin Lee, Luke Rockhold, Cody Garbrandt. Pettis and Cowboy probably deserve a meantion too, who do you think?

Injuries, other opportunities, regional fighters barely get paid anything. It's unusual in the UFC to see guys just drop out whilst undefeated or on career-streaks, though it does happen in instances like TJ Grant (Concussions), and Chris Holdsworth (Also concussions). Visas can also be a big thing.

Like towards the bottom end of the regionals you're getting paid a couple hundred to show up and win, you haven't really beaten anybody that's demonstrative you can get to the UFC and make real income, and you might have an opportunity for a medium-paying job that's just a better bet.

Phillip Miller retired at 16-0, including 2-0 in the UFC. Why? There was very little money in the MMA back then. Even after winning his first 2 fights in the UFC, Zuffa low-balled him with $4k to show and $4k to win in a potential fight against Phil Baroni, who would have been receiving $40k for each.

Being a cop was a far more lucrative, stable career.

As for guys with only a few victories, many have no intentions of being full-time fighters, which is a very difficult, tough career, with severe uncertainty, as one might go long periods of times between fights, losses hurt your earning potential, etc.

And just because they're undefeated doesn't mean they're not getting their asses kicked by a guy/girl in their gym which indicates to them what their true level is.

Back