Why do fighters have such huge lats - and how do they get them?

halo.gif

Nothing pisses me off more then places that carry Pepsi products instead of coca cola, i refuse to replace sprite with sierra mist

Green River, Weinhards Rootbeer and Dr. Pepper in glass bottles but between Coke and Pepsi it's Coke all day brutha!

Burger King over McDonalds but I'm also down with the Arctic Circle and Burgerville USA cause they gots da secret sauce.

UPS over FedEx but only because I've got friends and family who work for them.

And it's a tie between Quizno's Honey Bourbon Chicken and Subway's Spicy Italian.

For building bigger, stronger lats I'd go with old school style t-bar rows, pull-ups with weights attached to a dip belt, bent over (torso parallel to the ground) barbell rows using regular and reverse grip and deadlifts in addition to (for mma athletes) good ol' grappling.

Sean surely there has to be some other mystical method to developing lats?...you know one that leads you on a journey of self-discovery...it cant be this easy....stop toying with me like this...

I'm going to try to throw out a serious answer, so maybe this thread can die. Why are lats important?

#1, Punching power relies on transferring force and momentum from the ground through your body and into your target, and the powerful muscles of your upper back are vital to this process: they're part of the "chain" of force transfer.

#2, Even if you were just throwing "arm punches" without good technique, muscle antagonists are necessary for power...your body generally doesn't "let" you throw a punch so hard that you can't stop it, as this would cause injury, so the strength of "pulling" muscles affects striking power.

#3, The most obvious reason, grappling requires pulling muscles more than pushing. Breaking your opponent's posture, throwing them, or holding an armbar are good examples of lats being used.

rowan stop it....you know damn well that lats are for having your shirt drape over your body just right.....as well as for spotting your 'partner' while he bench presses all on his own...

Sean surely there has to be some other mystical method to developing lats?...you know one that leads you on a journey of self-discovery...it cant be this easy....stop toying with me like this...

Well................I'll deny it if I'm hauled into court but I didn't make my crazee lat gains until I switched from regular Captain Crunch to Captain Crunch Berries. So, thankfully the California State Athletic Commission doesn't test for the berries.

You and the Captain make it happen,
Sean
Hardcore Powerlifting

Well................I'll deny it if I'm hauled into court but I didn't make my crazee lat gains until I switched from regular Captain Crunch to Captain Crunch Berries. So, thankfully the California State Athletic Commission doesn't test for the berries.

Sean
Hardcore Powerlifting

That was awesome

Sean
Hardcore Powerlifting

I know you've made solid posts before, but with this, let me say, welcome to essenpee. Awesome.

magic, nice joke.

zop, they have tacos at BK?

lol, looks like he went to the "Forbidden Topics" thread and modified the example.

I know you've made solid posts before, but with this, let me say, welcome to essenpee. Awesome.

magic, nice joke.

zop, they have tacos at BK?

Yeah 2 for a dollar. They top of the tacos are completely enclosed. I think they are definitely on the short list for handy driving foods.

Oh, and:

Blake, I love that pic.

Wendys or Arby's > McD or BK

DHL > Fedex/UPS

Subway

Indians > Yankees

German Shepherd > Chihuahua

Back