Why do fighters get to turn down opponents?

This is a fantastic point. There are quite a few people, myself included, who think DC may be a harder fight for Jones than a rematch with Gus. But either way, it's not as if Jones is exactly asking for a cushy matchup.

It's an easier fight for Jones now, Cormier is still developing, Jones can beat him now, might not be able to in a year or 2.
Gus has his number and nullifies the height and reach advantage Jones has over most of his opponents. Gus could beat Jones right now, Cormier I don't think can....

I understand a fighter saying: "I only just fought, I'm not ready to fight again etc" but for a guy to blatantly say "No, I'm not fighting him" or something along those lines seems pretty odd to me. I thought they should just fight whoever is put in front of them.

Jones just said he doesn't want to fight Gus and prefers DC. What is it with this? Why is it allowed?

That's because you don't have any experience managing a career. You have probably been a follower all of your life.

They are prize fighters. They need to maximize their career earnings before they are irrelevant. Short window, window is short. No one is going to be looking out for them other then themselves.

Jones is ducking Gus, plain and simple. What reason would that be for other than the fact that he fears losing? If you doubt this then I suggest you rewatch that fight again, and take a look deep into Jones eyes after each round and tell me he wasn't scared of losing that fight to Gustafsson. He barely won that fight and it was out of desperation. Not only that but look at all the crap Jones said in the months past about 'DC and Gus should just fight each other' that is master level ducking shit right there.

Jones felt the power of the Mauler and knows Gustafsson has the tools to beat him. If he DIDN'T fear Gus then why doesn't he just take the fight and beat him again for an easy pay day? That would give DC time to get a quality win in the UFC, build up his rivalry with Jones, and actually earn a title shot instead of just getting handed one for beating up an old middleweight who is 1-4 in his last 5. Jon picking DC is both fear, and overconfidence on his own behalf as he has yet to taste what Cormier has to offer. Whenever the rematch finally goes down (assuming Jones gets past DC) Gustafsson will be ready to Maul once again and claim his belt.
article-2487305-1930C74300000578-443_634x415.jpg

is there any proof of this? or just dana saying it

because theres proof that jones is renegotiating his contract

dana is not above saying jones is ducking in order to get him to sign

This type of behavior should be expected of Jones by now. Never forget UFC 151. IMO hand picking of opponents shouldn't be allowed he should have no choice in who he faces, especially for the amount he is getting paid. and I agree, if Jones doesn't want Gus, Dana needs to step up and say "have a nice vacation call us when you are serious about being a fighter, in the meantime - DC vs Gus for Interim LHW title." (Actually not a bad idea at all DC.) Instead of letting one of his fighters try to run the business for him.

Jones trying to write off Gus is 2 things: Fear of losing, and refusal to accept that Gustafsson is a proven opponent and almost beat him. Gus was the first man to take him down, he broke Jones' will and sent the champ out on a stretcher, let's not forget that as well. Gus probably hit Jones harder than he had been hit his entire life and it was a serious wake up call for him.

he didnt duck anyone, he fought sonnen later and annihilated sonnen in a round

it was a bait and switch by team quest, hendo hid his injury until 8 days before the fight so that when he pulled out, his teammate sonnen was the only person who would take the fight on that notice

and jones won the situation because he got to coach TUF against sonnen, if he took the fight at 151, he wouldnt get to :rolleyes:

is there any proof of this? or just dana saying it

because theres proof that jones is renegotiating his contract

dana is not above saying jones is ducking in order to get him to sign

Nope just Dana. No one can even be sure when Jones is going to fight again, yet alone who it will be.

Anyone else remember when Dana and shertards were 100% sure Silva was ducking Sonnen? I remember how that went and really hope to see the shertards get owned yet again. Oh there were so many Silva ducking Sonnen threads and Sonnen call outs. It really is just too similar

This is a fantastic point. There are quite a few people, myself included, who think DC may be a harder fight for Jones than a rematch with Gus. But either way, it's not as if Jones is exactly asking for a cushy matchup.

I think it's a great or moot point, depending on what kind of problem somebody has with this. Allowing champions to pick their challengers is taking a pretty great thing about MMA and throwing it out the window. If somebody has an issue with this because they think Jones is afraid, then I suppose it matters who he picks instead. If the issue is with the act itself, the new opponent is pretty irrelevant.

You can't force someone to fight you can only make him sorry he didn't accept the fight. Champs like Jon Jones have far more leverage than your average fighter. So basically all UFC can do with Jones is what they are doing. Make it public and try to shame Jones into taking the fight.

cos this isnt japan?

Nope just Dana. No one can even be sure when Jones is going to fight again, yet alone who it will be.

Anyone else remember when Dana and shertards were 100% sure Silva was ducking Sonnen? I remember how that went and really hope to see the shertards get owned yet again. Oh there were so many Silva ducking Sonnen threads and Sonnen call outs. It really is just too similar

Called it

Back