Why do fans in other sports refer to their team as us and we?

'Suga Daddy'

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have a bunch of friends that do this and I find it kind of annoying. Its the stupidest thing. Don't get me wrong I like other sports apart from MMA, I am both a Giants and a Celtics fan. But what I don't get is why people feel the need to say stuff like "Yeah we did really badly on the weekend", Or "Did you hear about the new player we signed". Can someone explain to me why this is a thing in other sports.

MMA fans are not any different as they celebrate the victories of their favorite fighters as they were in the cage themselves.

It's the collective "we" without fans there is no team.

Yeah I celebrate when the Giants, Celtics or one of my favourite mma fighters win but when people say we did really well on the weekend thats just stupid cause if Rashad Evans wins I don't say I won on the weekend

Fuck you TS, you're with "them"... just kidding...or am I?..

Because I am a member of the club I support. I pay for my membership. That makes me a part of the whole club. And even those who are not a member are allowed to say 'we' as long as they are supporting the club.

With football in England, you can find the answer in the roots of the game.

Back in the day, all talent for a team would come from the local area. Fans too. Hence, "we" just like people say"we" won a war, when their country bombs some mudhuts

I have a bunch of friends that do this and I find it kind of annoying. Its the stupidest thing. Don't get me wrong I like other sports apart from MMA, I am both a Giants and a Celtics fan. But what I don't get is why people feel the need to say stuff like "Yeah we did really badly on the weekend", Or "Did you hear about the new player we signed". Can someone explain to me why this is a thing in other sports.
I guess it's ok if its ur local team or ur country's team. However, when u r not connected at all it becomes a douche bullshit. Like when barcelona vs madrid happens everyone around the world is like "yo dude we're gonna fuck u up tommorow". It might be fun, to each there own, but it's still stupid.

I can only speak for my soccer club Schalke 04. It's a registered club that's a certain form of German club regulation they are not franchises like in the US owned by someone or a group of investors.
Members vote on the president and board members once a year or every two years for example. I am member for over 2 decades.
The club is owned by its members and the members can influence decision, its not a US style franchise or premier league club that can be sold or be an investment.
Its only their for its members.

That being said it doesn't really matter who place for my club right now. Those are just people temporary working for Schalke. If they do extremely well maybe they make it into the history books but that would be a long way. And next season we will have new players but Schalke in itself will always be carried by its members the current employer don't matter that much.

Since fans of most teams (at least football in Europe) consider themselves an important part of the team. They travel alongside, fight for their team, support them during matches and to some it kinda feels like belonging to a gang or something.

That said it is kinda ridiculous imo.. In most cases something for people in search of identity. :)

It's annoying cos people are supporting just random teams. You are supposed to cheer for your hometown team. Not for Giants and Celtics. Pick one. The one your from. And then calling it "we" or "us" makes sense. That's why Conor is so big cause he represents where he is coming from. And calls other fighters journeymen cause they switch teams and shit. He called out Dos Anjos for not having home in Brazil and stuff like that. People like it when you recognize where your from and represent it. It's not where u at it's where u from

It's tribal mentality and it's the result of propaganda. People say "we" when referring to sports teams and "they" when referring to City Hall or the state in general. It's meant to keep people from taking control over their own lives.

Both a Giants and a Celtics fan? Does not compute.

TS sounds like one of those dudes that's a fan of a team from a city he's never stepped foot in. Kind of makes sense on why he would make this thread.

Since fans of most teams (at least football in Europe) consider themselves an important part of the team. They travel alongside, fight for their team, support them during matches and to some it kinda feels like belonging to a gang or something.

That said it is kinda ridiculous imo.. In most cases something for people in search of identity. :)
Or search for community. Go check out Sparta's game, maybe you'll find it fun

Because corporations are really smart.

Because I am a member of the club I support. I pay for my membership. That makes me a part of the whole club. And even those who are not a member are allowed to say 'we' as long as they are supporting the club.

Stop living through others

This explains it. I would never use the term in MMA but if you are financially supporting the club and are a member, I have no problem with using the terms 'we and us'

Or search for community. Go check out Sparta's game, maybe you'll find it fun

Did you just google a Rotterdam football club or what? Sparta is not my club my friend ;)

And yes i like a good game of football, i just don't like to become part of a ganglike structure.

Both a Giants and a Celtics fan? Does not compute.

TS sounds like one of those dudes that's a fan of a team from a city he's never stepped foot in. Kind of makes sense on why he would make this thread.
Born in Boston lived there for half my life my dad loves basketball. We now live in NY and I go for the Giants I don't get what the big deal is

Back