Why do Doctors and Refs even bother asking Questions

Apollo33

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
After the third round Herb and the Doctor kept asking Ortega questions, Ortega was so concussed/blinded he couldn't answer any of them and was mumbling nonsense.

Herb was holding up his fingers and it was clear Ortega couldn't see out of one eye. At the end Herb just held up one finger to his eye ball and Ortega was like "uhh 1 or 2" and they went on to let him fight anyway.

I thought they are suppose to be there to protect the fighters

Does seem like they never make the call to waive it off unless the fighters asks them to. I've seen somewhere I was sure the doctor would call it like in Saturday's fight, but they never do. I guess it's a respectable way for a fighter to throw the towel in at least.

Ortega has that Mexican heart, he wasn’t gonna quit, was stoked the dr didn’t stop it and let him bang. Was a foty contender.

To make it look like they are doing their part for fighter safety

I agree with TS. Ortega had no idea what was going on but they kept up the charade that they legitimately care about the fighters health…

It’s pretty obvious they wanted to give Ortega every opportunity possible to win. He is part of the cash cow that the UFC wants to hold gold.

herb was there as per usual to help and aid and by time whenever possible. Dude is the worst.

After the third round Herb and the Doctor kept asking Ortega questions, Ortega was so concussed/blinded he couldn't answer any of them and was mumbling nonsense.

Herb was holding up his fingers and it was clear Ortega couldn't see out of one eye. At the end Herb just held up one finger to his eye ball and Ortega was like "uhh 1 or 2" and they went on to let him fight anyway.

I thought they are suppose to be there to protect the fighters
Exactly, I thought the same thing. It was clear Ortega couldn't see and was merely guessing and they let it go

its for legal reasons.

if you can't see or intelligently defend, its the UFCs obligation to save the fighter from further harm.

i think ortegas corner shouted "one" to him and Herb just acted like he didn't hear it.

just watched it again, Ortega said "One, two" which clearly shows that he couldn't even count fingers. They let him fight anyway lmao what a joke.
There are reasons why MMA ain't a sport. Pseudo-sport at best.

Didn't Ortega answer "four" when Herb showed 2 or 3 fingers? Then he showed 1 finger & his corner answered for him

just watched it again, Ortega said "One, two" which clearly shows that he couldn't even count fingers. They let him fight anyway lmao what a joke.
There are reasons why MMA ain't a sport. Pseudo-sport at best.
Yep.

It's more entertainment than sport

Back