Why do Brazilian fighters gas so easily?

Canadianmofo

White Belt
Reaction score
While amazing martial artists and amazing athletes, many Brazilian fighters seem to tank fast when getting wrestled/grappled for any significant amount of time. Is BJJ cardio dfferent from Wrestling based cardio? I have trained some BJJ and I was gassed after rolling for an hour, what is the difference from training wrestling for an hour?

Anderson gassed vs. Chael
Vitor gasses against everyone
Aldo gassed vs. Hominick
Cigano tonight
Silva vs. Fitch

The list goes on and on. Too much sun, not enough treadmill?

Anderson didn't gas against Chael. This thread is stupid.

Cain gassed because of adrenaline.

EDIT: i was trying to say JDS sorry.

They having to much sex with the Brazilian ass and gassing before the fight.

JDS didn't gas tonight, he got the shit beat out of him. There is a difference. He was out of it after that big punch landed in the first.

I don't think Brazilians are any more prone to gassing than anyone else that didn't start with amateur wrestling. Wrestling training stresses core strength which allows you to maintain cardio for longer periods of time when pressing the action in grappling. Most people that start wrestling early have greater core strength and therefore more effective cardio.

JDS didn't gas tonight, he got the shit beat out of him. There is a difference. He was out of it after that big punch landed in the first.

I don't think Brazilians are any more prone to gassing than anyone else that didn't start with amateur wrestling. Wrestling training stresses core strength which allows you to maintain cardio for longer periods of time when pressing the action in grappling. Most people that start wrestling early have greater core strength and therefore more effective cardio.

Thanks for the info man, good to know.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Anderson gassing against Sonnen.

How did anderson gas against Chael.....

Give me a fucking break with this gassing out shit. Has anyone ever been in a fight?

Good post, its possible to grapple and do BJJ for an hour, there's always breaks here and there, vying for position, chances to give your cardio a break.

Try wrestling for an hour, you'd be dead, its incredibly different the cardio you have doing amateur wrestling vs. Bjj or grappling.

While amazing martial artists and amazing athletes, many Brazilian fighters seem to tank fast when getting wrestled/grappled for any significant amount of time. Is BJJ cardio dfferent from Wrestling based cardio? I have trained some BJJ and I was gassed after rolling for an hour, what is the difference from training wrestling for an hour?

Aldo gassed vs. Hominick
Cigano tonight
Silva vs. Fitch

Chael is a wrestler that grinds you to exhaustion
Aldo had a bad weight cut
Cain is a wrestler that grinds you to exhaustion
Fitch is a wrestler that grinds you to exhaustion

Study the opponents before commenting.

lmao so you're branding a whole nation?

why do CERTAIN fighters gas would be a better question.. ugh..

Big/lil Nog, Wandy, Royce Gracie had endless stamina.

Aldo gassed vs. Hominick
Cigano tonight
Silva vs. Fitch

I'd argue that if anything, Chael gassed in the last round against Anderson. Review the last round again, and notice the outcome. Getting caught like that is often a sign of exhaustion.

Back