why do boxers jump rope?

So i boxed for like 8 months and i decided to take the summer off as i wasnt able to get into the gym as much, well summers almost over so ill be going back in a couple weeks but it seems like my arms get tired easily now. Ill be doing something with them and they just get burned out fast i definitly dont want me hands dropping when i get back is there something i can do that will allow them feel relaxed and normal or is it some kind of medical condition i should consult a doctor with.

I am 6'4 and I really suck at jumping rope. Any suggestions ?

Jump more.

So i boxed for like 8 months and i decided to take the summer off as i wasnt able to get into the gym as much, well summers almost over so ill be going back in a couple weeks but it seems like my arms get tired easily now. Ill be doing something with them and they just get burned out fast i definitly dont want me hands dropping when i get back is there something i can do that will allow them feel relaxed and normal or is it some kind of medical condition i should consult a doctor with.

You jut got weaker. When you get back to speed muscle memory will kick in and you'll be fine.

You jut got weaker. When you get back to speed muscle memory will kick in and you'll be fine.

Appreciate it when i first started noticing it i was like fuck my arms are shot so i thank the actual information.

I am 6'4 and I really suck at jumping rope. Any suggestions ?

Maybe you need a longer rope? If you stand in the middle of the rope it should reach until your armpits. I'm 5'6 so I had to cut mine a bit. Made it a lot easier.

Its the fun way to get in shape i'd always take jump rope over running.

Maybe you need a longer rope? If you stand in the middle of the rope it should reach until your armpits. I'm 5'6 so I had to cut mine a bit. Made it a lot easier.

Yeah, definitely gotta check the length of the rope if you're tall. I'm 6' 4", also and I use a 10' rope. They usually don't sell those in stores, so I had to order mine online. I got mine from Title Boxing, but I'm sure there are others.

Its the fun way to get in shape i'd always take jump rope over running.

One does not, and should not, substitute for the other.

After reading this thread yesterday I went out and got me a jump rope. Man this is hard. but I know in time I will get better. My best was 70 skips.

Skipping is not as good as running for losing weight, its benefits are cardio, speed, footwork, balance and also its possiable to skip when its raining, snowing, 40 degrees C outside whatever.
Once you get into and get better you will one enjoy it more plus get more benfits.

Aim for 10 minutes a day before training after a week you will be cranking.

I skip just about everyday. I try to skip in between super sets to keep the sweat going. I go 3-6 mins at once. Once I was able to time the rhythmic motion skipping became fun. I do it for fun, everything else that comes with it is a bonus.

Yeah, definitely gotta check the length of the rope if you're tall. I'm 6' 4", also and I use a 10' rope. They usually don't sell those in stores, so I had to order mine online. I got mine from Title Boxing, but I'm sure there are others.

I'm also 6'4 and bought the longest speed rope amazon had. I guess it was probably 10'. Then I ended up cutting a foot or so off of it anyway.

Any tips on WHERE to jump rope? I don't have access to a gym 24/7 (only a "normal" gym and I certainly don't want to go skipping there)

I don't have enough space in my room to do it, and to be honest I'm afraid of looking like an idiot doing it outside where anybody can see! I'm also just starting and I'm pretty bad now. I used to use a rope-style rope, and I could go like 5 minutes non-stop, but this is a plastic speed rope and after 10 seconds I start tripping on it.

Too bad this exercise is considered "gay" by most people :(

I have no trouble jumping rope in the living room with an 8' ceiling.

Though I can't imaging having a problem doing it at any kind of gym. People certainly do way dorkier stuff on the matts at my gym. Wear a shirt that advertises boxing supplies to provide the proper context..

Skipping is great, I don't think it looks pansy at all. Unless there are two little girls holding the rope and spinning it for you.

Skipping is great, I don't think it looks pansy at all. Unless there are two little girls holding the rope and spinning it for you.

LOL. I always thought jumping rope was for footwork and rhythm.

Oh really? About the 1:12 mark:

to stay in touch with our feminine side.

i just tried it out again today. im getting crushed. my max was 17 ! and now i feel as if im going to cramp my thighs. i was wearing slippers though. I dont know how long do you think it will take untill i get bettter i can probably do it everyday for more than 30 min

Back