International Why do Americans not claim to be English?

Maybe it's because Italian Americans and Irish Americans are so loud and annoying with that shit that they drown out everyone else.
The Italians and Irish had a rather rough go of it as immigrants though. Here in New Orleans they lunched a bunch of Italians and the Creole HATED the Irish Channel.
The Irish though when they got here were treated ALMOST as bad as the blacks. Literally they'd get off the boat in New York, be forced to sign papers and were sent to the frontlines of the Civil War.

If you notice, most of the "pride in backgrounds" ethnicity are those that were persecuted in some fashion.

EDIT:
I know it's a movie but what Bill the Butcher did in Gangs of New York legit happened.

I always found it fascinating how Irish immigrants in the US Army defected to fight alongside the Mexicans in the Mexican American War due to how Americans treated them.
How are you American again?

Maybe he's prone to heart disease?

A very small percentage of Americans have been outside of the US, so to them, England is:

1. a once-occupying force.
2. Beholden to an inbred monarchy.
3. fish and chips
4. spots o' tea
5. butterteeth

Nothing to be proud of there if that is the extent of one's knowledge of England.

You're right, my bad for being snappy. I've had a lot of people tell me "You're not American" and worse when I've told people how I identify here, so I was on edge. I get that it's unique and very uncommon for someone to identify as a citizen of another country, but to me it's really not. I was born in Canada, and I've lived here my whole life, but I think I embody an American more, and I stand more in line with the 'American way' so to speak. I've always knew and thought I was an American and it's taken a while for me to fully embrace being American.

The same way people identify as different genders and all sorts of different things on the spectrum, people like me do not quite yet have decent representation. I think in the future people will be able to identify with other countries and be understood more easily.
No worries. What do you see as the American way?

I find the American way as an eternal struggle, our freedom and our protection of speech has meant we have been arguing since the very beginning. We've had conservative voices, we've had liberal voices, but what I think has made our identity is that we are made up many voices and they all matter.

That extends to our culture. And it's why it's so hard to define what is American. We're a melting pot. How do you think being American differs from being Canadian?

Cuz y'all got beat buy some farmers.

soldier-bunker-Viet-Cong-Vietnam-War.jpg

Because most of us aren't. Most of us are diluted. I'm about 25% English. I just don't really find much reason to bring it up.
The English didn't have that large of a genetic impact. Irish and Germans did.
I'm zero English.
I'm a quarter Irish, quarter Ukrainian and half Mexican. Would be silly to say I'm English.

Most white Americans are
1. German
2. Scottish
3. Irish
4. Scotch-Irish

few actually have a good sense of their heritage.

For example, many of the so-called German-Americans are actually from countries outside Germany today but they identify as German because their ancestors immigrated from Prussian empire. (They don’t know that but that’s what it is)

have a conversation with the average American and you’ll find that they’re completely clueless about this kind of stuff.

also many Americans don’t even understand that being white is synonymous with being racially European- every white American thinks theyre unique for being of European ancestry.
this is not totally right.

On the germans, most were german in areas then populated by ethnic germans. There was a huge ethnic cleansing after WW2 of ethnic germans in states where they were minorities as well as areas with german majorities.

In terms of the British background of most Americans, there is no way Scottish is significantly higher than English. We're talking about a country with 1/10th the population of England.

Irish-American is very high compared to the mother country population because most Irish immigrated as catholics during the potato famine so they had huge families.

There is a problem sussing out the number and breakdown of british-americans because for one they're families have been in the US so long, and two they tend to consider themselves as Americans with no hyphenation because they have descended from groups who most forged the American culture.

The English didn't have that large of a genetic impact. Irish and Germans did.
I'm zero English.
I'm a quarter Irish, quarter Ukrainian and half Mexican. Would be silly to say I'm English.
I'm a mongrel but mostly Irish, Brit, German and Italian/Portuguese in that order descending. I am of European descent I guess ,but have no family that has lived there in many generations.

Actually a lot of Americans claimed English ancestry until 1980s n it was largest ethnic group in USA.

Since then most claim American n there’s many reasons why

most are of mixed backgrounds n usually go with minority (cooler) side.

American de facto means English. They created the country.

also when you have your own country you create your own identity.

That’s why Latin Americans don’t identify as Spaniards or Brazilians as Portuguese’s

or Austrians or Swiss as germans

Belgians as French...

Moldovans as Romanians

Montenegrins as serbs...

They're called W.A.S.P.s here, White Anglo-Saxon Protestants

No worries. What do you see as the American way?

I find the American way as an eternal struggle, our freedom and our protection of speech has meant we have been arguing since the very beginning. We've had conservative voices, we've had liberal voices, but what I think has made our identity is that we are made up many voices and they all matter.

That extends to our culture. And it's why it's so hard to define what is American. We're a melting pot. How do you think being American differs from being Canadian?

I like the American do it and don't complain attitude. People work hard and dream big. Canadians are more complacent. I also think Americans speak their mind more, whereas Canadians are worried about being polite.

*edit: I met a man from Mexico city and was around him a lot for a month last year, he would always correct American's when they claimed to be American. His argument was North American is but one of three America's and he is as much American being from Mexico as i am, i think. I told him to call himself American then don't tell me what to call myself...

*edit 2: didn't mean to quote myself, but i can't delete it...
I have heard that a couple of times from people from latin-americas countries but it's not widely held. Obviously it's stupid lol.

Nope. People from Africa are not African Americans.
this is not totally right.

On the germans, most were german in areas then populated by ethnic germans. There was a huge ethnic cleansing after WW2 of ethnic germans in states where they were minorities as well as areas with german majorities.

In terms of the British background of most Americans, there is no way Scottish is significantly higher than English. We're talking about a country with 1/10th the population of England.

Irish-American is very high compared to the mother country population because most Irish immigrated as catholics during the potato famine so they had huge families.

There is a problem sussing out the number and breakdown of british-americans because for one they're families have been in the US so long, and two they tend to consider themselves as Americans with no hyphenation because they have descended from groups who most forged the American culture.

Us census bro

Back