International Why do Americans not claim to be English?

I'm very much connected to & proud of my English heritage but that's because of the fact that both sets of my grandparents were straight off the boat from Sussex, England just before the first world war. So my ties are very close to my ancestral home as all four of them spoke with heavy English accents, used the British vernacular, customs, traditions etc.. It was a very cool way to grow up & I honor it with a tattoo of the Union Jack on my shoulder.

With that writing you're clearly not English

Antonio Brown, is that you?

I might be wrong but it has a lot to do with what culture you're more familiar with or like more.

Maybe where you live. Where I live we use the terms properly. I would not recommend going to Africa and calling the people African Americans.
Thats not really what I mean. Dark skinned south Americans or Islanders will often be called African American just because they are black. People decide to call you that based on what color you are, they don't learn your personal family history.

How are you American again?

I've been over this with you. Take it to the WR lounge if you want and don't derail this thread with your usually bigotry towards me. I identify as American and that makes me American. You can try and deny me my existence and my reality if it makes you that insecure and petty that you feel the need to tell me I'm something you don't believe I am.

I've been over this with you. Take it to the WR lounge if you want and don't derail this thread with your usually bigotry towards me. I identify as American and that makes me American. You can try and deny me my existence and my reality if it makes you that insecure and petty that you feel the need to tell me I'm something you don't believe I am.
Holy cow, calm down you snowflake. I don't remember everything about you, I was just curious because that's an unusual thing for someone to claim outside of expatriates who live outside of North America. Odd for a Canadian to say. I figured your perspective could offer some insight to the thread.

Thats not really what I mean. Dark skinned south Americans or Islanders will often be called African American just because they are black. People decide to call you that based on what color you are, they don't learn your personal family history.

I've never heard of that. I don't know where you live but that isn't a thing in California. Dark skinned south Americans are Hispanic/Latino.

Last edited:
I mean it's still technically true in the sense they have similar origins in the Americas and have been here just as long. I don't really think the thread is about other people lumping people together by their own definitions, but people's view of their own identity.

Holy cow, calm down you snowflake. I don't remember everything about you, I was just curious because that's an unusual thing for someone to claim outside of expatriates who live outside of North America. Odd for a Canadian to say. I figured your perspective could offer some insight to the thread.

You're right, my bad for being snappy. I've had a lot of people tell me "You're not American" and worse when I've told people how I identify here, so I was on edge. I get that it's unique and very uncommon for someone to identify as a citizen of another country, but to me it's really not. I was born in Canada, and I've lived here my whole life, but I think I embody an American more, and I stand more in line with the 'American way' so to speak. I've always knew and thought I was an American and it's taken a while for me to fully embrace being American.

The same way people identify as different genders and all sorts of different things on the spectrum, people like me do not quite yet have decent representation. I think in the future people will be able to identify with other countries and be understood more easily.

I stopped referring to black people as african american as much as i don't refer to myself as polish american. Our ancestors are from all over the world and i've heard some people say they're English in addition to whatever other country.

Do people from England when referring to their ethnicity claim other European countries? for example...

"Ey, Mate? Cheerio... what are you mate?"

"Me?"

"aye"

"I'm English innit, and Syrian..."... bad example... "I'm English innit, and Russian and Austrian"....

because who wants to be english?

A11466.jpg

I stopped referring to black people as african american as much as i don't refer to myself as polish american. Our ancestors are from all over the world and i've heard some people say they're English in addition to whatever other country.

Do people from England when referring to their ethnicity claim other European countries? for example...

"Ey, Mate? Cheerio... what are you mate?"

"Me?"

"aye"

"I'm English innit, and Syrian..."... bad example... "I'm English innit, and Russian and Austrian"....

*edit: I met a man from Mexico city and was around him a lot for a month last year, he would always correct American's when they claimed to be American. His argument was North American is but one of three America's and he is as much American being from Mexico as i am, i think. I told him to call himself American then don't tell me what to call myself...

*edit 2: didn't mean to quote myself, but i can't delete it...

*edit: I met a man from Mexico city and was around him a lot for a month last year, he would always correct American's when they claimed to be American. His argument was North American is but one of three America's and he is as much American being from Mexico as i am, i think. I told him to call himself American then don't tell me what to call myself...

*edit 2: didn't mean to quote myself, but i can't delete it...
That is very interesting and not something I have ever thought of

We beat you in two wars and removed the Queen from our money unlike the Aussies and Canucks. Fuck England.

Unless you count circulating foreign coinage, which the early colonists certainly used for trade -- i.e. the gold and silver of Spain, France, etc. -- we've never had a monarch on our currency.

The Kingdom of Hawaii had minted their own coins and they eventually circulated around the United States, but it was before they had joined the Union.

That is very interesting and not something I have ever thought of
I thought the same. He is an awesome dude but hung up on this pet peeve. I find a parallel to when i was in 8th grade and i'd say something to my teacher like "i'd seen the game last night" and she would correct me and say "you saw?" and i'd say "nope, i'm pretty sure i'd seen it"...

Nope. People from Africa are not African Americans. Gospel, blues, R&B, hip hop, soul food, etc. These are things that rose out of African American culture.

Bullshit. It's just a PC term to make some people feel better. Did the NFL rise out of African American culture?

cuz we won a war about it

but also those who are english-american do talk about it. there just aren't as many as you'd think. americans are from all over the place.

Bullshit. It's just a PC term to make some people feel better. Did the NFL rise out of African American culture?

I don't even know to respond to this. Lol at the ignorance. Friggin millennials.

There's literally a month to celebrate African American culture and it predates your stupid PC culture war by many decades. My mother marched with King. But I guess that didn't happen because some moron on sherdog says so.

Back